A New Start

C&WR

Foggy.....excellent....like from Last of the Summer Wine..... :jester:  Gets my vote.

Any way sir....won't want you to think HM would forget your birthday 

.....happy-birthday-2.jpg

and hopefully many more......I will have a small toast to you tonight......pint of Bailys anyone????? :jester:

Thanks, all, it's been a good day.  I might have had to get up extra early, but that was to eat a special breakfast dreamed up by TLHC.  I may have had a very devil of a day at work, but that gives me (a) Brownie points & (b ) something to tick & whinge about.  As Kal & Julian & other former members of the forces will know the time one knows a British Servicemen is unhappy is when he stops complaining ;)

Knew Jaz would come up with a good picture, hope the pint of Baileys slipped down well.  I'd join you, but I have a really, really important pair of returns to knock on the head.

I even managed a touch of modelling when getting back from a birthday pizza & bottle of prosecco:

IMG_2508.JPG

IMG_2509.JPG

Finally got the rust wash on.  Now for the black one!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 6

Thanks, all, it's been a good day.  I might have had to get up extra early, but that was to eat a special breakfast dreamed up by TLHC.  I may have had a very devil of a day at work, but that gives me (a) Brownie points & ( B) something to tick & whinge about.  As Kal & Julian & other former members of the forces will know the time one knows a British Servicemen is unhappy is when he stops complaining ;)

Knew Jaz would come up with a good picture, hope the pint of Baileys slipped down well.  I'd join you, but I have a really, really important pair of returns to knock on the head.

I even managed a touch of modelling when getting back from a birthday pizza & bottle of prosecco:

Finally got the rust wash on.  Now for the black one!

Totally agree having been there myself.

First chance I've had to look in. After work went out for a birthday meal myself thanks to some very good friends :sungum:  :sungum: :sungum:  

Duncan

Many happy returns, Duncan!  I'm celebrating again this weekend coming, this time with my parents.  I have the Irish/Scarlets match to go to, a decent Chinese meal, and the beginning of the 6Ns to look forward to...

I unmasked the Bedford cab last night as I gather the Maskol shouldn't be left on for more than a couple of days & I'm having a bit of a job finding a new can of Tamiya NATO green as it can't go through the post.  It looks OK, especially when the bottom half of the cab (solid material and also painted) is in place but the paint seems a little thin around the windows.  If I get time tonight (I need to pack for the weekend) I may do the interior which will then take out some of the translucence, I hope...

Edited by C&WR

Those photos look much nicer  :sungum: You need a little test scenery to plonk it on, 30cmx30cm, and some green fluffy stuff, perhaps a soldier or two, just your basic diorama :sungum:

Thanks, Jaz.  I knew I'd tone it down a bit.

As this is supposed to be a desert scheme the sandpaper is supposed to be the scenery ;)  

In seriousness I have seen elsewhere some lovely little plinths & photo planks, used much as I do the seaside or bridge and culvert on Wallington to give a background. One used the top of a butter tub with a bit of polystyrene to give a vertical plane, then covered in (clean) cat litter & sand sprayed in appropriate colours.  It looked really good!

• Like 1

Many happy returns, Duncan!  I'm celebrating again this weekend coming, this time with my parents.  I have the Irish/Scarlets match to go to, a decent Chinese meal, and the beginning of the 6Ns to look forward to...

I unmasked the Bedford cab last night as I gather the Maskol shouldn't be left on for more than a couple of days & I'm having a bit of a job finding a new can of Tamiya NATO green as it can't go through the post.  It looks OK, especially when the bottom half of the cab (solid material and also painted) is in place but the paint seems a little thin around the windows.  If I get time tonight (I need to pack for the weekend) I may do the interior which will then take out some of the translucence, I hope...

Thanks

Slightly different to you. Make sure I keep up with London Welsh :sungum:  and then the first game of the 6 nations :sungum:  possibly followed by a meal somewhere. (Not overly concerned about the second one) :crazy:

Duncan

I'm disappointed to be missing the England match, Duncan, but it's Club before Country for me, at least when Rugby is concerned.  I'm dual nationality British/Irish, so I will see my other nation the next day.

