Peco O Gauge Set Track

two tone green

What do you want in the kit and what would you be happy to pay?

I like the idea of the "kit in a bag" with everything required and the frog, vee and blades ready made and a laser cut wooden sleeper base.

A 36" or 42" radius left, right and Y would be ideal for small layouts. Fifty quid (give or take a bit) would seem reasonable.

according to peco guy at telford it will be a minimum of 12 months before we see set track  points

Didnt they say that last year? :scratchhead:

I like the idea of the "kit in a bag" with everything required and the frog, vee and blades ready made and a laser cut wooden sleeper base.

A 36" or 42" radius left, right and Y would be ideal for small layouts. Fifty quid (give or take a bit) would seem reasonable.

Didnt they say that last year? :scratchhead:

If you are serious PM me and I'll put an pack together of what you need including laser cut base etc.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I am running  O gauge in an area of total width of only 8 feet. I am not restricted to 0-4-0 tanks because all my coarse scale locomotives will operate within 3 foot radius or less.  The latest mainline locos of Ace Trains of London and Seven Mill Models whilst lacking little bits of added detail are overall very convincing. They are now all 2 and 3 rail easily switchable. Indeed the Seven Mill bodies are produced by DJH and are I believe the same body shell as used in their ready to run finescale offerings. To see these standing and in action google a much much larger layout  Roy James, Dream City Layout. I would also recommend the tinplate tankers produced by ETS for W J Vintage to sell. If the trains are viewed only from within the circuit then the tight curves are less offensive to view than when seen from the outside looking in. I do not think Roy James is limited for space but he has chosen to change his finescale locos for coarse scale ones. 

All gone quiet on this thread, I was expecting my inbox to be over flowing with would be 7mm'ers wanting settrack kits! Guess there isn't a market after all. :)

Maybe the people likely to buy Setrack O points, are also the people still waiting to buy Dapol locomotives to run on them??.... no locos = no need for track..... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

those dimensions in the German article are a bit odd. At that radius the point would be 393mm not 168mm, which is length of OO setrack points. A point 168mm long would be very popular for small industrial/dockyard layouts. It should be possible to build small locos even 6 wheelers to go round sharper curves. My old Rivarossi O gauge 060 happily goes round 15in curves. Buffer lock is probably more difficult to prevent but not impossible.

168mm is the length of the blades till the frog/v iron or whatever. The diverging radius is 1028mm. I guess the total length should be around 300mm.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Andreas

168mm is the length of the blades till the frog/v iron or whatever. The diverging radius is 1028mm. I guess the total length should be around 300mm.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Andreas

Edited by 0_gauge_novice

those dimensions in the German article are a bit odd. At that radius the point would be 393mm not 168mm, which is length of OO setrack points. A point 168mm long would be very popular for small industrial/dockyard layouts. It should be possible to build small locos even 6 wheelers to go round sharper curves. My old Rivarossi O gauge 060 happily goes round 15in curves. Buffer lock is probably more difficult to prevent but not impossible.

The Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST will negotiate 36" radius and I have had it down to 28". The Fowler 0-4-0DM will easily take 24".

Going by how many sleepers there are, they are about 15"~16" long, with a radius of 40.5", so not going to be a great saving on space, but will allow tighter curvature into sidings. I wouldn't be surprised if they are using frogs & blades from the 6ft radius points.

The Ixion Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST will negotiate 36" radius and I have had it down to 28". The Fowler 0-4-0DM will easily take 24".

That is nice to know, as I may still have to try building points, seeing as Peco's are still looking to be too big, if I am ever going to get an 0 gauge layout built.

Hah - t'aint nuthin.... :P my AtlasO six-axle SD40 can take 2ft-radius curves.....

It can't pull any rolling stock round that corner, though... :blush: :D

Points were made from Code 100 rail, soldered to pcb strip, over photocopies of old Lima setrack points.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

Going by how many sleepers there are, they are about 15"~16" long, with a radius of 40.5", so not going to be a great saving on space, but will allow tighter curvature into sidings. I wouldn't be surprised if they are using frogs & blades from the 6ft radius points.

They could easily be shortened by 4 or 5 sleepers saving two to three inches and I doubt they are using the frogs from medium radius points as they are around 1 in 7 and the angle on these looks around 1 in 4.

• RMweb Premium

Great. This will democratise Gauge 0. Ideal for Compact industrial layouts. I don't need to build points. Bring them on. When will they be ready? I guess not for my next trip to the UK in May!

Dava

As I've said many times before, anything that can make O gauge more accessible can only be good for 7mm modelling as a whole.  With the good range of rtr stock now available it is only a matter of time before an "O gauge starter set" is available with a loco, a few wagons and an oval of track.

So, as far as availability new, realistically expected soon, or recently secondhand we've got locos (Ixion), wagons (Dapol, Lionheart, Skytrex) and track (Peco). The one hole I can see that limits the scope for a small r-t-r layout is a brake van as I don't think anyone does one. Not an insurmountable obstacle but a significant one as a brake van is probably one of the more demanding demanding wagon kit builds for a first timer and you do need one for anything other than a pure industrial scene.

It will probably be 400mm long, as that is the length of the set-track standard straight.

The excess length at the frog end can probably be trimmed down. I don't know what the track centres are for the set-track, but that can probably be trimmed down as well, giving you a shorter overall cross-over.

Based on having two standard curves (1020mm radius, 22.5 degree angle) set into an S-bend, this gives track centres of 156mm (some high school trigonometry, which surprisingly I still remember and use!)

Using the same mathematics, reducing the track centres to 80mm, you can get a cross-over in a total length of 566mm - quite handy if you ask me!

peco-weiche1.jpg

Edited by hartleymartin