The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Forum Jokes Thread

Colin_McLeod

Message added by AY Mod,

Sexist, racist or religious jokes aren't funny - keep them to yourself!

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Yes but that's because they've been insidiously weaning people off this safety feature.

Conveniently ignoring the fact that PSTN lines were never guaranteed to be 100% reliable either. The exchange may have had batteries (how good were BT at maintaining batteries in latter years?), but the street cabling had 1000s of guys keeping them working.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Conveniently ignoring the fact that PSTN lines were never guaranteed to be 100% reliable either. The exchange may have had batteries (how good were BT at maintaining batteries in latter years?), but the street cabling had 1000s of guys keeping them working.

As in all such comparisons, it's a question of relative risk. Yes, there was risk before; is the risk now greater? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

As in all such comparisons, it's a question of relative risk. Yes, there was risk before; is the risk now greater? 

Indeed.

There are a couple of factors that should be taken in to account - that's one of them, and it's the type of situation that's often mistakenkly handwaved away with "well the previous one wasn't perfect anyway" (nothing ever is).

The other one, somewhat in the other direction, is that even if the risk is higher is it high enough for it to make sense worrying about?  It's easy to get hung up on "but what if...?" but it can be rather unhelpful.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

image.png.d203e14ff8ea0d974b6ed4532c1ac506.png

Always on the carpet and never the ceramic tiles.

I should add that our last dog only went, when he became old and unwell. Still suitably ashamed of himself, but it was the carpet!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Reorte said:

Indeed.

There are a couple of factors that should be taken in to account - that's one of them, and it's the type of situation that's often mistakenkly handwaved away with "well the previous one wasn't perfect anyway" (nothing ever is).

The other one, somewhat in the other direction, is that even if the risk is higher is it high enough for it to make sense worrying about?  It's easy to get hung up on "but what if...?" but it can be rather unhelpful.

I don't know about 'handwaving' it off. Fact is if fewer and fewer people are using the old system, it becomes totally uneconomic to have 2 systems running side by side, the old one requiring the same amount of maintenance that historically it always has.

We don't offer a choice of whether we want to catch a regular train service, Kings Cross to Newcastle, using either A4 steam, Deltic diesel or the latest electric. Yes, I'm aware that some wouldn't be choosing the fastest service, but the point is, why isn't the choice offered? We know the answer!

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

image.png.d203e14ff8ea0d974b6ed4532c1ac506.png

16 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Always on the carpet and never the ceramic tiles.

I should add that our last dog only went, when he became old and unwell. Still suitably ashamed of himself, but it was the carpet!

Easy.  Carpets don't splash!

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I don't know about 'handwaving' it off. Fact is if fewer and fewer people are using the old system, it becomes totally uneconomic to have 2 systems running side by side, the old one requiring the same amount of maintenance that historically it always has.

We don't offer a choice of whether we want to catch a regular train service, Kings Cross to Newcastle, using either A4 steam, Deltic diesel or the latest electric. Yes, I'm aware that some wouldn't be choosing the fastest service, but the point is, why isn't the choice offered? We know the answer!

That's not the point I was making. What I was getting at is attempting to dismiss downsides in the new system simply because the old one wasn't perfect either. That's got nothing to do with arguments about the validity of keeping two going, or choice. I've certainly got opinions on those too, but they're different issues.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Reorte said:

That's not the point I was making. What I was getting at is attempting to dismiss downsides in the new system simply because the old one wasn't perfect either. That's got nothing to do with arguments about the validity of keeping two going, or choice. I've certainly got opinions on those too, but they're different issues.

Some people still complain about being 'forced', to go decimal currency too. Fact is the vast majority don't ever want to go back, counting only those familiar with both.

I would assume that no one born post 1970, would want LSD?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1