Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Show us your scratchbuilt building

I did spray the brickpaper after it was printed with a cheap hair lacquer but it didn't stop this happening.

Not sure of the cause, it was in a dry shed with no windows.

attachicon.gifShed Front.jpg

attachicon.gifShed Rear.jpg

Another thought, had the brick paper been recently added and was it completely dry when you sprayed the hair lacquer as this looks like this could be some kind of reaction going on between the two.

Kevin

Another thought, had the brick paper been recently added and was it completely dry when you sprayed the hair lacquer as this looks like this could be some kind of reaction going on between the two.

Kevin

Yes, the brickpaper had been printed a while before I used it. I think I sprayed it after sticking it to the wood. So long ago now.

Also wondering if it was some reaction with the adhesive, a glue stick, and the wood, mdf, but why not all over.

Edited by Free At Last

And you haven't with jibes like the above, and about being hostile and ridiculous?  It would appear that you didn't read my original thread that you have been over sensitive about. I said I have heard that, I didn't say that I agreed or supported it.

But I'm prepared to move on if you're not. So here is the start of my next scratch-build structure:

153354.jpg

Can anyone tell what it is yet?

G.

Grahame wanting the last word?

Don't accept your casting decision that I'm the bad guy.  An unwelcome return off topic; I'd already moved on.

I just want to view the beautiful models here and give them the thumbs up they deserve.

Sorry for not posting to this thread for a very long time, but I was distracted by detailing rolling stock, or doing kits and conversion kits. Back at last to building a building my main station building. I was waiting until it was finished, but at the rate I build things (work commitments mostly!). I thought that maybe I should post as is now, and post more later when it is finished.

It is loosely based on Finchley Road and Hendon stations from the Midland St. Pancras extension in the 1860's, but is for my fictional station Ellerby (not either of the Yorkshire villages of the same name, but named after my daughter's first names Ella B). The design is also skewed to match some available parts like the Wills arches which I am very fond of. Living near York I was fortunate to be able to request to see the original plans of the stations from the NRM archive and photograph them, which was a huge help given to lack of photos  available of the stations. I can't post the photos as they are copyright the NRM. The archive staff there are so helpful and friendly to talk to, a huge 'thank you' to them in realising this build.

I build a thin plywood body which I glue plastic brick sheets on to, which makes a very strong laminate. Probably overkill, but they are really strong if somewhat slow to make.

StnMain51.jpg

Scratch built windows from strips of Evergreen, pieces of plasticard and the lovely shaped sprue from Wills window parts, which makes great carved stone angles (seen at the bottom of the windows).

StnMain48.jpg

StnMain54.jpg

Long winded details of the making of this in my layout thread from post 329/330

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby-layout-and-loco-detailing-back-to-making-buildings-for-a-while/page-14&do=findComment&comment=2397791

The plans I made, which were slightly amended as the build went on, are in post  265

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby-layout-and-loco-detailing-back-to-making-buildings-for-a-while/page-11&do=findComment&comment=2148779

Here is the side view (which had to have a bigger drop to the platform level added and the stairs lengthened):EllerbyPlatSide01.jpg

Hopefully at some point I can post finished images of the building, but don't hold your breath, the real thing was probably built quicker than the rate I go about things.

After this I will be a defector as I have some kit bashing planned, based on a Kibri corner house kit after discovering that was the source for some of the buildings on some of my favourite layouts, Wibdenshaw, Shenstone Road, and a few others.

Thanks to everyone for posting such inspiring work to this thread, from beginners through to those who post absolute masterpieces. Most of all, be inspired by everything here, and then just have a go, post your results, and let people give advice and accolades (or any other words that alliterate starting with 'a').

Jamie

Very impressive, and I look forward to seeing it develop.

And you haven't with jibes like the above, and about being hostile and ridiculous?  It would appear that you didn't read my original thread that you have been over sensitive about. I said I have heard that, I didn't say that I agreed or supported it.

But I'm prepared to move on if you're not. So here is the start of my next scratch-build structure:

153354.jpg

Can anyone tell what it is yet?

G.

Honestly, did you think you were calming the situation down by dragging this up again?  Andy Y said 'leave it'.  Please can we stay on topic?

I was enjoying this thread till the playground comments came from nowhere.  

Sorry for not posting to this thread for a very long time, but I was distracted by detailing rolling stock, or doing kits and conversion kits. Back at last to building a building my main station building. I was waiting until it was finished, but at the rate I build things (work commitments mostly!). I thought that maybe I should post as is now, and post more later when it is finished.

It is loosely based on Finchley Road and Hendon stations from the Midland St. Pancras extension in the 1860's, but is for my fictional station Ellerby (not either of the Yorkshire villages of the same name, but named after my daughter's first names Ella B). The design is also skewed to match some available parts like the Wills arches which I am very fond of. Living near York I was fortunate to be able to request to see the original plans of the stations from the NRM archive and photograph them, which was a huge help given to lack of photos  available of the stations. I can't post the photos as they are copyright the NRM. The archive staff there are so helpful and friendly to talk to, a huge 'thank you' to them in realising this build.

