New economy sound locos?

owentherail

But what liveries? It does rather make a difference!

I'd rather hopped that Bachmann would do as they have done with the US range and introduce a more basic loco with sound, aiming for under the £100 mark. That would have certainly made an impact!

Luke

• RMweb Premium

<ponder>

What does the New Economy sound like?

</ponder>

The Nim.

Tumbleweed blown down an empty high street, past the closed Modelzone.

Sorry, you asked for it.

• RMweb Premium

It says "Economy Range of Sound Locos", not "Locos with Economy sound"

I reckon it's just Bachmann clearing out some stock. They regularly seem to shift stuff at low prices - recent examples are the 37/5's and XC Voyager/170.

Sound locos at £140-ish (or less) aren't uncommon from the major retailers.

£129 for a Class 44

£139 for a Class 25

Freighliner sold off their stock of sound 57's and 66's for about those prices recently.

Cheers,

Mick

I reckon it's just Bachmann clearing out some stock.

Don't think so, they've never done a sound pannier or 45XX with sound before

But what liveries are these going to be?

At that price I'm not sure it matters as you can always repaint but whatever scheme they choose for the 37 they'll upset someone for sure.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

But what liveries are these going to be? :dontknow:

LNER Garter Blue for the 45xx

Network Rail Yellow for the 5MT

BFYE for the Pannier

Stroudley Improved Engine green for the Class 20

LNWR Blackberry Blue with full lining for the Class 37

Not listed is the chocolate and cream Mk 1 support coach that will continually whine about the broad gauge.

Regards

Richard

The actual announcement is as follows:

Bachmann Europe has today announced that it is introducing a new range of economy sound locomotives.

Using newly introduced technology the sound system uses the conventional 21pin DCC socket.

Five locomotives are to receive the Economy Sound package initially and these are:

35-600 Class 20 (RRP £143)

35-625 Class 37 (RRP £148.85)

35-650 45xx 2-6-2T

35-675 57xx Pannier Tank (RRP £132)

35-700 BR 5MT 4-6-0 (RRP £181)

The new sound system can be used on both DCC and DC analogue systems giving Bachmann OO DC users a sound option for the first time.

David Haarhaus, Bachmann's European Sales and Marketing Manager said "we are delighted to introduce a new quality sound system which has all the benefits of earlier systems but is now much more economical to produce. We can now pass those savings on to our customers. We are sure these are going to be popular with many DCC and DC analogue users over the coming years"

Bachmann displayed the 37 and 20 in GSYP liveries and the Prairie in BR green late crest livery, I took the chance to have a play and cast an ear over the sounds and I'd say there's an improvement of the 20s sound over the initial release some years ago. All of the sound projects are from prototype working locos here in the UK and are not generic sounds. The sound functions may be less numerous than other products but they do deliver value for money and it was greeted with a good deal of enthusiasm from the retailers I spoke to today.

45xx sound functions:

F1 Main whistle

F2 Shunt whistle

F3 Short whistle

F4 Steam release

F5 Coal shovelling

F6 Inertia bypass

F7 Shunt mode

F8 Mute

Class 20 and Class 37 functions:

F0(f) Head light

F0® Tail light

F1 Engine on/off

F2 Horn 1

F3 Horn 2

F6 Inertia bypass

F7 Shunt mode

F8 Mute

F9 Two-tone horn sequence

I wonder if they're using ESU Select as in the US?

Cheers,

Mick

The announcement says Soundtraxx which is definitely not ESU.  Bachmann US to my knowledge has a deal with Tsunami Soundtraxx not ESU for their inexpensive sound engines.  I own an S2 and the sound is okay.It was my first foray into sound and as I say it is okay, not terrific.Horizon/Athearn and other US importer/manufacturers also tend to use Tsunami rather than ESU. You don't have to translate into German for technical discussions.  Tsunami refers to the wave of sound the product produces and they are located with manufacturing in Colorado. High end sound decoders are made in the US and shipped to the locomotive manufacturers in China to be installed per the importer/manufacturers specifications. I will have to check but maybe Tsunami they did license manufacture of the Bachmann simplified decoders to Kader in China.

Personally I would hope that Tsunami would develop more sound programs for UK locomotives or that third party developers create these programs for full function Tsunami decoders. I can then use these more NMRA compliant Tsunami decoders than ESU Loksound with their gazillion CV settings.

• RMweb Premium

The announcement says Soundtraxx which is definitely not ESU.  Bachmann US to my knowledge has a deal with Tsunami Soundtraxx not ESU for their inexpensive sound engines. 

Having now seen the press release, then soundtraxx could be a good way.

I've heard a couple of them on Bachmann US steam stuff and they seem pretty good.

Agreed it is about time for another player to enter the UK market beyond the two normal suspects.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I have a Bachmann USA diesel with economy sound (the ones in a red box) and it sounds pretty good but with less sound functions. However at a show we dont really use the full range of sounds so it has turned out to be a good purchase. If the UK ones are as good as this USA one then its going to be a good option to the more expensive decoders.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

ESU Loksounds already have the ability to work on DC as long as one of those gazillion CV settings is errrrr.... set. (Pretty certain it's a standard setting on recent Bachmann locos anyway)

Can't say I've had a play with a sound loco on DC, but I believe the sound will kick in as soon as the decoder detects track power and rev/move accordingly in the case of a diesel. Other sounds such as horns are probably not available.

I've seen/heard a sound fitted loco on DC a few years ago -  think it may have been a Tsunami chip - and by varying the DC volts, you could initiate various functions. For example, quickly turning up and down the controller would sound the whistle.

I'm sure someone will give a more comprehensive answer.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

A good move by Bachmann, hopefully this will see the price of UK sound locos heading in the right direction (for us), rather than spiralling upwards.

Hang on, how do sound chips work on DC?? I am intrigued

David

The ESU LokSound decoders used to date simply need CV13 set to a value of 1 to enable sound on DC. Most Bachmann sound releases to date have not had this set (ie CV13=0) whereas Hornby's have from the factory. 

I have set the sound to work on DC for a few friends with DC layouts when they purchased Bachmann locos with sound.

When on DC, only the basic engine sounds, random sounds and braking sounds are available.

Archived