A New Start

C&WR

That would be a brilliant choice - and just the sort of building which many would find unattractive or otherwise uninteresting. I particularly like the partial flint, something you never see in my part of the N.E. UK It would be a real challenge for it not to look like a dogs breakfast, the sort of thing that might attract Peterkern23. Wills flint would be the temptation for those panels but it would be fascinating to see an original approach.

I have myself in a position where I'm forced to consider the time-factor if I'm to fill that space; with you being less so, it might be perfect.

Tony.

That would be a brilliant choice - and just the sort of building which many would find unattractive or otherwise uninteresting. I particularly like the partial flint, something you never see in my part of the N.E. UK It would be a real challenge for it not to look like a dogs breakfast, the sort of thing that might attract Peterkern23. Wills flint would be the temptation for those panels but it would be fascinating to see an original approach.I have myself in a position where I'm forced to consider the time-factor if I'm to fill that space; with you being less so, it might be perfect.Tony.

I live near the Black Country (anything for yow coop cayke). It's teaming with abandoned buildings like this and I spend more time looking at them than the road ahead.....

• Like 1

Thanks, chaps.  I also have my eye on this (which I drive by taking our minibuses to and from the garage) as a subject - again lots of interesting materials and shapes:

the-ivy-house-chalfont-st-giles_03032009

The Black county, yam yam?  Bostin!  I was at University in Brum and served in a local TA Unit so I've spent some very happy times in the area :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As yet no new railway pictures to put up.  I have marked out the card for the model part-demolished warehouse at Wycombe station and downloaded a couple more texture sheets I needed (yes, I know, cheating!) but thought I'd better finish off the other low-relief warehouse first.  I'm going back to visit my parents at Wallington-Super-Mare for a couple of days (I have a business meeting near their place, and they are going to look after TSC while TLHC works) so will get some shots of it then.

With the Wycombe building I only had the one reference picture taken in a bit of a rush while heading from The Bootlegger pub (beer nirvana!) to where TLHC was waiting to pick me up in the station forecourt.  I wasn't completely sure what the far end looked like so went to Google Earth.  In one version the picture taken from Amersham Hill showing the building from the end is obviously at a different date to that taken side on from a road overlooking the railway station across the tracks.  

The former shows much more building which has since been demolished!  It seems that from this one vantage point there are actually two sets of pictures but I have tracked down the current view.

Rather a good Rugby weekend too - Irish beat Wasps even though we were down to 14 players for a sizeable chunk of the match and TSC had his first proper fixture since Christmas after flooding caused cancellations of all other training and matches.  Glad to say my U8s hadn't forgotten how to play!  

Also glad to say that as well as sorting out the warehouse I had a delivery from Squires Tools so was able to get on with this:

IMG_2543.JPG

Rather annoyed that one of the clips holding the tread plate on the cab roof popped off when I set this pic up:

IMG_2544.JPG

I'm pleased with the addition of the fire extinguisher & tread plate inside the cab, and I also added a hand brake & gear lever made as before from pins:

IMG_2545.JPG

• Like 4

Thanks, Jaz.  At least with a Bedford the windscreen is pretty big - the LR (even if I hadn't put the mud splashes on) just doesn't have the same acreage of glass and of course the view in from the front to the back is obscured by the frame securing the radios & the backs of the radios aren't that interesting anyway.

Delighted to say my foray home has allowed some real progress on Wallington-Super-Mare.  The engine shed is now planted (this required building up a little plinth as the height of the ballast meant locomotives fouled on the top of the door); filling in the corner by the beach; and some little bits of scenics here and there.  I also had a rather nice BR Blue running day with an HST, Class 117, Class 08 and an anachronistic sandy Western to pull TSC's car transporter.

There are even photos.  Sadly I forgot my connecting cable, so it will be tomorrow at the very earliest they can go on display!

• Like 3

As promised some pics of the recent works.  Great to get a possession during the week!

