Bachmann to produce ex LBSC Atlantic H2 Class 4-4-2

Graham_Muz

• RMweb Gold

It could just be me but when comparing that EP to photos it looks to be as built to me. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

photo as built in LBSC livery: http://www.semgonline.com/steam/pics/ds_40.jpg

photo after rebuild in BR days: http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/locos/atlantic/beachy_head_24feb57q.jpg

Gary

The one phot'd by 'Clearwater' definitely looks to be in original condition - I wonder if it's a commission for someone?

Guest spet0114

The one phot'd by 'Clearwater' definitely looks to be in original condition - I wonder if it's a commission for someone?

Have a look at the running plates. The Bachmann model doesn't go 'up and over' the cylinders in the manner shown in the photo of no 40.

Have a look at the running plates. The Bachmann model doesn't go 'up and over' the cylinders in the manner shown in the photo of no 40.

No 40 was one of the first H1 batch of Brighton Atlantics, hence the different shape of the running plate over the cylinders. The photo of the model in the cabinet definitely has the original shaped cab and dome which all the Atlantics had, not the later SR cut down shapes to enable them to run on lines other than ex-LBSC ones.

I wasn't aware that Bachmann were going to produce the as-built H2. Maybe that's what the Bluebell Rly replica will look like, and it is being reproduced in model form?

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't aware that Bachmann were going to produce the as-built H2. Maybe that's what the Bluebell Rly replica will look like, and it is being reproduced in model form?

All previous indication was that Bachmann would not be producing an as built model, the 3d print that they took to the bluebell as seen in this post was post-rebuild. As far as I'm aware the Bluebell plan on building it as rebuilt and the rebuilt picture I linked to is actually the picture that the Bluebell are using to promote the new build.

My previous correspondence with Bachmann which can be seen earlier in thread said that they had no plans at that time for an as build loco but the also listed what they needed to change to do it so in my eyes had considered it to some degree. I may however need to change my pre-order once I have more info.

Gary

• RMweb Gold

It could just be me but when comparing that EP to photos it looks to be as built to me. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

photo as built in LBSC livery: http://www.semgonline.com/steam/pics/ds_421.jpg

photo after rebuild in BR days: http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/locos/atlantic/beachy_head_24feb57q.jpg

Gary

EDIT: Had linked to the wrong picture so have updated the first link

Realised I had linked to the wrong picture so I have updated the first link in this post

Guest Midland Mole

I hope the Bluebell 's won't be in ugly BR black... I know the bits and pieces they've got at the moment are, but I think it'll look much nicer in olive.

Not on topic but related, I was very happy to see on the LMS Patriot Project stand that they are going to be painting her in LMS Crimson. I was really worried she was going to end up in ghastly BR livery....ugh...

On topic, looking forward to the H2. Cant wait to see a decorated sample in the future. :)

- Alex

Edited by Midland Mole

I spoke to the guy in the Bachmann members lounge who was responsible for sorting out liveries. He was not forthcoming about an LB&SCR livery for the H2. The three H2 E.P. samples all had subtle differences. The middle one had BR smoke box door number plate, the top / back one did not. The interesting one was the lower / front one, which had the early cab roof (almost pagoda-esque) the four forward facing cab windows (as opposed to two on the other models) and brakes on the front bogie. The tender toolboxes also seemed smaller. The guy from Bachmann did however stress that as they were E.P.s, parts were interchangeable and may not representative of specific versions. 

He did say that the Southern liveried version would match the livery period of the birdcages (also on display) and the soon to be re-liveried E4. Good to see some co-ordination here.

Got to say that all 3 H2s looked superb, as did the birdcages. Next year could get very expensive for devotees of the Southern :locomotive:

• Like 2

Are those wheels going to be used on the actual model? The flanges look excessive almost toylike. Would they run on PECO's new bullhead rail? Bachmann does know how to do an RP25 profile.

• RMweb Premium

I hope the Bluebell 's won't be in ugly BR black... I know the bits and pieces they've got at the moment are, but I think it'll look much nicer in olive.

I'm afraid it will debut in BR lined black - a decision taken by the group building it I hasten to add, many of whom actually remember the original "Beachy Head" in that livery. At some point I believe that the group have said they may consider a change - but given the Q is still running around in BR black (despite suggestions that its current BR guise was only temporary) I wouldn't hold your breath. While I respect their wishes and note that this aligns with the biggest era in terms of model sales, its a shame, particularly as the Bluebell does have genuine Southern Railway stock for it to haul - not just Mk1s.

There is of course the point that re-painting engines when the existing paintwork is in good condition is a waste of resources and as such tends to only be countenanced if an external 3rd party is willing to fund it.

Edited by phil-b259

I think they looked superb in BR lined black.

These photos from Andy look to me like one destined to be in post war malachite - they had those snifter valves [?] on the smokebox for a short period - disappearing again when painted black.

