Show us your scratchbuilt building

Hi KNP the slates will be cut and laid individually might take a fair time to do though. I have started on the other half of it and will post pics soon. Can any body come with ideas for guttering? Downpipes are not a problem. I have looked at ratio's offering but I think they look a bit small,I have tried splitting tube but gave up cos I like my fingers as they are so any thoughts will be most welcome!!

Steve

A few months ago I discovered you can buy rolls of half round wire - here is my Australian supplier, I guess the UK would have similar sources - try craft/beading websites.

I bought 18gauge which works out at 1.02mm wide, ie about 3 inches in 4mm scale.  At just under $7.00 Australian dollars (ie about 20p) its cheap considering you get 7 yards of it to a roll.

Here is their complete range, it comes in various gauges and materials including 12 Karat gold for that extra blingy look to your buildings!

I did buy some of the black,  intending to try it for guttering - thinking I could paint the curved side and leave the flat as black to represent the channel.

But then the great June flood happened here and in between evacuating all my hobby stuff from my slowly submerging  hobby room and stocking my ark with  animals two by two, I've mislaid it!

Edited by monkeysarefun

A few months ago I discovered you can buy rolls of half round wire - here is my Australian supplier, I guess the UK would have similar sources - try craft/beading websites.

I bought 18gauge which works out at 1.02mm wide, ie about 3 inches in 4mm scale. At just under $7.00 Australian dollars (ie about 20p) its cheap considering you get 7 yards of it to a roll.

Here is their complete range, it comes in various gauges and materials including 12 Karat gold for that extra blingy look to your buildings!

I did buy some of the black, intending to try it for guttering - thinking I could paint the curved side and leave the flat as black to represent the channel.

But then the great June flood happened here and in between evacuating all my hobby stuff from my slowly submerging hobby room and stocking my ark with animals two by two, I've mislaid it![/quote

Thanks for that SWMBO makes jewellery so I will ask her what is available on u.k. I hope you are dried out now and everything is ok

Edited by stevejjjexcov

• RMweb Gold

Hi KNP the slates will be cut and laid individually might take a fair time to do though. I have started on the other half of it and will post pics soon. Can any body come with ideas for guttering? Downpipes are not a problem. I have looked at ratio's offering but I think they look a bit small,I have tried splitting tube but gave up cos I like my fingers as they are so any thoughts will be most welcome!!

Steve

I but the 1.5mm and 2mm half-round for the guttering, and matching full round for the downpipes, sprayed black. You can introduce the downpipe bends by very quickly allowing the rod to pass through a lighter flame, then quickly bending it to shape (holding over a soldering iron might work as well).

For the roof tiles, I use York Modelmaking self-adhesive tiles. They come in strips, peel off the paper and stick on over-lapping as you go - pricey, but definitely worth it. Cost me £18 to tile my engine shed!

http://www.yorkmodelmaking.co.uk/00-scale/tiles-and-ridges/00-scale-grey-slates-tiles

post-21193-0-65585700-1474971239_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's the £18 that puts me off Ian. It cost £1 for 50 sheets of 200gsm card from a well known shop(everything £1) ink we have had for years and the cost of printer ink if I use the printer. You may have realised I don't like spending money lol I am on pre-stretched finances as it is so I do like to be frugal. Some friends do say I'm just tight,short arms deep pockets ect. I will however by good quality ply when I start baseboard construction

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's the £18 that puts me off Ian. It cost £1 for 50 sheets of 200gsm card from a well known shop(everything £1) ink we have had for years and the cost of printer ink if I use the printer. You may have realised I don't like spending money lol I am on pre-stretched finances as it is so I do like to be frugal. Some friends do say I'm just tight,short arms deep pockets ect. I will however by good quality ply when I start baseboard construction

Steve

I am pretty sure one day my finance situation will change (family planning lol) so I will fully understand the need to save hard earned cash and use ingenuity instead of ready-made!! I have also used ready to use card sheets from Barleycorn which are reasonable. These are good value, don't have too much relief and you just cut the sheet to size. www.barleycorndesigns.co.uk. They are based in Norfolk and make some very nice card kits. I've used their roof tiles on the buildings at the back of the layout where the detail is not so important.

Here's a little development on the structure I'm currently building. Obviously, again, it's compressed and simplyfied, and contains a lot of concrete cast parts that provide more functionality than just a building.

105804.jpg

141209.jpg

On the second pic the blue card is only temporarily put in place to give an indication of where the building will be. So can you tell what it is supposed to be yet?

G.

• Like 1

The cafe looks great Alant, how did you do your own signs?

Thanks.

The lunches and snacks ones I created using Paint and the menu board was done with Word. I already had the Walls one, can't remember where that was from.

Here's my first properly scratch built building. Have done scalescenes kits before so used the tried and trusted card and printed paper method to make this.

20160928_212936_zpszpnwv0rm.jpg

20160928_212953_zpswppgq7jz.jpg

Not modelled on any particular mine, but inspiration taken from many I see whenever I go out on my bike

Edited by Foo
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Foo,

I notice there are some creases in the paper covering the chimney - inevitable when the former is conical and large sheets of paper are used.

If you cut thin strips of paper where you cut along the mortar line ( so not straight for the stone work you"ve used) you should be able add those strips without creases. If you work upwards, each strip should line up with the one lower down, but a prior coat of paint in the colour of the mortar will help hide any gaps.

HTH

Stu

Edit: To clarify, each strip of paper would be 3-5 rows of stonework, more where there is less conicalness.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Here's my first properly scratch built building. Have done scalescenes kits before so used the tried and trusted card and printed paper method to make this.

Not modelled on any particular mine, but inspiration taken from many I see whenever I go out on my bike

A Cornish engine house I presume Foo ? Nice job so far.

I built several of these for Andy Duncan of Duncans Models many years ago and he was a 'mine' of information on the subject of Cornish tin mines and sent me plans, photographs and drawings and also several books explaining how they were constructed and most interestingly how they hauled a 10 ton cast iron beam up into place using ropes, horses and plenty of manpower.

I no longer have the books and plans etc otherwise I could have scanned any relevant information for you albeit I do have some photographs of the models should you be interested.

Cheers.

Allan 

• Like 1

It's great to see some first time scratchbuilds here from both Foo and Wigan Wallgate amongst others. I hope this thread has encouraged more people to have a go at this side of our hobby.

Thanks for sharing with us all.

I hope that one day my work can be half as good as yours!

Thanks, I am sure that with experience your work will be. I started many years ago with Superquick buildings and then after reading Allan Downe's early articles in the Railway Modeller started scratchbuilding.

Allan, you have a lot to answer for!

Alan.

Was the Americans Whitney K Towers and John Allen who first got me interested - which probably explains why around 30 or so years of my 40-odd years modelling was American railroads (although these days I'm pretty much 100% British prototype).

Allan Downes has ALWAYS been an inspiration when it comes to buildings though.

That is a really great start, and I am sure will be a very impressive model on completion.  I look forward to seeing it progress.