acg5324

• RMweb Premium

A day at the NGS Yorkshire meeting, didn’t get as much done as I wanted as I’d left one important thing behind and brought the wrong sized microstrip with me. Latest little project is to build a couple of Italian ferry vans using the NGS BR ferry van chassis……forgot to bring the chassis so I marked up the sides leaving plenty of trimming room at the ends. Doors and top runner added was all I could do.

The two MCW Metrobuses conversions had some more progress, including front windscreen cut to fit.

IMG_4164.jpeg

IMG_4165.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Bus progress

Some cream cleaner and cotton buds took off the four part doors printed on the glazing.
The first of the Metrobus bodies has now been primered, dry overnight for the red coat tomorrow.

IMG_4166.jpeg

IMG_4167.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

The chassis for the ferry van was detached from its body and I thought, that’s useful…..the roof is screwed on and I can use that for the Italian one. So I undid the screws to find the roof is also glued on. Why both?

I need to get the correct sized microstrip from work, so there won’t be any progress on the these for a few days.

IMG_4169.jpeg

IMG_4168.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

An email tonight from Chris Nevard with some of the photos taken a week ago. For obvious reasons I can’t show any, but they are stunning, especially the B&W ones.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The Metrobus painting is largely done. The grill and destination boards were all masked up and sprayed black. The window frame edges have also been blackened. Adverts, destination blinds and LT symbols to add, prior to a coat of satin varnish Window vents to do in silver before reassembly. Last job will be two part doors.

IMG_4173.jpeg

• Like 12

I have to go to Kensington Olympia on Thursday for work so will be interested to get a sense of the area vs the layout, I haven't been for years! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

The poorly class 37 had its chip refitted, which is now a very loose fit in its socket. To get round this I bent the pins a bit which improved things. However after a test run the dreaded clicking appeared. On checking the bogies one of the wheel sets has a split gear.

Farish now have two different sets of geared wheels available for the Tractor,  black or later white. Does anyone know if it’s just a material change and not a change in the number of teeth?

I’ve also posted this on the Farish forum.

Edited by acg5324
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

As I can’t find my pack of LT roundal decals for the bus, I’ve ordered some more, so they’ll turn up when the replacements arrive. Today the windows and doors were masked up and sprayed silver for the vents and undercoat, then yellow and red for the doors.

Side adverts added, I need to paint the seating too.

IMG_4174.jpeg

IMG_4175.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Managed to find a correct wheel set and gear for the class 37 in one of the spares boxes at work. This has been fitted and the loco reassembled. Testing tomorrow.

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Mmm the class 37 is still an issue. The decoder is very loose in the socket and not making proper contact. Not sure how I can correct this. Might have to unsolder the old one, which was fine, and swop them over. I could add some solder to the decoder pins to thicken them up……suggestions welcome.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

A productive day at the Yorkshire area NGS meeting today. The first of the ferry vans is coming together, main body fitted onto the NGS Ferry van chassis.

IMG_4178.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2024 at 18:16, acg5324 said:

Mmm the class 37 is still an issue. The decoder is very loose in the socket and not making proper contact. Not sure how I can correct this. Might have to unsolder the old one, which was fine, and swop them over. I could add some solder to the decoder pins to thicken them up……suggestions welcome.

The saga…..has finished. Martin at work fixed the socket by tightening up the apertures with a pin. Chip refitted but got hot and the loco barely moved. Fresh chip fitted and all is fine.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

A bit of work done on the T-Trak boards this week. I’ve made a start on fitting the Armco barriers on the bridge. These are very fiddly to put together. They are laser cut card made by Scale Model Scenery. Each upright is three very small pieces! In addition I’ve made the signage for the overhead gantry( yet to be built ).

Work for the next couple of days then it’s another Yorkshire area NGS meeting on Saturday.

IMG_4186.jpeg

IMG_4187.jpeg

Edited by acg5324
  • Like 16
  • Round of applause 1

2 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

A bit of work done on the T-Trax boards this week. I’ve made a start on fitting the Armco barriers on the bridge. These are very fiddly to put together. They are laser cut card made by Scale Model Scenery. Each upright is three very small pieces! In addition I’ve made the signage for the overhead gantry( yet to be built ).

Work for the next couple of days then it’s another Yorkshire area NGS meeting on Saturday.

IMG_4186.jpeg

IMG_4187.jpeg

I hope that's a local sign for local people.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, froobyone said:

I hope that's a local sign for local people.

There’s nothing for you here. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, acg5324 said:

A bit of work done on the T-Trak boards this week. I’ve made a start on fitting the Armco barriers on the bridge. These are very fiddly to put together. They are laser cut card made by Scale Model Scenery. Each upright is three very small pieces! In addition I’ve made the signage for the overhead gantry( yet to be built ).

You should try their palisade fencing. Each pole is thickened by an additional piece of wood on either side.

I was also a bit concerned about their picnic tables but they went together surprisingly well as did their wooden gates.

But there are times when I wished I modelled in a larger scale. Having to construct steps by inserting treads one by one for one of my station bridges was a nightmare I shall long try to forget. The Ratio model 'cheeped out' and the steps were a single piece. I was so, so grateful for that :)

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A reasonably productive day in Heworth at the Yorkshire area NGS meeting……..even if it did involve me going back home to get my tool box that I’d forgotten to pick up!

47480 Robin Hood got to stretch it’s legs this week with some Mk2s that hadn’t been out of the box before.

IMG_4188.jpeg

IMG_4189.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

After the third attempt to get a roof on the Italian ferry van I finally succeeded…..and a start on assembling the second one.

IMG_4190.jpeg

IMG_4193.jpeg

IMG_4192.jpeg

IMG_4191.jpeg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

The T-Trak modules also got a trip out. The gantry to hold the earlier signs was also largely completed, no photos yet.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 09/04/2024 at 18:00, PaulCheffus said:

Hi 

I used my last set to cast some in resin so I now have an endless supply 😀 and have just used some to create four more Belgian Ferry vans to diagram E266

Cheers

Paul

Before I use up the last of my ferry van ventilators I’d better cast some for future use. I thought it should be possible to make the mould using Silicon sealant? What resin did you use Paul? TIA.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, acg5324 said:

Before I use up the last of my ferry van ventilators I’d better cast some for future use. I thought it should be possible to make the mould using Silicon sealant? What resin did you use Paul? TIA.

Hi

This is what I used 

https://www.mbfg.co.uk/polycraft-moulding-casting-resin-kit-mini.html

I managed to get quite a lot of castings out of the set and I would gather together anything you might need in the future and cast it all together as the resin once opened has a limited life.

A rough estimate I got the following out of the set

50 BOC tank ends plus around the same number of vents

60 Freightliner bogie side frames

30 GPS bogie side frames

100 ferry van vents

50 75mm long seating strips

30 mk2 coach roof vents

The above doesn’t include the castings that weren’t perfect.

Cheers

Paul

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Just back from a short break to Bergen in Norway…..some train, LRT and funicular action during our stay. An organised tour as part to the holiday included the Flam Railway. The locos used on their are the Norwegian version of the SBB class 460…..so about 14000hp on a six coach train makes light work of the maximum gradient of 1 in 18!

DSC06746.jpeg

DSC06754.jpeg

DSC06747.jpeg

20240514_132554.jpeg

20240514_123942.jpeg

20240514_124207.jpeg

DSC06876.jpeg

DSC06879.jpeg

DSC06880.jpeg

DSC06888.jpeg

DSC06897.jpeg

DSC06904.jpeg