First of all the signalman's garden seems to have burst into bloom.  Like the station flowers these are trimmings from a Noch tree (cut in half to go in the playground behind) sprinkled with dyed sawdust:

IMG_2553.JPG

You might have noticed the engine shed in the background, I finally pulled my finger out and soldered some droppers on for the lighting so I could glue it down:

IMG_2555.JPG

As I said I had to build up a little plinth which I painted a concrete-y colour before building up the cinders to hide the edges.  I tried for the first time the water/PVA/meths mix (most refreshing ;) ) to hold down the cinders.  I wasn't convinced it had worked when I went to bed about six hours later, but by this afternoon it was set like concrete:

IMG_2556.JPG

I also got some pics of the low-relief warehouse/factory in its (nearly) completed state:

IMG_2547.JPG

I'm now almost tempted to plant it here, although I will need to make a central bay so there aren't two pillars together.  The only thing is that it will rahter change my plan for this bit of the layout to be a bit more bucolic:

IMG_2548.JPG

Finally the work on the corner by the seaside:

IMG_2549.JPG

Pot scourers, spraymount & flock for the bushes.  I went a bit wild with the red sawdust on the bush to the left.  The last of the Noch trimmings went round the base of the tower & walls:

IMG_2550-1.JPG

The pillar box was a present from TSC last Christmas (carried all the way to NZ and back!) and the war memorial picked up at Pecorama in the summer.  I thought this quite a good way to use this space in the end:

IMG_2551.JPG

I am as yet divided about fencing.  I have a lot of the station-style fence left over but was so pleased with the Scalelink spear-top stuff I am tempted to order a bit more of that.  Pity I didn't when I ordered some fine mesh for another project, but I thought I had more fence left...

• Like 5

Looks super foggy darling ;)

It's bona, duckie ;)

Love it! That mown grass is a great idea. I did think about laying down a grass mat and using my beard trimmer to cut in the lines. I think I might be obsessed.

That factory is looking great in situ!

Pete

I took the easy way out.  First the base is painted using a Dulux tester pot, in this case bitter chocolate.  I then paint a series of lines in PVA, and sprinkle the area in Woodland Scenics burnt grass fine turf.  When this is dry I vacuum it up with a little hand-held hoover (trying to remember to empty out the cylinder first so I can reuse the loose scatter) then paint in the uncovered bits and put on some green grass fine turf, again hoovering up the loose stuff when dry.  

The low relief does look good, as you say a bit of aside step to add it, but nice to see it. I like the idea of the coloured sawdust as well.

Thanks, Jaz.  It may yet go on whatever I build at my new home!  The sawdust is, I thought, a nice retro touch especially as I use Dad's old draughtsman's watercolours which saw service at his drawing board in the Western Region New Works office until they went over to CAD!

Looks great, the warehouse really does look the biz!! I also like the walls/tower, what paper did you use for them?

Thanks very much!  The walls (and promenade) use the Scalescenes retaining walls in random ashlar.  I adapted the tower by covering a Pringles tube in the texture paper then carefully shaping a bit of the plinth from the kit round it at the bottom and adapting the relevant parts of the top of the kit to fit.  

The square tower at the other end was a very simple scratchbuild & I used quoins from a Scalescenes product (possibly the flint texture, I really can't remember) to hide the edges.  Both are topped in flagstones from the platform kit.  This is one of the reasons I'm such a devotee of Scalescenes, while one can spot the buildings straight away (and some can spot the texture papers) they are really easy to kit bash and adapt.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, never though of building town walls before until I saw this thread !! 

No probs!  I think the germ of the idea came about from wanting a scenic break along a long, flat wall in what was supposed to be an urban area.  Because of space (I shifted the whole layout a few inches towards where the wall is now and slimmed down the island platform, perhaps too much) to give more modelling room on the far side (which is where they viewer sees the railway from rather than the operator) the options to have another bit of station or a car park on the wall side were limited.  

With the greatest respect to those who do so a town backscene wasn't my bag.  I think I may have had some kind of vision Edinburgh Waverley (I've only been there once) or the superb model of that station on here for tracks in a city with a big wall along one side.  Perhaps more realistically I had a vision of how I remembered Edinburgh Waverley.

Another original idea had been to push the wall out far enough to have something running along the top, or at least a walkway, but the way my Father relaid the track (as I said earlier I botched it & he was itching to have a go at building what he had wanted to in the late '70s but we didn't have the cash) precluded this plan.  I did at one point consider extending the footbridge so it appeared that there was an entrance to the station from inside the wall, but binned that in the end.

I was certainly inspired by Windsor & Eton Central, although this is a reversal as here the railway sits on top of a splendid old viaduct rather than below...

• Like 2

Cheers, Julian, all seems back together on the home laptop.

