Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling Pet Hates

• RMweb Premium

and my new pet hate is......

pantographs not reaching the overhead wire.

and the third is pantographs down when the train is moving.

Has anyone succeeded in creating an exhibition layout on more than one board, that avoids these two problems? Perhaps I should add, without using contact wire that is several factors overscale.

It is hard enough on a permanent installation. If the pantograph rests on the contact wire it frequently distorts it - permanently - between the masts. For an exhibition layout you also have to contend with disconnecting the catenary at the board junctions - which seems to involve either a lot of (de-)soldering or some very ugly bits of joining catenary.

If someone has a better solution, I would love to know.

• RMweb Premium

...well I could have gone on for pages.....I didn't mention the hordes of molded figures in various frozen action poses standing in pools of dried glue, often at bizarre angles.......

Perhaps people like modelling a human statue convention.

Andy,

it is probably one of the best examples of the impossibility of scaling down certain physical parameters. The same applies to telegraph wire, fencing, etc. You can't get sufficient scale weight and force required to tension fine wire for it to work.

So what looks best, a loco with the pantograph partially raised and realistic OHLE, or pantograph up and oversize OHLE?

Jol

• RMweb Premium

How about this for a layout plan...

Station name to be Garstleigh

Oval OO roundy roundy with curves at each end that show off the overhang of full length coaches really well

At least one place in the oval where "Everything always comes off there".

Through station modelled entirely with second hand buildings bought  at swap-meets or on ebay

Platforms with curved end ramps that don't match the track layout.

Haphazard arrangement of signals that are never operated - mixture of overbright colour-lights and semaphores with drooping arms

loco stock to be a mixture of rail blue diesels and steam locos in pre-nationalization liveries

locos only run at speeds that challenge Mallard's record

The only goods train to be headed by an HST power car

Peco track with end sleepers cut away to accomodate joiners leaving a inch or two of unsupported rail

Girder bridge over line, with two spans but no pier under the join

village made with Airfix "cottage" kits painted with gloss enamels and illuminated from inside with very bright bulbs

You forgot to add the thick layer of dust coating everything.

Is it just me or is Garstleigh a brilliant name for a station it sounds like it should be a real station.

The one thing I hate to see is vehicles facing straight onto a backboard it just looks wrong whereas vehicles facing away look ok.

• RMweb Gold

It has already been done, too many times....   :jester:

By the way the correct spelling is Garstleigh - get it right, please. :sarcastichand:

I am sure all of us are guilty of one or more of those howlers when starting out. I just do not understand exhibition managers who seem blind to them. Or is is desperation 'oh no someones withdrawn their layout oh I know Fred said he had a layout that wil do'......

Of course you realise some people will be giving Dock Green a critical look over :jester: :jester:  Still they will be hard put to find much fault it is a damn good layout.

Don

Oval OO roundy roundy with curves at each end that show off the overhang of full length coaches really well

Through station modelled entirely with second hand buildings bought  at swap-meets or on ebay

Haphazard arrangement of signals that are never operated - mixture of overbright colour-lights and semaphores with drooping arms

loco stock to be a mixture of rail blue diesels and steam locos in pre-nationalization liveries

Peco track with end sleepers cut away to accomodate joiners leaving a inch or two of unsupported rail

village made with Airfix "cottage" kits painted with gloss enamels and illuminated from inside with very bright bulbs

Erm, you rang, Sir?  Think I have all these, but make up for it by not bothering with signals...

• RMweb Premium

IMTS........................ :jester:

Cheers,

Mick

Of course you realise some people will be giving Dock Green a critical look over :jester: :jester:  Still they will be hard put to find much fault it is a damn good layout.

Don

Thanks for the comment Don.

My leg-pulling post was not aimed at a particular target, although it does seem to have hit a nerve. I was keen to lighten the mood of this topic a little....

Dock Green? Well now I hope people do look at it with a critical eye. It isn't perfect and there are aspects of the layout which I am aware are "wrong" not least the existence of the Borough of Dock Green! Other peoples' opinions are always welcome and if they find things wrong I am always prepared to listen. After all visitors to an exhibition have paid and by taking a layout to a show I consider I have invited comment. I do reserve the right to politely ignore suggestions I don't like, nodding sagely and silently demurring.

Oh, and I should add - don't expect to see an HST power car.

Have you got a plan for Garstleigh? It's bound to be popular as so many people build it :)

I got hold of a VHS a few years ago called "How to build your layout" or some such title. I finally gave up when they carefully described how to nail the track to the chipboard baseboard.

