LarkRail (Was CamRail)

Gordon A

CamRail that was held in Bradford on Avon has for this year moved to Larkhall on the east side of Bath, and is know called LarkRail.

post-7071-0-13093600-1373113565_thumb.jpg

As you see the exhibition is only on for one day.

The center of Larkhall has a nice village feel to it with a wide variety of shops and is only a short bus ride or drive away from Bath city center.

Parking is mainly on street and restricted in the village center to 30 minutes so you may have to hunt around a few side roads and be prepared for a short stroll.

I am aware that Gerry Beale will be attending with two base boards from his Maiden Newton project, Laurie Griffin (7mm), and Jerry Clifford among others flying the 2mm flag.

Yours truly will be domonstrating the techniques of hand built track in 4mm alng with Noel Anderson talking about his wagon bashing escapades.

There is local pub, cafe and other food shops within a few minutes walk of the hall.

I am advised that further details will be added in due course.

Gordon A

Bristol

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully 'further details' will include hot to get there from Bath station for those of us who are unfamiliar with local 'bus routes?  I have always enjoyed Camrail as it's been a smashing little show and it had the advantage of being very easy to access by trains - this venue appears to be larger but is also rather a long way from Bath station for those such as me with arthritic knees so I hope it isn't too difficult to get at.

• RMweb Premium

Mike, 'buses are either the 6 or the 7 from Bath Bus Station (next to the Bath Spa) through to Larkhall Square which is half way between the show venue and Simon's Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop, and its only a few minutes walk between the two. http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/bristol_bath/journey_planning/timetables/timetable.php?day=2&source_id=2&service=6/7&routeid=7756371&operator=3&source=sp

• RMweb Gold

Mike, 'buses are either the 6 or the 7 from Bath Bus Station (next to the Bath Spa) through to Larkhall Square which is half way between the show venue and Simon's Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop, and its only a few minutes walk between the two. http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/bristol_bath/journey_planning/timetables/timetable.php?day=2&source_id=2&service=6/7&routeid=7756371&operator=3&source=sp

Thanks Adrian - next step is to avoid explaining to Mr Stationmaster that I might be popping down to Bath ;)

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much for posting this up Gordon and nice to see you this morning.

I will be adding/confirming more details, but today I have mostly been drawing a map to show where the likely parking spaces are and also the positions of the bus stops on the two routes that serve the area from the centre of Bath.

post-19301-0-34265100-1373131965_thumb.jpg

Hope you can read that, feel free to ask questions.

Chris Nevard is also one of the exhibitors with his very clever and fascinating Polbrock Gurney layout and Chistopher Payne is bringing his "Pynton Tramway" as recently featured in "Railway Modeller".

Link to my webpage for show here, I will be adding further details shortly and as they as are confirmed!

Simon

Note: Apologies, the bus service along the main road is the 13 and not the 213

• RMweb Gold

This should be a great little show, although followers of CamRail need to take note that this one is one day only - the Saturday.

One good thing is that the full range of books in Simon's shop is literally 30 seconds walk from the venue!

Also, I will be assisting with the refreshments again!

• RMweb Gold

The Cap'n is a fair hand at sarnie making so more of a recommendation I would say.

Whilst his sandwich making skills cannot be disputed its his banana sales techniques which are revered in these parts!!

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

There is a lot of parking around the side streets and the bookshop alone is worth the visit :) I'd recommend printing off Simons map though as it is a bit if a warren and I was glad I planned my first visit with a decent map to hand.

Fortune appears to be smiling on the roster so I'm hoping to make it.

• RMweb Gold

'bus timetable duly extracted - after a lot of delving and burrowing - from the 'net and linked below for anyone else who might be using the train for the first (no, this is not an advert!) part of their journey

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/bristol_bath/journey_planning/timetables/timetable.php?day=2&source_id=2&service=6/7&routeid=7756371&operator=3&source=sp

• RMweb Gold

Blimey the mobile version is not an easy site to navigate on the phone! It was just giving please select with no options the first time you enter a page and asking direction when you have no idea of the route.

If it's a nice day I'll probably walk from the station but if its too hot that's very useful (once you persevere) thanks Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Blimey the mobile version is not an easy site to navigate on the phone! It was just giving please select with no options the first time you enter a page and asking direction when you have no idea of the route.

If it's a nice day I'll probably walk from the station but if its too hot that's very useful (once you persevere) thanks Mike.

I'm not surprised Paul - it took me about 10 goes to get to that page and that includes the fact thaht having actually got to the services and entering the fact that I wanted Bath it kept giving me routes in Brizzle.

• RMweb Gold

Another few confirmations for Larkrail on the 20th

Brian Osborn and his excellent "Branchlines" stand will be attending, Paul Marshall-Potter is very kindly bringing "Albion Yard" down to Larkrail for the day and the estimable John Bruce is bringing his EM "Works Yard".

Simon

• RMweb Gold

Late addition:

Fred Phipps himself should be attending, with his completed 1/32 body for the new 1/32 D600 "Warship" kit. He will be installed next to master modeller Steve Harrod (of "Worcester Road" fame), who is demonstrating building one of Fred's Class 29 in 1/32 (Gauge One) and will also be displaying one other of his fabulously well finished 1/32 locos.

To give you an idea of the quality of Fred's work, here is a picture of one of his Class 22 locos out in the evening sunshine a few weeks ago.

post-19301-0-82770000-1373873821.jpg

One week to go!

Simon

Just got back (via Alice Park with the rest of the family), I have to say Simon and the team put on a cracking little show. The layouts were all fantastic, as fan of smaller end to end layouts, they were all really up my street. My youngest loved the child zone and watching the roundy-roundies, great to see some of the efforts of youngsters at a "modellers" show. Nouvion was also popular with my lad as he kept dragging me back there, great to see a nice layout showing what can be done on a budget. The place seem very busy this morning so hopefully has been a success, can't wait to see what happens next year.

• RMweb Gold

Superb little show, the cake was good too

post-6968-0-09723900-1374337378.jpg

post-6968-0-63415800-1374337390.jpg

Chris was there with Polbrock, even better in 3D

post-6968-0-53738800-1374337409.jpg

His assistant operator appears to be some kind of Tribble

post-6968-0-28025100-1374337420.jpg

And a nitty lighting rig using led strips seem here

post-6968-0-85488900-1374337439.jpg

And don't forget the temptations across the road at the bookshop, my wallet was lightened considerably :)

• RMweb Gold

An excellent show (well it would have been odd if it hadn't been as Camrail is unfailingly a cracker of show) although the dangers of re-siting near 'The Titifield Thunderbolt' were considerable - an extremely well stocked shop for quality railway titles and the helpful staff take your money with a cheery smile ;)

Among the unusual sights at Polbrock Gurney was this little fellah which appeared by slight of hand by one Cap'N Kernow - and it ran quite nicely and managed a satisfactory complement of wagons -

post-6859-0-40010200-1374351795_thumb.jpg

Archived