I build a thin plywood body which I glue plastic brick sheets on to, which makes a very strong laminate. Probably overkill, but they are really strong if somewhat slow to make.

StnMain51.jpg

Scratch built windows from strips of Evergreen, pieces of plasticard and the lovely shaped sprue from Wills window parts, which makes great carved stone angles (seen at the bottom of the windows).

StnMain48.jpg

StnMain54.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby-layout-and-loco-detailing-back-to-making-buildings-for-a-while/page-14&do=findComment&comment=2397791

The plans I made, which were slightly amended as the build went on, are in post  265

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53110-ellerby-layout-and-loco-detailing-back-to-making-buildings-for-a-while/page-11&do=findComment&comment=2148779

Here is the side view (which had to have a bigger drop to the platform level added and the stairs lengthened):EllerbyPlatSide01.jpg

Hopefully at some point I can post finished images of the building, but don't hold your breath, the real thing was probably built quicker than the rate I go about things.

After this I will be a defector as I have some kit bashing planned, based on a Kibri corner house kit after discovering that was the source for some of the buildings on some of my favourite layouts, Wibdenshaw, Shenstone Road, and a few others.

Thanks to everyone for posting such inspiring work to this thread, from beginners through to those who post absolute masterpieces. Most of all, be inspired by everything here, and then just have a go, post your results, and let people give advice and accolades (or any other words that alliterate starting with 'a').

Jamie

I agree with Edwardian, this is most impressive.  Somehow much more impressive and convincing that the platform mounted buildings we're used to!  I look forward to seeing how you tackle the other architectural details.

From what I can see Kevin the brickwork doesn't look all that faded but such a beautifully constructed building needs to be saved regardless of how much saving it takes. Certain varnishes however seem to be stained and will lightly darken whatever they're applied to especially those used on yachts and though normally glossy, a final coat of clear matt should result in a flat surface. You could check for stained yacht varnishes on Ebay

So, would this be worth trying on a very small section of the building, say around the base where it can be hidden behind weeds if at all it's not successful ?

Cheers.

Allan. 

Well

I'll certainly look into these varnishes, in fact I have an old tin of International clear yacht varnish in the garage so I dig this out and have a ago.

The other option your comments has sparked is to put a selected paint colour (which one I'll experiment with) into the UV varnish and see if that will have the same result of darkening and bringing back some colour.

In fact the chimney stack seems the best place to work on as it's a lost cause anyway so I might have a play later to see if I can do anything.

If works, or even if it doesn't, I'll pass on the results to help others.

Anyway thanks for the thought and comments.

Luckily the building isn't fixed down so it'll be easy to work on.

Kevin

Allan

I had a go this evening to see what would happen if I added some acrylic brick paint to the UV varnish, as this was also acrylic I reasoned the two would mix OK (which they did) and apply to the faded chimney stack.

Well I was pleasantly surprised that painting it on as a wash, a couple of coats to build it up slowly I was able to make it look a bit redder and more brick like, I know the brick courses have discoloured as well but if you compare the two it definitely looks better.

Will leave to dry thoroughly overnight and see if I can further tweak it tomorrow.

Thanks for providing the comment that sparked the old brain box into gear.

I also painted over all the walls of the engine shed with the same brick varnish wash!!! and it brought the colour out so I would say the whole process was a success so I might have a go on the pub/shop row that has slightly faded as well.

Hope this will helps others suffering with the same problem or in fact just need to liven up some tried old card building but remember to only apply as a thin wash and build up coat be coat checking each time.

Kevin

post-8925-0-16077800-1474830109_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-42779300-1474830127_thumb.jpg

post-8925-0-25032200-1474830417_thumb.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11

StnMain51.jpg

StnMain48.jpg

StnMain54.jpg

Jamie

Looking good even at this stage and can't wait to see the finished result.

I always feel a multi floored station building looks so much more complex and interesting than the standard platform ones.

Kevin

Here is the side view (which had to have a bigger drop to the platform level added and the stairs lengthened):

Jamie

A complex and interesting building, and impressive modelling. Well done.

G.

Don't accept your casting decision that I'm the bad guy.  An unwelcome return off topic; I'd already moved on.

. . . . . . . . Ditto . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Ditto . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Ditto.

I've even posted pics of my current WIP building.

G.

On the varnish issue - for buildings, I have sworn for decades by a couple of coats of Testors' Dull Cote (now called Testor's Spray Laquer), the spray variety normally, although they also do a brush-on version for those times when it's preferable or necessary.

It dries absolutely flat / matt and to date I have had no problems at all with fading... although the train room gets virtually no sun at all.

I use this stuff on virtually everything so long as it needs a matt finish - buildings, people, wagons, painted scenics, back scenes, even the ballast & track (but obviously clean off the top surfaces of the rails afterwards). Locos too if I want then really mucky and flat.

