Barrow Hill Live!

Crisis Rail

• 1 month later...

In response to "crisisrails" initial enquiry am pretty sure Barrow Hill Live is taking place on September 28th and 29th 2013.

As I sent off all the "invite blurbs" back to Dave the exhibition manager last week.

They are celebrating 160 years of Doncaster!!!

And some things really are worth celebrating.

Please come along and say hello.

SAD and everyone at Salmon Pastures

• 2 weeks later...

I for one will be supporting the new Barrow Hill event. It's very disappointing (as an MR subscriber) that MR have abandoned Barrow Hill, as it gave the event a unique selling point and making it stand out from every other model railway show. No doubt the Newark venue will be perfectly functional (a smaller Warley) but sadly lacking in the wonderful atmosphere and variety of railway experiences that you got at Barrow Hill, from restored signal boxes to live steam. Looking forward to celebrating Doncaster's enormous railway heritage at the end of September.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a quick update on Barrow Hill Live 2013.

There is little detail on the Barrow Hill web site but if you go to the link below, which is the joint organisers / Chesterfield Club's site there is a lot more info.

Look forward to seeing everyone there,,,, Alan "westerner" Davies will be assisting on this one  but he won't be bringing any of his Brunswick Green's with him!!!!! 

http://www.littlemidlandsociety.co.uk/page7.html

SAD at Salmon Pastures.

• 1 month later...

avw.php?zoneid=54&cb=INSERT_RANDOM_NUMBE

http://www.barrowhill.org/links/barrowhilllive.pdf

Barrow Hill Live!

Delebrating 160 years of Doncaster Works.

28th-29th September 2013

Campbell Drive, Barrow Hill,

Chesterfield, Derbyshire S43 2PR

Show open 10am-5pm

Early entrance for advance ticket holders 9.30am

Model layouts in a wide range of gauges and full size steam and diesel locomotives including A1 60163 'Tornado'.

Entry includes:

• FREE steam train & brake van rides

• FREE show guide

• FREE modelling demonstrations

• FREE miniature train rides

Tickets available from

www.theticketfactory.com

or by telephoning 0844 338 8000

Barrow Hill is located in the centre of the country just off junction 29A or 30 of the M1 motorway.

Follow the A619 until you see the brown tourist signs for Barrow Hill Roundhouse.

Advance tickets from The Ticket Factory*

(First price = advanced tickets, second price = on the day)

Adult £11.00 £13.00

Barrow Hill Member £9.00 £11.00

Children aged 5-15** £6.00 £7.00

Under 5s free entry

Family £30.00 £33.00 (2 adults and 2 children)

Shuttle Rail ticket (return) £5.50pp £6.00pp

Tickets for the shuttle train can only be bought when purchasing an event ticket

* A £1 booking fee per transaction is also payable.

** All children must be accompanied by an adult.

Awaiting full list exhibitors.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

does anyone know which trade stands are attending this,  Please i cant find a list anywhere cheers

I found this by clicking on the4 Mallard link on News and Events but no traders.

http://www.barrowhill.org/links/bhillpressrelease.pdf

Polly

• 4 weeks later...

With just a week to go, it would be nice to know if we are going to get any RMWebbers visiting us at the Pastures.

North of England Line is attending, so I will pop by and say hello. Not seen Salmon Pastures before, the photos above have whetted my appetite, so I'm looking forward to seeing the layout. 

If anyone is exhibiting here for the first time, remember it is a working shed and conditions are dirty, floors are uneven, and temperatures can vary considerably. Don't let this spoil what is a unique atmosphere, but be prepared! (We threw our behind the layout carpet away after last years event as it was ruined)

Anyone wishing to stop by for a chat will be most welcome.

Edit;

The layout is listed in some cases as Scarworth Junction by Mike Johnson. To be pedantic, the full name is The North of England Line - Scarworth Junction, and has been built and operated by a team of which I am just one member.

(North of England Line 2, name to be decided is currently well into the building stage)

North of England Line is attending, so I will pop by and say hello. Not seen Salmon Pastures before, the photos above have whetted my appetite, so I'm looking forward to seeing the layout. 

If anyone is exhibiting here for the first time, remember it is a working shed and conditions are dirty, floors are uneven, and temperatures can vary considerably. Don't let this spoil what is a unique atmosphere, but be prepared! (We threw our behind the layout carpet away after last years event as it was ruined)

Edit;

The layout is listed in some cases as Scarworth Junction by Mike Johnson. To be pedantic, the full name is The North of England Line - Scarworth Junction, and has been built and operated by a team of which I am just one member.

