Show us your scratchbuilt building

I have slowly been building a copy of the old Kingsbridge station, sadly no longer with us, for my Salcombe Harbour layout. It's nearly finished but I do need to get some valancing made as there is no commercially available valance that will suit it. The Kingsbridge line had a particular style of valance and from what I have been able to work out was quite deep at about 3ft.The flaunching round the chimney pots is Milliput and the doors and windows are etches I had made from plans.

post-8259-0-48597600-1383951967.jpg

post-8259-0-84874300-1383951967.jpg

post-8259-0-23000700-1383951968.jpg

post-8259-0-66603900-1383951968.jpg

post-8259-0-02367900-1383951969.jpg

post-8259-0-55407200-1383951969.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have much current and certainly nothing up to the standard of those pictured in this thread but here my rather old and dated N gauge contribution; 

The basic inspiration (apologies for the poor pic - it was taken from a passing train):

wyp2.jpg

Under construction:

76ch.jpg

Nearly finished with details like window dressings and drain pipes to add:

jaxo.jpg

G.

• Like 14

Hi there,

Here are some pics of my "Scratchbuilt" works in Liège, Belgium. Those are HO (1/87th) scale buildings that can be found yet nowadays in Liège.

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Here a view of a small street market scene. The buildings in the background were all scratchbuilt from PVC Board, Slaters and Evergreen styrene sheets and profiles. The stone street has been carved in some insulation foam board (Dépron) and the lot was painted with Vallejo's acrylics.

Here are now two pictures of my latest scratchbuilding project : St Vincent Church in Liège (borrough of "Les Vennes"). This one took me two years to do it, more than 500 hours of work, and some engeneering tricks (the domes were made from decorate-yourself PVC Xmas baubles covered with individual paper-cut copper plates... 60 hrs to cover the lot...)

The building was made from PVC board and Evergreen Styrene strips, painted & weathered with Vallejo's acrylics.

Hope you'll enjoy those two buildings from across the Channel.

Eric.

PS : For more about my own GWR buildings & dioramas / layout project (Leddysh Gate), see this topic : http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78792-rickys-leddysh-gate-workbench/

Edited by alderson.eric.j
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I was kindly advised that I should put a few pics of some of my models up on here. These are all scratchbuilt out of various materials, card, timber (North Eastern Lumber), styrene (both Evergreen & Plastruct) and a variety of corrugated card purchased locally. All models are for my layout Kelly Bray, heavily based on Callington.

First up, an unfinished Callington Station building with overall canopy. Plans for this model were purchased from Network Rail Archives. Construction - all styrene with corrugated card roof, Tichy Train Group windows used.

post-14327-0-13116800-1385980174_thumb.jpg

2nd, Callington Goods Shed. Although complete, I will repaint it in the future before setting in place on the layout. This model was built using plans from Network Rail Archives and from various photos I have collected. Construction - card, corrugated card, timber, Scalescenes paper, and Tichy Train Group windows.

post-14327-0-35057900-1385980280_thumb.jpg

3rd, Callington Signal Cabin/Ground Frame. Still needs windows completing... Must learn to paint a little neater ! Construction - styrene, timber, Scalescenes paper, corrugated card Tichy Train Group door and Grandtline windows.

post-14327-0-88783300-1385980407_thumb.jpg

When I'm done with the Provendors Store, I'll post a few pics of that up. I'm currently waiting on more materials...

Cheers for now,

Gary.

• Like 8

Nice work Garry, and since you mentioned painting a little neater may I suggest that in order to get clean cut lines between different colours such as the corner timbers on your signal box, that It would make a much cleaner job if you painted the corner angle sections seperately before attaching to the building as was done here...

post-18579-0-49307000-1385989572.jpg

And here.

post-18579-0-29442900-1385989625.jpg

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

I don't have much current and certainly nothing up to the standard of those pictured in this thread but here my rather old and dated N gauge contribution..

G.

Lovely model, GHASTLY prototype (presumably a 1970s "cheap'n'nasty" construction from some town planner who hadn't been introduced to Mr Good Taste).

Any more work of this calibre to show us?

