A New Start

C&WR

Having had a little digression into the military modelling I needed to varnish the Matilda (the transfers went on on Saturday when we realised the weather was too filthy to take TSC out for a scamper) so while this dried I returned to the low-relief factory/depot.  I was far more methodical about putting together the glazing, but had forgotten how much wrapping and gluing of windowsills & lintels there was on the original section. I had also forgotten that I needed to make the card buttresses/supports so that's the job for tonight!

I now have a bit of a dilemma about lighting the model.  As it's low-relief & there's a lot of "glass" I need to disguise that there's nothing inside.  I've seen some success on this kind of model with just sticking a picture inside (see The Tart With The Cart inside my square tower) but am not confident I could find something that looks right & has the correct angle for this building.

As I pass the real thing twice a day & mainly in the dark at the moment and TLHC has been driving I've been able to inspect how the windows on it look.  The vertical ones are an opaque brown, the sloping roof lights opaque grey.  I experimented last night with some strips of baking paper as they are the right kind of colour & translucent, but they just looked like strips of paper glued behind the glazing.

Having cracked & bought an airbrush I wondered if a heavily thinned coat of a suitable coloured paint would do the trick.  Any thoughts out there about this?  

It will almost certainly need to be enamel or acrylic as I don't think something water-based will adhere.  The only other thing I can think of is having at it with some sandpaper...

Thanks, Al, will bear in mind for the future.  Unfortunately I think this might mean ripping the whole lot of current glazing out & replacing it with the packaging & that isn't going to happen, so I need an opaque coating on the insides - gluing another material over the inside may have the shortcomings I mentioned above re the baking paper!

Hi G&WR,

The only thing I have seen which might match the effect you want is old fashioned Sand-blasting glass, which would have a similar effect on transparencies.  [Think, Imperial Marks on Pint and 1/2 Pint glass - which you may have some difficulty identifying ..  :jester: ]  Where you might find such an item small enough is almost in the realms of fantasy - but - you might find a friendly Jeweller to see if their engraving machine would do the trick.

Thinking about that, your School might have such an item, for security marking, which if used on the outside, with the window supported by a small block of wood inside[?] and tinted with some very dilute paint might just do the trick.

There is a glass frosting liquid, which I have seen for PE Changing Room windows, but I strongly suspect would simply eat Transparencies.

I use Glue 'n' Glaze already, Jaz.  Aside from the fact it is really expensive for putting a coat over a large surface it really does dry clear, so I'd just end up with a thick coat of transparent gloop.  You have, however, got me thinking.  I'm now wondering whether I could colour some of my cheap PVA with poster paint and use that.

I'm doing some weathering on the Matilda tonight, so while the enamels are out will try the airbrush method on some scrap glazing (the windows on pizza boxes as it happens) and look at what is in TSC's craft box in the way of paint!

• Like 1

superglue vapours?

Put some super glue on some plastic under the windows? and let it fog the glass?

or smear of polystyrene glue will have a similar effect.  Test on a spare piece first though.

Edited by Kal

When you say opaque brown..... Are you sure they are not mirrored windows, which have that effect at night?

If they are just brown but clear, I would suggest a glass paint, or something else translucent. If it is frosted and brown then a colour wash over the above method may help.

If it is more first then a fine spray with grime from an airbrush?

Edited by Kal

From what I can see from the road they are translucent.  It's hard to tell from this picture, but it is possible to see some details from inside, just they are obscured:

Low%2520Relief%2520Factory%2520Project.j

As you know I'm going for a feel of the thing rather than the reality, so I wouldn't mess around with trying to do mirrored glass if it was!  I think it might just be general grime as the real building is a servicing depot for large trucks and therefore there would be a lot of diesel fumes.

Superglue vapour could also be just the ticket.  I'd forgotten the havoc these caused with the windows of my Peak...

• Like 1

I have a bit of an experiment going this evening with bits of the glazing material and various types of glue.  It will be interesting to see what comes up!

I've also made a start on the first Bedford 4T.  Not going to clog the thread up with too much non-railway stuff, but here's the result of tonight's efforts:

IMG_2505.JPG

The Airfix kit is without the distinctive headlight protectors, wing mirror brackets & indicators.  In this pic I've scratched the former two which look a bit clunky, but will do.  I need to cur a couple of little disks of styrene for the indicators before getting it in for a spray - my first adventure with Maskol awaits...

• Like 3

Up to you and it is your thread after all, but i don't think any kit building is off topic.

It shows how to build, has lessons that are useful in different applications and we all need to add scenic items, so why not trucks.

I for one really liked your land rover step by step, I found it extremely useful

Edited by Kal

I agree with Kal. If it's a railway scale it's applicable.

There is quite a famous layout - its been in RM and other mags - which features WWII troop movements prior to D Day. It's packed with models and soldiers. I should be able to dig it out. Perhaps someone else might recall it.

On reflection there are at least two such layouts, one in the countryside, the other a harbour...

Tony.

The glue-on-transparency results were middling, I'm afraid.  The superglue vapours don't seem to have made any impression on the pizza box window at all, and the poly cement just sat there going clear until I gave it a wipe and then it looked like smeared poly cement.  Didn't have time to mess around getting out the airbrush.

Going back to how the real building looks it is as if there is a permanent grey haze inside, or as if the windows are a light grey colour themselves.  Standard greaseproof paper would be the right shade, but it would still look like paper glued over the windows so I'll try various paint options next.

As it's transport here's how I put the wing mirror brackets on the MK.  It's almost impossible to sit motionless for a 30 second exposure, I haven't the DTs:

IMG_2503.JPG

Here it is masked up, stuffed with tissue and covered over at the bottom to stop errant spray getting into the interior of the cab, which will be handpainted in black & green where appropriate:

IMG_2507.JPG

I also added the indicators before spraying the first coat.  Tragedy was that I went to give another coat this morning before work & my Tamiya NATO green has run out.  Now need to find a stockist!

Oh yes, it's my birthday.  Sadly, despite another hint ("you know that email I sent you about the railway thing-that's what I'd like") the set of crates and barrels didn't materialise as TLHC "didn't know I wanted it".  Ho-hum!

Happy Birthday!

Tony.

Talking about Naming Days, any chance of a nickname as an alternative to your profile initials? Bit more cumfy! ;-)

How does General Melchy sound as a nickname Darling?

Thanks, Tony.  A highly appropriate suggestion, Kal, as before I left a particular military site other users thought I must sound like a slightly more well-spoken Stephen Fry ;)

As for a name I try and keep my online and real personae and identities completely separate & only use my real name on LinkedIn and Facebook.  I just find it easier that way.

In Rugby circles I am known as Foggy.  This doesn't mean I'm cold, wet & thick, it's a transliteration of Fág an Bealach, the Irish battle cry for "Clear the Way".  I do have a username on another site which is the Irish for Railway - everyone there seems to think my name is Ian Rodney for some reason ;)

Edited by C&WR

"Foggy" sounds good to me! But if you want to feel comfortable with it you'll need to start signing off with it. It must be something that feels right. ;-)

This is the only website with a photo (it'll probably go, shortly - as the tache already has done) and my given name isn't Tony. I do understand your thinking.

Tony.

Edited by Brass0four