(North of England Line 2, name to be decided is currently well into the building stage)

We took Deepcar only a couple of years after it first (re)-opened. Early December, it was a bit on the cool side (can't find an eskimo smiley!)  There was a Jubilee in steam all weekend, the air was very damp. The floor was as well, so the years of accumulated gunge got everywhere!. The layout acted like a sponge in the damp, we're sure we didn't have soft scenery when we arrived!

Nonetheless a thoroughly enjoyable weekend, the layout recovered although one of our end packing boards still has the stains from the floor on it.

We're in the DPS shed this time, a much cleaner place, being relatively new, we took Carstairs there some years ago.

See you all next weekend, getting ready for Newark now.

I have specific reasons for going, including full size LNER locos, a friend's LNER layout, an item to deliver, and a burning desire to scrutinise certain pre-production LNER loco models, so I shall be there, although £13 admission is about as much as my wallet will stand without outright rebellion. £10 admission to Newark yesterday was eye-wateringly painful.

Not seen Salmon Pastures before, the photos above have whetted my appetite, so I'm looking forward to seeing the layout. 

Many thanks for that Mike J

We look forward to seeing you there,,, I will arrange some suitable packing just in case we are on an uneven floor,,, although looking at all the bumph which has arrived we appear to be in another building not the shed,,, whatever,,, it should be a "cracking" atmosphere.

I'm impressed with a behind layout carpet!!!!! very plush.

Just can't imagine what we are going to do with ourselves in the evenings,,,, hundreds of miles from home!!!! [mines a pint,,,, along with westerner and our tame computer geek] 

SAD and Salmon Pastures

My very first post on RMweb so please bear with me while I get the hang of things!

I'm posting on behalf of the Barrow Hill Live team here at the Roundhouse so if you've got any questions about this weekend's event, please post them on here and I'll do my best to answer them. 

Just reading through some of the comments already posted, the layouts are not in the Roundhouse: live steam and delicate models don't mix that well! We have a separate building dedicated to the layouts. We also have several modelling demonstrations in another area and a traders and sponsors marquee.  And of course - and what makes us a bit different to your usual model show - an awful lot of 12" to the foot layout  :) with steam hauled passenger trains, brake van rides and a comprehensive representation of locos with links to the Doncaster plant in its 160th year.  Also on site, plenty of food and drink including a real ale bar (think that will be popular with some!), children's activities, a miniature ride on train and - for those who have come by car and who want to travel over some rare track - why not take a trip in the East Midlands Trains shuttle down to Chesterfield!  Ample free parking and also a free bus service from Chesterfield Railway Station.

You can find all this information and more on our website www.barrowhill.org or by following us on Facebook (Barrow Hill Roundhouse Railway Centre) and Twitter (@barrowhill41).

Thank, Alexa

My very first post on RMweb so please bear with me while I get the hang of things!

I'm posting on behalf of the Barrow Hill Live team here at the Roundhouse so if you've got any questions about this weekend's event, please post them on here and I'll do my best to answer them. 

Just reading through some of the comments already posted, the layouts are not in the Roundhouse: live steam and delicate models don't mix that well! We have a separate building dedicated to the layouts. We also have several modelling demonstrations in another area and a traders and sponsors marquee.  And of course - and what makes us a bit different to your usual model show - an awful lot of 12" to the foot layout  :) with steam hauled passenger trains, brake van rides and a comprehensive representation of locos with links to the Doncaster plant in its 160th year.  Also on site, plenty of food and drink including a real ale bar (think that will be popular with some!), children's activities, a miniature ride on train and - for those who have come by car and who want to travel over some rare track - why not take a trip in the East Midlands Trains shuttle down to Chesterfield!  Ample free parking and also a free bus service from Chesterfield Railway Station.

You can find all this information and more on our website www.barrowhill.org or by following us on Facebook (Barrow Hill Roundhouse Railway Centre) and Twitter (@barrowhill41).

Thank, Alexa

Well I never, young lady !!!  :angel:

Oh sod it!

After a few model railway exhibitions these past few weeks, I was going to pass on Barrow Hill. But it wouldn't do my new car any harm to give it a good run in tomorrow.

:)

Archived