Nice work Garry, and since you mentioned painting a little neater may I suggest that in order to get clean cut lines between different colours such as the corner timbers on your signal box, that It would make a much cleaner job if you painted the corner angle sections seperately before attaching to the building as was done here...

Cheers.

Allan.

Absolutely right Allan. The only issue I had, was that the corner posts were timber and I had to soak mek into the timber to get it to adhere to the clapbooard styrene. Otherwise prepainting would have been the way to go. Thanks for your input. As I have said on another forum (YMRC), any tips from yourself are quite valuable !

Cheers, Gary.

Absolutely right Allan. The only issue I had, was that the corner posts were timber and I had to soak mek into the timber to get it to adhere to the clapbooard styrene. Otherwise prepainting would have been the way to go. Thanks for your input. As I have said on another forum (YMRC), any tips from yourself are quite valuable !

Cheers, Gary.

Hi Garry.

I'll try and rig up some kind of demo later showing how I get around corner posts on timber clad buildings.

Cheers.

Allan.

• Like 1

Well there you go, uploading blind !

For the demo Garry I have used clap boarding but it will still work on whatever you use.

As the picture shows, just lightly score down the back and gently part fold, run a strip of masking tape doen along the score line and then fold fully.

The fold will probably snap but the tape will hold it together.

Now the corner post shown here has been placed in position just for demo purposes but in reality I would have painted it first then very carefully glued.. it into the corner fold as seen.

Then with the whole section formed, I would then back it all up with 2mm card for strength and  to give anybody a hard time should they, and for whatever reason, feel inclined to pull it apart!!

Cheers.

Allan.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Speaking of cattle docks, here is one I built my son for his layout 'Jacks Corner'. The cattle dock is based on the one at Highley, from a few photos off the net. As luck would have it, Bachmann produced a model not that long after I completed this model. This is made of card, embosed card, embosed styrene, brass rod and the Ratio Concrete Fence Posts kit

post-14327-0-65656600-1386224421_thumb.jpg

Prior to this cattle dock, my son needed a signal box, so a plan was drawn up and this was produced... Ok, it doesn't have point rodding etc, but it was built for a 5 1/2 year old ! Construction - Evergreen styrene strip & clapboard, card, embosed card, Peco tiled roof, Grandtline windows and door, staircase off an old Dapol signal box kit.

post-14327-0-01550500-1386224604_thumb.jpg

I must admit that I got a little carried away with the build which included an interior, all scratchbuilt. Please excuse the oversized light ! The stove is an old Lego brick which has been modified and the kettle is off cuts of sprue and brass wire. All the furniture is Northeastern Lumber and the notice board is framed styrene. The levers are just out of shot behind the black corner bracing.

post-14327-0-28724400-1386224730_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Gary.

• Like 12

Thanks Allan. How is Immingham by the way? I used to live at East Halton.

Couple more pics, it is still very much work in progress. I thought retirement would bring loads of spare time......I wish!

All the buildings are from Shillingstone completed just before Bachmann announced theirs. However using card and brickpaper they cost considerably less. I had intended to model Shillingstone but as with most modellers the idea was bigger than the space available! So a branch off the S&D to Shaftesbury was conceived.

post-7345-0-53260400-1386864256_thumb.jpg

post-7345-0-90641200-1386864413_thumb.jpg

post-7345-0-80178700-1386864454_thumb.jpg

post-7345-0-69410200-1386864513_thumb.jpg

post-7345-0-86979200-1386864588_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

This is just work in progress

post-17012-0-23821500-1387131751_thumb.jpg

I normally laser engrave brickwork on my model buildings but for some time have been wondering if there was a better way of producing stonework other than scribing clay or plaster.

A Warley show there was tucked up the top end of the hall a sales stand for Bromley Craft Products (usual disclaimers about no connection etc) and by the second day I actually noticed it and had a nose.

Well I have just had a chance to use there stuff and had a go and this is the initial results of which I am most pleased, unfortunately it was quite cad intensive for me as they don't produce their stencils in 10mm scale so I have had to draw and cut my own custom ones for the building (NER Romaldkirk Station).

I am hoping once detailed finish painted and varnished it could be a route forwards.

I will update once I have made some more progress.

• Like 7