One thing that irks me is people who try and tell everyone that just because x detail is wrong and y detail is a fraction of .1 of a mm off, that we should all boycott RTR. I admire those who can build kits well, and I am constantly blown away by some of the projects I see here on RMweb, but I currently prefer buying my locomotives RTR. While they may have a few compromises, it is fine in my eyes, and really as it's my money, isn't that all that matters?

Is it just me or is Garstleigh a brilliant name for a station it sounds like it should be a real station.

Yes, it's just you. :sungum:

Don't forget about Hor Rd station just up the tracks as well!

(If anyone is asking Hor Rd=Horrid)

One thing that irks me is people who try and tell everyone that just because x detail is wrong and y detail is a fraction of .1 of a mm off, that we should all boycott RTR. I admire those who can build kits well, and I am constantly blown away by some of the projects I see here on RMweb, but I currently prefer buying my locomotives RTR. While they may have a few compromises, it is fine in my eyes, and really as it's my money, isn't that all that matters?

Don't forget about Hor Rd station just up the tracks as well!

(If anyone is asking Hor Rd=Horrid)

I usually find that it is the "frothing" threads of the RTR collectors that criticise what has been produced for them.

Mind you, it can be a bit irksome to hear someone wailing that the manufacturers don't make what you desperately need, when you have just built one from a readily available kit.

Have you got a plan for Garstleigh? It's bound to be popular as so many people build it :)

Garstleigh must be built without any plan. A box full of second-hand track is emptied onto the slightly warped baseboard (possibly a folding pasting table) and then arranged in a pattern that fits the space. Too many LH points and not enough RHs? No problem, a few wiggles in the track and voila - Garstleigh!

• RMweb Premium

Have you, by any chance been looking at the Dock Green topic.......?

I have just had a look. I was thinking of a local club layout much as you described with a canal that disappears in a tunnel under a railway cutting. A friend of mine who is a civil engineer pointed it out to me as he was surprised by the arrangement. I wonder if they took their inspiration from this forum.

As for those nice curved point levers no end of modellers have them facing the wrong way. They are an early H&S feature. Wagons being shunted in the trailing direction will push the blades over if they are set against them. This is not possible with model railways. When approaching in the facing direction and they are set the wrong way the shunter (human type) needs to re-set them. The lever always faces away from the point towards the oncoming train so the shunter can see the train and keep himself out of the way. There is crank gubbins under the lever which changes the point and allows the lever to face the right direction. The older straight levers which would face the way the point was set often left the shunter (human type) with his back to the train and in a noisy yard he might not hear the train and splat, another letter on condolence needed to be written.

There is another type of lever, a straight one with a foot peddle, these are found at spring point. A spring point returns to is "normal" route once a trailing wagon or train has passed. Most facing trains would take the normal route. If on the odd occasion a train, loco, wagon etc. needs to go down other route then the lever needs to pulled, the shunter (human type) presses down with his foot on the peddle, this holds the spring over so he can pull the lever. They were/are not the easiest levers to pull as the spring wants to catapult the person pulling it. Again this type of lever faces away from the point.

I have just had a look. I was thinking of a local club layout much as you described with a canal that disappears in a tunnel under a railway cutting. A friend of mine who is a civil engineer pointed it out to me as he was surprised by the arrangement. I wonder if they took their inspiration from this forum.

As for those nice curved point levers no end of modellers have them facing the wrong way. They are an early H&S feature. Wagons being shunted in the trailing direction will push the blades over if they are set against them. This is not possible with model railways. When approaching in the facing direction and they are set the wrong way the shunter (human type) needs to re-set them. The lever always faces away from the point towards the oncoming train so the shunter can see the train and keep himself out of the way. There is crank gubbins under the lever which changes the point and allows the lever to face the right direction. The older straight levers which would face the way the point was set often left the shunter (human type) with his back to the train and in a noisy yard he might not hear the train and splat, another letter on condolence needed to be written.

There is another type of lever, a straight one with a foot peddle, these are found at spring point. A spring point returns to is "normal" route once a trailing wagon or train has passed. Most facing trains would take the normal route. If on the odd occasion a train, loco, wagon etc. needs to go down other route then the lever needs to pulled, the shunter (human type) presses down with his foot on the peddle, this holds the spring over so he can pull the lever. They were/are not the easiest levers to pull as the spring wants to catapult the person pulling it. Again this type of lever faces away from the point.

Could you explain that again with pictures?

• RMweb Premium
I hate it when my wife calls my trainset "that pile of c?@p in the corner".

On a similar point my wife refers to everything in my workshop as junk.

She doesn't seem to understood the principle of 'it will come in useful one day'.

• RMweb Premium

Gastleigh- You missed the bus on the bridge...

steve

And the articulated truck that has no way of getting in or out of the location without the use of a heavy lift crane.

Cheers,

Mick

Archived