Great story from London Irish.  I have a mate who is a real Norn Iron fella, who has difficulty dragging a great mate of his, a former Royal Maureen, along as the mate "can't stand all these Paddies".  One match my mate turned to his, pointed me out & said words to the effect of, "see himself down there, with the hardcore supporters?"  "Yes, what a *$%@."  "I mean the one in the Irish jersey, with the pint of Guinness, singing 'The 'fields of Athenry' and waving the Tricolour, can you see him?" "I can, the big @{}*()=".  "Yer man is an ex-Major, served eighteen years in the Life Guards..."  OK, he got my rank & Regiment wrong, but the Maureen shut up about Paddies for a bit!

Onyway, I digress.  Here's the Bedford cab:

IMG_2510.JPG

Delighted to say Squires Tools can ship Tamiya sprays for a very reasonable courier fee so I've ordered a little pack of goodies from them.  I've also ordered some Scalelink 0.5mm mesh to do the cages in the RR truck.

• Like 2

Great story. Due to family connections, I have to follow Wales (I could do far worse)

The MK is coming along nicely. If you're not careful you'll need to model a fitter section as well :jester:  :jester:

Duncan

Ooooh, a little FV 4341 or a Cent ARV3. As Orderly Officer3 I used to choose to count the ammunition for our LAD's4 Cent as there was a single box of .30 Cal5 for the Browning6 in the bunker7.

The Skins8 actually managed to pinch a Challenger9 ARRV10 at the end of Op GRANBY11 by painting "5 INNIS DG12, BFPO 1613" on the side of it.  It was sent to us14 and rapidly painted in temperate colours15 until some spoilsport took it away & returned it to its rightful owners16...

Edit to add translation for non-military readers:

1.  Fighting Vehicle 434.  This was one of the 43X series that was adapted for use by the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, principally by sticking a crane on it.  Each Sabre Squadron of 14 Tanks had as part of it a Fitters Troop who did immediate repairs and they had these.  The best analogy I can think of for a Fitters Troop is that they were like AA Roadside assistance, getting us running when smaller things that the crew couldn't handle went wrong.  THe FV 434 looked like this:

fv_434_recovery_09_of_19.jpg

The penthouse tent thing on top was supposed to hold a spare engine for a tank, but we never had any.  Therefore the fitters would make bunks in here, and because they were very imaginative, resourceful and technically able they would often be fitted out with heaters, TVs & VCRs (this was the late '80s/early '90s) toasters & all sorts.  A Fitters Troop would be ruled over by a Staff Sergeant, known as Tiffy, and were very important people to supply with Orange Handbags17.

2.  Centurion Armoured Recovery Vehicle.  The Centurion was a Main Battle Tank introduced in the '50s, superseded by Chieftain in the '60s.  After a memorable night out with the Junior Officers one of our Commissioned from the Ranks Officers managed to break into the one which was a gate guardian outside Camp and the Regimental Police (our own soldiers who dealt with discipline before the nuclear option of calling the Royal Military Police) were called to stop this motley crew practising old-school tank warfare under the older Officer's instruction - when he joined up he had been on Centurion, or as we joked had been a Centurion!

centurion.jpg

The Armoured Recovery Vehicle was again one for the REME and used for pulling things out of places they were stuck.  Kept a bit further back than the Fitters, but still needed to be armoured as in a war it would be shot at.  It looked like this:

fv4006d.JPG

3.  Junior Officer who represents the Commanding Officer and goes round inspecting or counting things.  Often given as a punishment ("extras") for minor transgressions as the Orderly Officer is supposed not to leave Camp.  The Orderly Sergeant and Orderly Corporal keep him in line and try to stop him asking bone questions like "food comfy, boots tasty?"

4.  Light Aid Detachment.  Commanded by a Captain, a Subunit of REME attached to other Regiments.  In the unlikely event the fitters couldn't get a wagon going these chaps would appear, recover the vehicle and get it going again.  A bit like taking the car to the garage when AA Roadside couldn't get it moving.

5. 0.30" calibre machine gun ammunition.  In canvas belts & there wasn't mush of it around, hence the Regiment only holding one box rather than pallets of other types.

6.  Browning machine gun, like the little brother of the .50 Cal

IMG_5101.jpg

7.  Where the ammunition was kept.  Not always an actual bunker - in my first Regiment it was in the cellars of a barrack block.

8.  The Fifth Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards.  A British Cavalry Regiment, equipped with Chieftain tanks when I was there.

9.  Main Battle Tank which replaced Chieftain.

10.  Armoured Repair and Recovery Vehicle.  The Challenger version (CRARRV) looks like this:

002285.jpg

11.  The war to liberate Kuwait, 1991.  The Skins were due to be in the second wave, but the war ended too soon.  Some Skins served as Battle Casualty Replacements, to fill slots in other Regiments, and our Band went en masse in their role as medics/stretcher bearers.  A Squadron's worth of us went out afterwards to tidy up.