What a day, though!  We had a deflating tyre in the car yesterday.  I got it pumped up with the little compressor so we could get back from Rugby last night, but the thing was properly flat this morning.  Then when getting the compressor out I trod on the cigarette lighter plug & broke it.  I got the thing back together so it would fit in the socket and found the fuse for the lighter, clock & radio had gone.

Neighbour with a compressor had gone out, so had to change the wheel.  This took forever as ATS, when replacing all four tyres on 23rd December gone, had put the nuts back on with one of those gun things.

Luckily TLHC had the day off, so could take the car for checking & to get a new tyre.  It turns out that the front suspension arms were broken, which is why the tyres were wearing (the off side front one in question was down to the cords inside three months.  Cost of repairs & new tyre £300, so railway shed delayed yet further.

Got home this evening & put TSC in bath as he'd been playing sport at School.  Five minutes later there was a dripping sound from the sitting room & it turns out he'd splashed badly in the bath & the water was pouring through the ceiling onto the sofa.

I then managed to absent-mindedly rub my eye after preparing some chilis...

Sorry to hear about the B** day  ...  I guess the old "If you can't take a joke - you shouldn't have joined" - seems to apply. 

I can send a link to my blogs about working in Bosnia & Central America...

..........................   that sounds interesting  .............  not the best places for having a Bad Hair Day, 'though  ....   :hunter:

.........................   and   .......................    one hell of a Commute too   .......   :scenic:

Things going a lot better now.  We had a trip to see Emil & the Detectives at The National Theatre last night - not sure if the present was really for me or TSC!  It's an excellent production and the way they handle scenes on trains and the tram is very good indeed, along with an overall feel of Weimar Berlin and a set that looks like Fritz Lang's Metropolis.  

No proper railway modelling pictures to catch up on.  I did, however, get some wing mirrors on the Bedford:

IMG_2557.JPG

Funny, I can post & see Picasa pics through IE but not Chrome...

• Like 4

Gah!  I decided to tidy the model area last night by finishing off a couple of bits and pieces to take them back to Wallington on my next visit.  I also found some items that I hadn't built & needed like a phone box for by the Prom.

Slight disaster.  I have been carrying the Dapol water tower completed around, less top and feed pipes around for a while and it has been unscathed with the remaining bits safe in a bag, for a while.  I put it away safely while we had TLHC's birthday party at the weekend & one of the legs had broken off & the feed pipes got lost.

I then found the Bedford exhaust pipe, which had been holding this kit up as I had had to repaint it, had also disappeared.  Jolly livid as I'm sure I had stuck it with a bit of Blue-Tack inside the box...

I am however pleased to have found Ratio spear-top fencing.  I was going to order more of the Scalelink stuff, but that is vastly more expensive and much more delicate and I was worried about using it on a corner which is prone to derailments.  I will need to check my end-throws carefully, though!

Modelling mojo slightly restored when TLHC went out to her knitting group, the delightfully named "Stitch and B!tch".  This, ironically, is held in a wonderful pub with the widest range of beers I've ever seen.  TLHC doesn't drink beer!

I've posted the results of painting the hand-scribed wall on the Beickwork Pendon Style thread.  THis was not a huge success, but there are learning points there.

I did, however, extract the digit and get on with the High Wycombe frmer goods shed scratchbuild.  I had been carrying around the reference pictures and my planning drawing for a while.  At the front is a Scalescenes-style cover layer for the wall base:

IMG_2569.JPG

It was then a bit of fun to layer this up, flint at one end, aged red brick in the middle and stucco at the other before adding concrete lintels.  I then put on the support pillars, covered in concrete at one end and brick at the other.  The bottom edges of the pillars round the left-hand door are covered in blue brick, and the courses over the flint are cut from aged red brick too.  

For the first time since the bridge over my culvert I've actually tried cutting courses in the brickwork where one type meets another.  It's not as neat as Chubber's (should have got the helping hands lens out!) but while it can't be seen really well here it's OK from a distance:

IMG_2570.JPG

Erse, just realised I have a pillar missing to the left of the right-hand door!  I also cheated a bit by not doing the projections at the top side of the left-hand door.  Not worth the effort.

Finally for those interested in Army trucks:

IMG_2572.JPG

Needs a bit of touching in, but I'm also happier again now this has the wheels on!

IMG_2573.JPG

• Like 4