00 gauge Royal Navy vessels

An Astute Class submarine is 97m (323') in length, so 1.2m (4'3") in 00 scale. That's pretty big.

The Trafalgar class is only slightly smaller (85.4m). The Vanguard Class are even bigger (149.9m).

I can't imagine you will find anything besides bespoke models built to order.

The lines for modern submarines are pretty clean. Perhaps you could build one using something like balsa profiles they way aeroplane models used to be built?

• RMweb Premium

The next largest is an LCT6 which is great for layouts as a few of these may have beenadapted to carry locos and rolling stock durting WW2.

Available from Armagedon a french kit maker. A very dificult kit to build.

Flower Class corvettes aren't modern. And they're very small compared to most modern Royal Navy ships. If Ozexpatriate's maths is right then I think the OP is going to have to look for models of minehunters and patrol boats. The Sandown Class minehunters are a mere 52.5 meters long. No idea where you'd get a scale model though. However as the Royal Navy provides a great deal of sea training for foreign navies the OP could reasonably look for small naval vessels of other European nations. There was also a Trinidad and Tobago coast guard ship in Portsmouth for several months a few years ago.

• RMweb Premium

Even the last diesel electric class are just under a metre long and they were out of service about 20 years ago I think Canada has them now. The possibles would be laid up vessels or patrol craft or possibly part hulls low relief style.

I believe the Canadians have still got said submarines. Nimitz is 333m long according to Wikipedia and 77m wide.

Maybe the solution is a 4mm model of Albion/Bulwark/Ocean with a T scale railway laid out on the upper deck?

I believe the Canadians have still got said submarines. 

Given the problems that have been experienced I think the Navy (Royal Canadian now as it always should have been) wished it had paid for that extended warranty. :read:    Not to mentioning having one bump into the seabed. :blackeye:

John

• RMweb Premium

Large USN Carriers or een the French Clemanceau  cant even get into Plymouth so Lordy knows how big they are :O

USS Enterprise (342m long)  works out at about 4.4m in 4mm scale.

I saw it at Norfolk VA shipyards many years ago, when you could simply drive round as a tourist! It is BIG, with a larger than capital B! The large carriers could only access the Norfolk docks at high tide.

Going OT - USS America (300m long) was also there, being stripped out before it was finally used as a live fire exercise and scuttling in 2005

Cheers,

Mick

It's amazing how big 'stuff is' - slightly off topic (but related) I once wanted to put a cricket pitch on a 00 layout... That would be around 1m diameter!!! (most cricket grounds cover around 100m diameter ish).

Yes, a full size cricket oval is quite big. An informal game on a village green or practice nets are a good way to incorporate cricketers.

An ICC compliant field is huge. (It's actually closer to a diameter of 1.8m in 00, not counting a pavilion, spectators, trees, etc.)

The playing area shall be a minimum of 150 yards (137.16 metres) from boundary to boundary square of the pitch, with the shorter of the two square boundaries being a minimum 65 yards (59.43 metres). The straight boundary at both ends of the pitch shall be a minimum of 70 yards (64.00 metres). Distances shall be measured from the centre of the pitch to be used. In all cases the aim shall be to provide the largest playing area, subject to no boundary exceeding 90 yards (82.29 meters) from the centre of the pitch to be used.

In addition, the conditions require a minimum 3 yard gap between the "rope" and the surrounding fencing or advertising boards.

Flower Class corvettes aren't modern. And they're very small compared to most modern Royal Navy ships. If Ozexpatriate's maths is right then I think the OP is going to have to look for models of minehunters and patrol boats. The Sandown Class minehunters are a mere 52.5 meters long. No idea where you'd get a scale model though. However as the Royal Navy provides a great deal of sea training for foreign navies the OP could reasonably look for small naval vessels of other European nations. There was also a Trinidad and Tobago coast guard ship in Portsmouth for several months a few years ago.

Using 1/2 sandown class mine hunters does seem to be the best option, any ideas where I could source some?

When we lived in Tyneside, we used to drive along the Quayside frequently, where ships and boats would moor when paying official visits. Most were hefty beasts; however, one day we passed a smallish black lump, with a gangway in front of it. It was a submarine, and at low tide, only the conning tower was visible- this might be an answer..

If you want an idea on the relative scale of ships and trains, have a look at the Falmouth Docks thread on here.

Most ships are very long compared with the average layout and, apart from minesweepers, even fairly small warships tend to be long and thin compared with merchant ships of similar tonnage.  One idea you might try is to simply build the bows of a ship and use it at the end of the layout as a scene breaker. It's a sort of longitudinal low relief. You might then have room for a tug or another small vessel at full size on the quay. A typical warship such as a frigate tends to have a rather low bow and an even lower stern for this purpose but a ship like HMS Ocean would certainly fit the bill and like other modern naval vessels seems to have a fairly simple clean shape without the deck clutter and detail that you'd get with a merchant ship. 

This is an idea that was used very effectively by the French modeller Yann Baude for a very small microlayout based on the Quai de Volga in the commercial port of Calais that featured in LocoRevue a few years ago. Here the bows of a largish cargo ship hides the entrance to a fiddle yard at one end while buildings serve the same purpose at the other end. 

http://forum.e-train.fr/download/file.php?id=46169

He used the idea again for a narrow gauge layout but with rather more of a smaller ship at the back of a layout with a quayside building to block the absence of the rest of the ship. 

http://forum.e-train.fr/download/file.php?id=46029

http://www.bernardjunk.fr/2012/expo%20st%20etienne%20-%20mai%202012/img_4189.jpg

It's amazing how big 'stuff is' - slightly off topic (but related) I once wanted to put a cricket pitch on a 00 layout... That would be around 1m diameter!!! (most cricket grounds cover around 100m diameter ish).

A British oak tree can grow to 80' = 12.5" tall in 4mm = 1ft.

Including railway stuff!!

Thinking it might be a useful prototype I measured up a small passing station (Longué in Anjou on the former branch from Saumur to La Fleche and now the terminus of a truncated goods only line) and in H0 it came out at a little over twenty three feet long. Even the most compact single engine in steam BLT isn't all that small: a scale model of the GWR's Shipston-on-Stour with one platform and a couple of sidings would require 11 feet in 4mm scale. You can compress stations and railway yards and choose smaller oak trees but a ship is a single vehicle so it's as big as it is. .

Using 1/2 sandown class mine hunters does seem to be the best option, any ideas where I could source some?

When we lived in Tyneside, we used to drive along the Quayside frequently, where ships and boats would moor when paying official visits. Most were hefty beasts; however, one day we passed a smallish black lump, with a gangway in front of it. It was a submarine, and at low tide, only the conning tower was visible- this might be an answer..

If you want an idea on the relative scale of ships and trains, have a look at the Falmouth Docks thread on here.

Haven't a clue where you could get any suitable models of Sandown class minehunters i'm afraid. If you live near an Antics you could go in and ask them, they don't do anything that big but they may know of somebody who does. You could also look at Archer class patrol vessels or HMS Gleaner which is a mere 15m long. Again I have no idea on models although Gleaner could possibly be kitbashed from a trawler kit assuming a suitable one exists.

Otherwise I think Fat Controller is onto a good idea although it is normal for quite a lot of the boat to be visible when it is surfaced and, of course, you'd have to think very carefully about the end on the layout in order to avoid having a submarine with a wall built on its upper deck.

Failing that, what about about modelling a section of dockyard used by the Royal Marines and their landing craft? That would call for a large number of small craft although I don't know if any suitable models exist.

Archived