Peco O Gauge Set Track

two tone green

• RMweb Premium

Of course you can build your own, but there is a group of us who are variously too busy, lazy, cack-handed or just who prefer to buy ready-to-play. I've built 0-9 & 0-12 points in the past but the appeal of point-building these days is limited/zero. Knowing what the geometry of these will be means I can plan the track layout and build baseboards or boxes in advance.

Dava

Of course you can build your own, but there is a group of us who are variously too busy, lazy, cack-handed or just who prefer to buy ready-to-play. I've built 0-9 & 0-12 points in the past but the appeal of point-building these days is limited/zero. Knowing what the geometry of these will be means I can plan the track layout and build baseboards or boxes in advance.

Dava

Pfft, tut tut, scoff scoff, can't be bothered to build your own track .... next thing people will be buying ready to plant buildings, oh how the world of model railways has been ilfultrated with these Non Proper Modelling types ;-)

"Winky smiley thing as I can't find the emojy icons on iPhone whilst typing this tongue in cheek post"

Happy modelling

Craig

Edited by muddys-blues
  • Like 1

Build your own, then there will be no waiting around I mean how long has this thread been running in anticipation of a final release date  :swoon: .

Martyn. 

PS .   The thread was actually started in September 2013, almost as bad as Dapol with their false hopes........ :smoke:

"You can lead a horse to water..." etc etc... ;)

Unfortunately also, repeating the same message over & over starts to remind me of a Certain Member's continuous attempts to "educate" everyone of the many failings of Dapol 7mm wagons - ultimately a futile task, as Dapol's sale of them at £20 each has proved a sell-out.

"Build your own points" can be posted a million times - it won't make any difference to those who don't want to. A bit like telling me "build hour own locos" - I've tried it & don't want to!! But I am building my own points, & spiking my own track :D

.... and MAN is it tedious?!?!!! :O

• Like 2

"You can lead a horse to water..." etc etc... ;)

Unfortunately also, repeating the same message over & over starts to remind me of a Certain Member's continuous attempts to "educate" everyone of the many failings of Dapol 7mm wagons - ultimately a futile task, as Dapol's sale of them at £20 each has proved a sell-out.

"Build your own points" can be posted a million times - it won't make any difference to those who don't want to. A bit like telling me "build hour own locos" - I've tried it & don't want to!! But I am building my own points, & spiking my own track :D

.... and MAN is it tedious?!?!!! :O

Yes I can see where your coming from, and I agree we are all different. I'm just one of these guys that does not want to rely on suppliers if there are other ways of achieving what you want. I will say no more on the subject, although I might be tempted to part with some hard earned when the 08 finally makes an appearance  :O .

Martyn.

• Like 1

Perhaps they should make some with a more gentle radius to avoid the buffer lock issue. Oh, wait...

In all seriousness, I'm sure it won't be long before people are insisting than Heljan's Co- Co diesels can negotiate these (they may already be able to do so, in all fairness- I've not looked). I think it's great that they are doing them, and I may even make a scenic plank with a couple in the future, but much like in real life there will obviously be restrictions on what can negotiate them, and users will have to select their stock appropriately. It would be a shame if the growing 0 gauge RTR supplier base were encouraged into making compromises of scale to make their locos and stock negotiate unrealistically tight (for that particular vehicle) radius trackwork, as seems to happen regularly in the smaller scales.

On another note, considering that when Peco put something into production they intend it to stay there for a very long time, and therefore will have put a very durable production process in place, I don't think the wait we've had for these is unreasonable at all. I think society has just got used to having everything available instantly, and that's just not viable for a small (in commercial terms, not model railways) manufacturer like Peco.   

Edited by brianthesnail96
  • Like 3

Personally, I would have liked some 48" or 60" radius points as the 72" "Medium" is all that has been available for many years. That's not to say that I don't welcome the set-track geometry points. I think that they would be extremely useful for industrial layouts where the only previous option has been to scratch-build.

I have a circle of PECO Set-Track at home still unopened. I may assemble it on Thursday and test my rolling stock on it. As stated earlier, our Ixion locos will easily negotiate a 36" radius curve, but the key issue is the couplings. I'll report back.

• Like 1

Due to a possible change of location for my railway, I'll be needing at least half a circle to connect the station to the fiddle yard on the other side of the loft. I can only imagine it working with transition curves of flexi at each end and even then, I'd be wary of propelling the short stuff!

Jon

My O gauge fleet, steam and diesel all go around 40 inch curves including a Heljan 40, 47, 55 37 etc  and steam 7MT, Black 5 Hall, Manor 45XX etc..........

So they are already making RTR that copes with this tight radius.

Forgot, even JLTRT 40 and 45 go around them as well.

My O gauge fleet, steam and diesel all go around 40 inch curves including a Heljan 40, 47, 55 37 etc  and steam 7MT, Black 5 Hall, Manor 45XX etc..........

So they are already making RTR that copes with this tight radius.

Forgot, even JLTRT 40 and 45 go around them as well.

Negotiating tight curves is one thing, as I posted here earlier a video of my Atlas SD40 can manage 2ft radius curves. But can all those big UK outline engines pull or push any stock through 40" radius, especially with buffers/scale couplers? Somehow, I doubt it.

Any idea why the first sleeper past the VEE on the straight is angled?

There doesnt appear to be a need for this and it looks a bit strange.

all the long green sleepers are not perpendicular to the straight rail as you mentioned, looks odd..

Of course, and I'm not thinking about people using them who are willing to accept those compromises, more the people that complain bitterly when a Class 37 fails to propel a rake of long wheelbase 4 wheel wagons through them and starts slating the manufacturer for poor loco/ wagon design- or worse, that we end up with new locos having half an inch of daylight between bogies and body, missing steps etc 'cos that's what is needed to get stuff through the points (I exaggerate, but such things are common enough in the smaller scales).

It's good to know that the Heljan diesels do go through "light engine" out of the box as I suspect they'll be popular for small space MPD layouts. I very occasionally operate a small diesel depot with tight radius (handbuilt) track and remembering which locos will go across the tighter points and which won't adds a whole extra dimension!

• 1 month later...

This mythical item was first discussed (from memory) about Feb 2013 so has now had its 2nd birthday as a topic but is yet to be born as a product.

Why not contact Peco? You could have learned to build your own turnouts and completed a layout while waiting for them to produce anything!

Dave

• Like 1