Locomotive portraits

chaz

Taken with your back to the roundhouse entrance, probably Royal Scot 46101 parked somewhere to the left - my god you could have bumped into me - Willesden, closed 50 years ago day before yesterday.

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

Taken with your back to the roundhouse entrance, probably Royal Scot 46101 parked somewhere to the left - my god you could have bumped into me - Willesden, closed 50 years ago day before yesterday.

It was quite a place, wasn't it, Bike2steam? I went there about half dozen times (it was expensive for me, as a schoolboy, to get to as I then lived in Northfleet, Kent. From memory, the railfare was about 10/-, a film around 5/6 and printing and all that a further 5 or 6/-. As I was getting 10/- per week fro my paper round and my deliveries included Saturdays, it was difficult to fit in) My freind and I used to get in via a hole in the fence on the canal side.

I did see a Royal Scot there once as a 4-4-0 - its rear wheels had been removed for some reason. Oh how I wish I'd been able to take decent photos! But then you can wish your life away!

Cliff

Hey cheeky, I'm not that old, like you just a school-boy on a 5 bob Twin-Rover ticket from Ongar. Like you my trips were funded by a paper-round, but a mate covered for me on Saturday mornings as I was always on the 5.14 train out of Ongar. I only had a Box Brownie camera in those days, and you think your pics are bad. The 'hole in the wall' was Old Oak, entrance to Willesden was a quick walk for a little way along the road entrance, then along the canal side of the main running-shed wall. The last pic looks like 46101 in the middle, it stayed there for a few months 'till being dragged off to the scrapper. To a young lad who likes steam locos, visits to the combination of Willesden+ Old Oak was a dream. :sungum:

Hey cheeky, I'm not that old, like you just a school-boy on a 5 bob Twin-Rover ticket from Ongar. Like you my trips were funded by a paper-round, but a mate covered for me on Saturday mornings as I was always on the 5.14 train out of Ongar. I only had a Box Brownie camera in those days, and you think your pics are bad. The 'hole in the wall' was Old Oak, entrance to Willesden was a quick walk for a little way along the road entrance, then along the canal side of the main running-shed wall. The last pic looks like 46101 in the middle, it stayed there for a few months 'till being dragged off to the scrapper. To a young lad who likes steam locos, visits to the combination of Willesden+ Old Oak was a dream. :sungum:

Sorry bike2steam - I hadn't really looked at the figure closely, and hope I haven't offended you, but now having looked at him under magnification, I can see that he was a railwayman of mature years (and well our senior) who on looking at this callow youth probably imputed to me that my presence in the shed was not strictly necessary to the efficient running of British Railways and in some ways not even desirable, even if he couldn't put his finger on the actual reasons for this, and that I might like to consider removing myself from the premises sharpo...

Cliff

A couple more not-very-good-un's, but may interest you.

Holbeck in, I think, '66

Regards to all,

Cliff

PS I think the loco the other side of the N7 is "The Great Marquess" the excellent photo of which was posted by Bluebottle. 

post-2411-0-59243400-1443951032_thumb.jpg

post-2411-0-21350200-1443951075_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Some shots from the US of A:

post-19481-0-68286800-1443954166_thumb.jpg

Somewhere between Phoenix and the Grand Canyon, I nearly got the car stuck in snow as I pulled over to take the picture!

post-19481-0-07504100-1443954239_thumb.jpg

A "plinthed" loco at the Grand Canyon.

post-19481-0-50821300-1443954282_thumb.jpgpost-19481-0-89750200-1443954296_thumb.jpg

3 truck shay locomotive at the Sugar Pine Railroad in Yosemite Valley. 

• Like 5

A couple more not-very-good-un's, but may interest you.

Holbeck in, I think, '66

Regards to all,

Cliff

PS I think the loco the other side of the N7 is "The Great Marquess" the excellent photo of which was posted by Bluebottle.

Nice pics, but think it was Neville Hill shed - but not 100% sure.

Battle of Britain Class 34070 'Manston' arriving at Corfe Castle, 4th October 2015:

post-20657-0-22792800-1443970207_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

Here we are, bike2steam, the "Royal Scot" as 4-4-0 at Willesden around the same time that the others (above) although I think for this trip I'd borrowed my brother's 35mm (a "Kowa" if memory serves) It's 46115 "Scots Guardsman", although its sans nameplates as well as its rear drivers.

The photo is awful - sorry - and I scanned it from a phot that was itself badly produced by a colleague who was learning to print. It was free, so I shouldn't grumble. If/when I come across the negative, I'll give it another try.

Regards,

Cliff

post-2411-0-83987600-1444049045_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

J15 and friend at Sheringham before 2004 (as I got my first digital camera that year)

Another scanned photo

Cliff

Nice shot. The buffer stops are long gone, and work began last week to demolish the Tourist Information office and toilet block (seen behind the J15) to allow the existing run-round loop to be lengthened a little. Should allow an extra coach length or so in the platform.

A pair of up-to-date photos - for me.

When my daughter was still in Sheffield, I spent a little time on a footbridge a little north of Chesterfield station. For this excursion I used my film camera, Pentax ME Super with a Tamron lens. The film was Kentmere 400ASA, the day overcast. It was the first time I'd used my film camera for about 8 or 9 years and, strange to relate, I'd half-forgotten how to, for instance, I omitted to manually wind on the film, missing a good shot or two. 

Cliff

post-2411-0-94006600-1444313991.jpg

post-2411-0-15672500-1444314014.jpg

• Like 4