BRM - September 2013 issue

SteveCole

... having seen the comment above, and thanks Andy, I realise that the overall content of what I provided BRM was serialised in my blog as I went along, but for BRM I condensed the whole sorry tale into what I hope was an informative and useful little article; it was certainly nice to see my little model across the two pages almost as a centre fold ;) , but the intent was honestly to try to present the whole as a summary. So, yes, those that have witnessed "the journey" will see some repetition, but I would hope that it would be treated as a "I remember when that was in progress"... rather than a look-back-at which it now is. I learnt along the way... and boy did I learn a lot, and I did finally add that the membership on here were on hand when things didn't go well... I've not singled anyone out in particular... because there were a number of you, but you all got a thanks from me... and you still all do. I wondered whether anyone did actually use the blog to see how I've done something ... and it still seems to be visited frequently... and my flickr account that hosts a number of these photos... and others still receives numbers of daily hits on the deltic project... so hopefully they are useful... and the article will be well received by those who pick up the mag. 

I've not fully read it yet... having been away, but there are a number of articles I want to fully digest... possibly more than usual, which is nice. The only crit I could have is the cover looks a bit like last months, so much so that a colleague I showed the mag too said he'd got it already... but couldn't as it wasn't out... so I think he was thinking of last months, and I hope this doesn't detract from shop shelf impact. There ahas been a GWR theme of late on the cover.

Maybe, I'll do another of these articles, if asked, on the small 47 project that still ongoing. For that too, I've kept the progress updates going on my workbench blog pages ... so hopefully a look-back at the best bits could also make a good read... latest image of that's currently in the gallery!

Thanks again Andy.... and BRM for publishing my small write up.

Jonathan

• RMweb Gold

I subscribe to the hard version which arrived yesterday

Is there anyway of getting the right photos for the York footbridge article somewhere - Photos 1-7 are duplicated but the captions are different   - I'm intrigued by the mention of Magnetic Mates but I can only see more painting!

Chris

The only crit I could have is the cover looks a bit like last months, 

I honestly wouldn't disagree with you on that one Jonathan, we'll be accused of a GW bias next*.

Is there anyway of getting the right photos for the York footbridge article somewhere - Photos 1-7 are duplicated but the captions are different   - I'm intrigued by the mention of Magnetic Mates but I can only see more painting!

I'll mention that Chris; I'm sure we can sort something.

*Plenty of goodies for ER fans to come, we just need to encourage the LM/SR mainliners out of their shells a little more!

Got my magazine today. Nice issue, but a shame about the Diary Dates. The Chippenham Show is listed for Sunday 29th September, but it will actually be held on Saturday 28th September.

I don't know how the error happened, but please don't come on Sunday or you will have missed the show.

Geoff Endacott

• Moderators

I subscribe to the hard version which arrived yesterday

Chris

Hello Chris, yes I'm frustrated this happened, especially as I took time Photoshopping every one and putting them in separate folders. It has also turned out back to front; painting commences before the build :O .

Here is what should have been printed:

1: post-8492-0-77396900-1375977894_thumb.jpg

2: post-8492-0-01845200-1375978169_thumb.jpg

3: post-8492-0-72383800-1375978178_thumb.jpg

4: post-8492-0-70630500-1375978187_thumb.jpg

5: post-8492-0-01730800-1375978200_thumb.jpg

6: post-8492-0-94890400-1375978209_thumb.jpg

7: post-8492-0-93713200-1375978220_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

I persuaded myself to buy a copy on the strength of:

1. Nostalgia - nice to have one before the proper title gets trashed

2. Coverage of Thurston

3. Barrow Hill show preview

Sadly, as the pictures of Thurston are so old, the article rather brief, and the preview of Barrow Hill devoid of anything I didn't already know (in fact lacking a lot of what I already know due to its extreme brevity) I'm now wondering why I bothered.

Hungerford was nice, even though it's Green Wet and Rusty stuff, but I'm not excited by yet more on weathering, scenic dressing, Southern buildings, blue-period Southern region electrics, or by articles that seem to suggest that you need all of the most expensive tools you can get in order to build a chassis properly (apologies to the esteemed authors, but you don't need all that gear, much as the manufacturers no doubt like us to buy it). Why also would I need a specially made (but self assembly) £25 workstation to do the same job as a free off-cut of suitable board and a couple of shallow empty cardboard boxes in which to "rack up" my tins of paint etc??? Advertorials masquerading as wise modelling advice? I like the bulk of my hard earned money to appear in the final result, i.e. the model(s), not remain tied up in workshop paraphernalia.

• RMweb Gold

If suppliers provide kit to the editorial staff to review it would be rude then not to do so wouldn't it? I personally have no need for a workstation but did buy a Humbrol one for my eldest when he started building airfix kits - it wouldn't do for all of us to be the same now would it. What do you think the murder rate would be if we were? (to paraphrase a often repeated saying on Team Rock Radio)

• Moderators

Re the York Models footbridge kit.  Is the overall width variable -  to suit the number of tracks / space between platforms etc ? 

TIA

The kit can be built to accommodate 1, 2, 3 or 4 tracks.

Regards,

Howard

The kit can be built to accommodate 1, 2, 3 or 4 tracks.

Regards,

Howard

Many thanks Howard for the quick reply/info.  Any York Models contact details would be most helpful. Tried googling - the results were more like a page 3 variety  :O

Regards

Ken 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Regarding the indecipherable - I can see where I went wrong - I missed the fact there was a page two, my comment was about the camping diorama - the man in beige with the wandering eyes.

I feel such a fool now.

Enjoyed the mag though.

Archived