It's a hangover from 30 years of modelling USA narrow gauge stuff, where Dull Cote is generally considered de-rigour, so I just carried it on with my British modelling. Dries hard in minutes. Great for fixing 'chalk' type weathering powders as well.

Certainly works for me.

post-14917-0-83352400-1474851967.jpg

post-14917-0-33736300-1474851991.jpg

- Don

Edited by orford

• RMweb Gold

I'm so glad I actually took notice of the person that originally asked me to post my bridge in this thread, not because of the kind comments of encouragement but because if I hadn't, I'd have never visited it and seen the fantastic stuff you people have been building. I've picked up some fantastic ideas for scenery and building weathering (even though I'm very modern image) which I'm now going to take away and practice to see if I can replicate them. Apologies in advance if I steal anyone else's ideas but please think of it as a compliment.

Mike

• Like 2

I'm so glad I actually took notice of the person that originally asked me to post my bridge in this thread, not because of the kind comments of encouragement but because if I hadn't, I'd have never visited it and seen the fantastic stuff you people have been building. I've picked up some fantastic ideas for scenery and building weathering (even though I'm very modern image) which I'm now going to take away and practice to see if I can replicate them. Apologies in advance if I steal anyone else's ideas but please think of it as a compliment.

Mike

Don't worry about 'nickin' other people's ideas Mike - we all reinvent the wheel sometime or another.

Cheers.

Allan.

Scoobyra - So far as I am concerned, feel free to nick as many ideas as you like. That's how to learn and that's what this forum should be all about...helping others.

And after all, they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - so go for it.

- Don

• RMweb Gold

Scoobyra - So far as I am concerned, feel free to nick as many ideas as you like. That's how to learn and that's what this forum should be all about...helping others.

And after all, they do say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery - so go for it.

- Don

Cheers Don

I found the best way for me to learn was to take RTR / Kits and try to make them look more like the real thing.

If you look at my first effort (which was 6 months ago) and compare it to my bridge, you'll see just how much I've taken on board from asking people questions. This was my take on the Ratio kit of Castle Cary station building to make it more like the modern day version.

post-18825-0-27956200-1474903356_thumb.jpg

When I first did it, I thought it was pretty good but now the roof tiles are way too thick and the whole model is dreadfully bowed, needless to say I'll be dismantling it and rectifying the mistakes!

I'm now looking forward to putting some of my more recently learned tips in to practice. 

Thanks

Mike

Edited by scoobyra

Goods shed now has a roof. I an colouring a master sheet for the slates which will be scanned then printed on 200gsm card,cut and laid. Well that's the plan. I'm hoping to have it done by next week then I can start on the other half

Are they going to be laid as one sheet or cut to give the impression of overlapping tiles?

Kevin

Hi KNP the slates will be cut and laid individually might take a fair time to do though. I have started on the other half of it and will post pics soon. Can any body come with ideas for guttering? Downpipes are not a problem. I have looked at ratio's offering but I think they look a bit small,I have tried splitting tube but gave up cos I like my fingers as they are so any thoughts will be most welcome!!

Steve

Hi KNP the slates will be cut and laid individually might take a fair time to do though. I have started on the other half of it and will post pics soon. Can any body come with ideas for guttering? Downpipes are not a problem. I have looked at ratio's offering but I think they look a bit small,I have tried splitting tube but gave up cos I like my fingers as they are so any thoughts will be most welcome!!

Steve

You can buy half round plastic rod of various widths (its what I use sometimes) or I have seen brass channel used but it's not easy to work with as plastic so that is my preferred option.

I have found it is best to build the tiled roof on the work bench direct onto a sub base then move it to the model.

This how I did most of mine, if you are interested I can post some pictures of how I did it?

Looking at the pictures the platform curve is going to be interesting to cover, will this be tiled or do you plan another type of covering - lead with rolls, wriggly tin for example.

Kevin

Yes, the brickpaper had been printed a while before I used it. I think I sprayed it after sticking it to the wood. So long ago now.

Also wondering if it was some reaction with the adhesive, a glue stick, and the wood, mdf, but why not all over.

What was the timeline?

Steve

Umbrella spokes used to be a favourite for guttering. Never tried it myself but many others have.

Cheers.

Allan. 

• RMweb Gold

Steve

Geoff Taylor (Dewsbury Midland, Gresley Beat ...) uses half-round plastic rod with the 'inside' painted black.

Thanks for the input re guttering there are a few broken brollies in Llanelli's streets and I have to get some scalpel blades on mail order so half round plastic will go on the list.

The curved canopy will be slates this should be o.k. if I mark out levels first. Slates, like tiles can be cut/dressed to show a curve.

Short or tight curves need the sides dressed long or shallow curves have the ends dressed. With this in mind I hope it will go o.k.

Steve

Edited by stevejjjexcov