Wonder if the curly wurly connecting rod can't be bent straight[ish] and I am a bit suspicious of the extra long slide bars and I assume its these and the back of the steps which means this rod has to be kinked. I think I'd rather compromise the steps with a bit of sanding down. 

No mucking about!: its obvious there will be an LB&SCR liveried one given the earlier cab - although in very early Southern days they were of course Olive green with original cab before being cut down to the composite loading gauge.

An few excellent images cropped up on ebay over the last years of these locos from Trotskee who sells transport images. This caught my eye: With the inter-regional trains to and from the Sussex Coast you can hang lots of things behind them - four GW and six LMS carriages in this train. And you rarely see them making this much fuss over a train. Nice shiny 2HAL heading down to Brighton.  

Link to ebay below the image.

s-l1600.jpg

EBAY link

• Like 5

This was in the Bachmann cabinet todayattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

photo as built in LBSC livery: http://www.semgonline.com/steam/pics/ds_421.jpg

Gary

EDIT: Had linked to the wrong picture so have updated the first link

Correct me, please, if I am wrong, but, whereas the pictures posted by Andy Y yesterday (post #313) were of a Southern era, post 1935-7 composite gauge example, the picture posted by Clearwater and commented upon by Gary shows the pre-1929 condition and should be good for both Pre-Grouping and early Grouping.

If so, this offers a very exciting prospect, as there would be no reason why Bachmann could not produce an umber version or its, Southern version repainted.

Bachmann are to be commended, and, if they produce this tooling as a model, they will get at least one sale out of me.

• RMweb Gold

Yes James, the one posted by Clearwater is in pre-1929 condition, I have already sent the image off to my contact at Bachmann to ask what the plan is regarding earlier models following his previous comments. Bachmann can be surprisingly open about these things once stuff like this is in the public eye so hopefully I will get a response soonish. I will post here when I do.

Gary

I think you can see in the picture I quickly snapped on my phone and through the glass, hence not *quite* to the quality of Andy's, there are other 4-4-2s in the cabinet.

I'd have lingered longer and paid more attention to the different samples but I was understandably distracted by the krug 59, caviar and dancing girls exclusively provided to Collectors Club members

David

Edited by Clearwater

Pre 1929 is OK, but how 'pre' is it. If it's 7 years pre then an LB&SCR livery is on the cards.

Andy Y any chance you could post pics of the one with the early cab and bogie brakes ? I'd love to get an experts opinion. 

Possibly this might help.

There were few visual differences before the H2s were super-heated and rebuilt to the composite loading gauge standards in the mid to late 1930s.

One visible change that was made before this was the fitting of inset steps (April-June 1929) to cope with Eastern section loading gauge.  If you compare the 2 pictures below (re-posted from Clearwater and Andy Y) you will see the earlier condition version has not been fitted with the inset steps seen on the composite gauge one, so, this suggests pre-1929 to me.  I have attempted to annotate Andy's picture with the various changes made 1929-1938, none of which appear to be present on Clearwater's example.

The Southern example, posted by Andy Y, I take to be pre-Nationalisation, as Bullied removed the twin snifter valves post war.

Pre-1929, I would suggest it is largely a question of livery changes and when the brass name plates were added.  This table (derived from the information in the RCTS volume) should help:

Number       Date painted Maunsell Green        Date named 

421             September 1924                            February 1926, South Foreland

422             May 1924                                       June 1925, North Foreland

423             April 1927                                       April 1927, The Needles

424             September 1924                            June 1926, Beachy Head 

425            August 1926                                   August 1926, Trevose Head

426            June 1925                                      June 1925,  St Alban's Head

post-25673-0-81808400-1480409426_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-83457700-1480409468_thumb.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
  • Like 2

As has been said about the plummeting pound (political switch is off) and the likely high price, I'm glad that l've got my brass kit version.

The firebox needs reshaping at the front and the cab will have to be altered to the  Maunsell type.

attachicon.gif003.JPG

attachicon.gifH2 Atlantic Bachmann.jpg

Seems a shame to alter your kit.  Could you not sell it and buy Bachhy's Maunsell version?

• RMweb Gold

Seems a shame to alter your kit.  Could you not sell it and buy Bachhy's Maunsell version?

My trouble is that I do have a liking for brass and nickel silver engines! This one will have a new chassis using Gibson's milled mainframes and P4 wheels which l believe are slightly under scale due to the closeness of the driving wheels on the real thing.

l plan to buy a Bach one but will wait to see if it is P4able before l part with cash!

My trouble is that I do have a liking for brass and nickel silver engines! This one will have a new chassis using Gibson's milled mainframes and P4 wheels which l believe are slightly under scale due to the closeness of the driving wheels on the real thing.

l plan to buy a Bach one but will wait to see if it is P4able before l part with cash!

Meanwhile, I expect, you will be off to review the Minchinhampton Eagle Battalion?