Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling Pet Hates

...looking at several colour images (where possible) of your preferred location/period gives a good guide to the degree of weathering/toning down required to achieve the 'look and feel' of that time. Ex works locos/wagons/coaches were often few and far between with the vast majority faded/dirtied to various degrees.

Dave 

Just ask them what colour perspective they think you should be using. That should shut them up because unless they're artists they've almost certainly never head of it. I'm convinced that a lot of models look more toylike because they're painted the "correct" colour but that's too intense when we're looking at it from the equivalent of at least fifty and more often several hundred feet away.

Here's a fantastic example of that to show what colour perspective looks like when done well.  Note that it's not just weathering, it's the whole toning down of the the colour 'scale'

Mint Athearn:

post-238-0-69558500-1397206452_thumb.jpg

Toned Athearn:

post-238-0-24247700-1397206507.jpg

Forgot to add earlier, the beautiful F45 is from this website, the best weathered diesels I've ever come across.  I only hope I get to be that good one day.

Here's a fantastic example of that to show what colour perspective looks like when done well.  Note that it's not just weathering, it's the whole toning down of the the colour 'scale'

Mint Athearn:

attachicon.gifATHG67665.jpg

Toned Athearn:

attachicon.gifATSF5950-DSC_9768.jpg

To reinforce Dr G-B's point, when I post the odd snap of a layout at an exhibition, there's a temptation to up the colour saturation to make it a bit more eye-catching. However, reducing the saturation makes the picture more realistic.

To reinforce Dr G-B's point, when I post the odd snap of a layout at an exhibition, there's a temptation to up the colour saturation to make it a bit more eye-catching. However, reducing the saturation makes the picture more realistic.

"Reducing the saturation" sounds like a bit like squinting a lot, I rest my case me lord. :jester:

As it happens he is an "informed railway modeller."

steve

Indeed Colin has retired to look after his "Black Cat". It is a fact that flat and square baseboards can be made to look anything but flat and square but the opposite is rarely the case. I would refer anyone to "Hospital Gates", as a good example of the former.  :declare:

My main pet hate is when operators think the models either have super acceleration or fantastic brakes which can stop a full 6 coach train in about 20 scale meters.The last model show i did as an operator i made sure that the trains l ran kept to scale (ish) speeds including when a train stopped at a station it started slowing down as soon as it appeared from the fiddle yard and then when it set off it was not at full speed when it 'disappeared' into the fiddle. I think it makes a layout just that little bit more realistic 

And one that really makes me walk away from a layout is when a unfitted freight train is going as fast as if not faster then express passenger trains.

Agreed Jamie, I like to see some attempt at realistic operation.  Even when I'm running my trains at home I cringe every time I'm a bit harsh accelerating away or slowing to a stop.

Of course it must be difficult not to slip up once or twice in the course of a 7 or 8 hour exhibition.  I'm having a go at exhibiting later this year, I wonder how many pet hates people will spot on my flat, rectangular board? ;)

• 6 months later...

Three pet hates. One a brand new one (well I didn't spot it this thread).

Picking up on Jamie Dunn's, how about trains being shunted that overtake express trains?

and my new pet hate is......

pantographs not reaching the overhead wire.

and the third is pantographs down when the train is moving.

• RMweb Gold

My pet hate:  The negative attitude of this thread!

Stop being curmudgeonly and go and have fun everyone :)

(and, yes, I did hypocritically add something to the list a few months ago)

Spoilsport. This is a thread where we can have a good moan without offending anyone on their own thread.

Don

How about this for a layout plan...

Station name to be Garstleigh

Oval OO roundy roundy with curves at each end that show off the overhang of full length coaches really well

At least one place in the oval where "Everything always comes off there".

Through station modelled entirely with second hand buildings bought  at swap-meets or on ebay

Platforms with curved end ramps that don't match the track layout.

Haphazard arrangement of signals that are never operated - mixture of overbright colour-lights and semaphores with drooping arms

loco stock to be a mixture of rail blue diesels and steam locos in pre-nationalization liveries

locos only run at speeds that challenge Mallard's record

The only goods train to be headed by an HST power car

Peco track with end sleepers cut away to accomodate joiners leaving a inch or two of unsupported rail

Girder bridge over line, with two spans but no pier under the join

village made with Airfix "cottage" kits painted with gloss enamels and illuminated from inside with very bright bulbs

• RMweb Premium

Oval OO roundy roundy with curves at each end that show off the overhang of full length coaches really well

Through station modelled entirely with second hand buildings bought  at swap-meets or on ebay

Haphazard arrangement of signals that are never operated - mixture of overbright colour-lights and semaphores with drooping arms

loco stock to be a mixture of rail blue diesels and steam locos in pre-nationalization liveries

Peco track with end sleepers cut away to accomodate joiners leaving a inch or two of unsupported rail

village made with Airfix "cottage" kits painted with gloss enamels and illuminated from inside with very bright bulbs

I've seen that layout many times at exhibitions. You forgot the mixture of S, HO and 00 road vehicles usually on a narrow overbridge.

• RMweb Premium

I've seen that layout many times at exhibitions. You forgot the mixture of S, HO and 00 road vehicles usually on a narrow overbridge.

Shame to see it at an exhibition if it's not presented as a 'this is where you start' layout, but most of this is symptomatic of someone wanting to create a model railway but not yet having the skills or knowledge to get it 'right' - I'm sure most young modellers started with a jumble of stock and buildings that caught their eye and took their fancy, but gradually learned how the real thing ran and made the changes and improvements to create something more realistic; that's what I did...

Only real problem comes when the owner of the above refuses to be told what's realistic and what's not and insists that their interpretation should be accepted as top-drawer modelling...!

David

...well I could have gone on for pages.....I didn't mention the hordes of molded figures in various frozen action poses standing in pools of dried glue, often at bizarre angles.......

Shame to see it at an exhibition if it's not presented as a 'this is where you start' layout, but most of this is symptomatic of someone wanting to create a model railway but not yet having the skills or knowledge to get it 'right' - I'm sure most young modellers started with a jumble of stock and buildings that caught their eye and took their fancy, but gradually learned how the real thing ran and made the changes and improvements to create something more realistic; that's what I did...

Only real problem comes when the owner of the above refuses to be told what's realistic and what's not and insists that their interpretation should be accepted as top-drawer modelling...!

David

You got it right with the first few words "Shame to see it at an exhibition". In the privacy of your own home, between consenting adults, anything goes but please don't inflict "Garstleigh" on an unsuspecting public.  :jester:

To clarify things I think you should add "locos and rolling stock that don't match for period, location, etc.). So a preserved King next to an original 10001 with a rake or LSWR carriages, or a GNR Atlantic and a SECR C Class.

Just the sort of layout I have occasionally seen in one of the mainstream magazines.

Archived