12.  The official abbreviation for The Skins.

13.  British Forces Post Office address for Sennelager in West Germany.  Paderborn, where we were based, was in this BFPO area.

14.  At the end of Op GRANBY the fighting troops flew almost straight home leaving most of the kit behind.  Others went to repatriate it, and for large items this was achieved by painting the prent unit's Regimental abbreviation and BFPO number on the side, the kit was then tansported to these addresses.  Those moving the CRARRV weren't to know the Skins LAD had never been issued one in the first place...

15.  Black and green.  The CRARRV we nicked was in sand, and the best way to avoid anyone knowing it was hooky was to camouflage it to look like our other vehicles.

16.  The Queen's Royal Irish Hussars, if I recall correctly.

17.  A cardboard case of Heforder Pils beer.  Currency in the British Army Of the Rhine & used as bribes or rewards:

Herfoorderpils.jpg

Hope this helps!

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 1

It would have to be a Cent ARV. But you would also have to have an UBRE and a Stalwart to complete the picture. :sungum: :sungum:

Duncan

I don't remember a Stolly about the place, and am hazy on the refuellers! There are some nice little kits of them about, though.

Stalwart was a 6x6 ampibious truck:

StalFQ.jpg

Unit Bulk Refuelling Equipment was our mobile filling station:

TM4x4Tanker.JPG

BTW, post #341 above edited to translate for Tony & other non-Army types...

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 3

You've been responsible for throwing me right off topic!

I've a high, over the wardrobe, toy cupboard full of stuff I've put aside. I was sure I had some new, unbuilt  Airfix. I found a Tiger, Panther, Churchill, and 75mm Assault Gun. Particularly interesting, an Academy WWII Ground Vehicle set: Light Utility Vehicle, Kubelwagen and my favourite - Kettencrad. :-)

And loads of Sci Fi stuff.

Tony.

• Like 1

Not a good evening.  Pony truck on the Hornby Tornado so light & so loose it skips like a lamb in spring across any track imperfections, causing derailments sometimes of the whole train.  Bufferbeam on 45143 then caught on something as i was moving it & fell off.

Turned to music for solace & decided to load a birthday CD onto iTunes.  The Aged Ps have plainly done something odd with their computer as when clicking on iTunes I got this:

iTunes%2520error%2520message.jpg

I can install stuff, so I downloaded iTunes again but after a lot of waiting got this:

Apple%2520Mobile.jpg

Clicking retry meant a lot more waiting, as did clicking ignore.  Clicking abort brought up the message "do you want to cancel" then this:

Rolling%2520back.jpg

Clicking the iTunes icon takes us back to the start again.  Any tips gladly received!

Edited by C&WR

Well, holding down Alt and pressing Print Screen takes an image of the active window only, I can hardly read those screenshots... :)

Did you un-install the program first? Even if you did, they sometimes don't un-install every component, .dll, registry setting, etc. There are programs that do a "deep clean" removal for you, I've used Revo uninstaller before but I'm sure there are others. 

I should point out I am no expert on such matters, other than the frustration of similar events!

Thanks for the tip! It's my Aged Ps machine, so I have no idea what they did to it, although The Pt Way Dept tells me he had a failed software update recently. I've tried the known fixes to no avail & have better things to do so they're calling in their IT guru.

In happier news Tornado has run like a dream this morning & looks majestic with a rake of maroon Mk1s behind her. I still think the tender and pony truck need weight, though.

I also got the bufferbeam back on 45143. First attempt last night was set a bit low, so the jumper cables fouled on a point slightly, but all fixed now.anyone who says the old Mainline Peaks can't pull the skin (or Skins) off a rice pudding hasn't seen mine belting round Wallington with my parcels train in tow ;)

• Like 2

We're off to Rugby leaving TSC behind as his social calendar didn't fit with ours.  He is having some other little boys round, so it's out with all the more robust old Hornby & Lima stuff for them to entertain themselves :)

• Like 2

Hi G&WR,

I still think the tender and pony truck need weight, though.

Does the Pony have a bit of Brass Spring between it and the Loco Body? The Castles have one which they advise, can be bent down slightly for more pressure on the Pony [they also advise not bending it too far, so it takes the weight off the Driving Wheels.] If not, might the attachment arm have a slight S shape applied for the same purpose.

• Like 1