Peco O Gauge Set Track

two tone green

A good three way asymmetrical point in the F/S track range at 6' rad. would be a good move, and then do it in L/H by that I mean the L/H point branching off first and R/H versions with the R/H point branching off first.

But that may take a long looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

OzzyO.

Edited by ozzyo

At least two sources of RTL three-way points:

http://www.aandhmodels.co.uk/45036-three-way-manual-turnout--1125-degrees-1519-p.asp

http://www.marcway.net/list2.php?col=head&name=Marcway+O+Gauge+Pointwork

Usual disclaimers. I have never even looked in detail at Lenz track; according to the A&H website, the rail is NS FB. Marcway is NS BH rail, soldered to copperclad timbers, and available in 6 configurations.

I'm sure Peco have done their sums - if they thought that it would be a profitable investment, it would be on their "to do" list.

Best

Simon

• 5 months later...

Gents

I'm having slight difficulty picking out the "nuggets" from this thread, so could anyone clarify for me?

1) are Peco going to make c40" radius set-track points?

2) what code rail and/or flange-depth clearance to the rail-fastenings?

3) adjustable check rail gaps, or fixed, and if so to suit what back-to-back?

I'm into coarse-scale, which explains the questions, and if you follow the link to my thread, you can see what it is possible to fit into a converted garage, and read my rant about how many people deceive themselves into believing that 0 scale necessarily needs huge-radius curves, which it doesn't.

Kevin

• RMweb Premium

Tower Models have a useful plan view of the points on their website which shows a 40.5" radius, rail code and some indication of flange clearance. Due late 2016 according to the G0G guys. Not a moment too soon. I may have built some points by then!

http://www.tower-models.com/- look under PECO track

Dava

The track came today, I was quite surprised how large the corners are. I shouldn't be surprised given the scale, but when compared to OO and N scale equivalents, these are very forgiving corners. The track holds together quite tightly so I doubt it'll come apart when floor running. Very good quality and the sleepers seem to be quite tough, again compared to the OO equivalent. Might try and get some running in over the weekend and maybe a video review if I have time.

• Like 1

I'm into coarse-scale, which explains the questions, and if you follow the link to my thread, you can see what it is possible to fit into a converted garage, and read my rant about how many people deceive themselves into believing that 0 scale necessarily needs huge-radius curves, which it doesn't.

Kevin

It seems to me that huge-radius curves are in fact more due to couplings rather than size of models. Using buffers & 3-links needs generous radii for UK stuff bigger than short 4-wheel types.

With US O Scale I'm building a roundy-roundy in my loft, 17ft x 8ft, using 36inch radius curves, & it's 2-rail finescale. Yes the stock looks silly on such curves if viewed from overhead, but the layout is mounted quite high, so an eye-level, inside-curve view (you'd be a remarkable contortionist to get an outside-curve view!!!) gives quite an acceptable view and is a compromise I can live with.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

At least two sources of RTL three-way points:

http://www.aandhmodels.co.uk/45036-three-way-manual-turnout--1125-degrees-1519-p.asp

http://www.marcway.net/list2.php?col=head&name=Marcway+O+Gauge+Pointwork

Usual disclaimers. I have never even looked in detail at Lenz track; according to the A&H website, the rail is NS FB. Marcway is NS BH rail, soldered to copperclad timbers, and available in 6 configurations.

I'm sure Peco have done their sums - if they thought that it would be a profitable investment, it would be on their "to do" list.

Best

Simon

And, of course, the first of those is made by.....Peco. The radius/geometry that Peco plan to use also seems to be the same as Lenz R2.

Joseph

Are you sure?  I don't think there's any tie-up between Peco and Lenz, and the tracks don't look at all similar.

I guess it is possible that Peco contract manufacture for Lenz, but I've never heard of this if so  (but then I'm not privy to what they do!!!)

best

Simon

• Like 1

The current Lenz three way turnout is made by Peco under contract, unlike the other parts of the Lenz trackage system. Not sure if Lenz sourced a previous version from another supplier though.

I have recently purchased one of these Lenz turnouts and it is built in much the same way as other Peco O gauge pointwork but with continental style sleepering and spacing. It features proper rail section for the crossings (frogs), unlike the other Lenz turnouts which I believe use cast or stamped items in this area, much like Atlas USA O scale turnouts. On the underside of the sleepers in addition to having the Lenz trademark it also says 'PECO Made in England'

Key differences to UK Peco turnouts are the use of plastic for the check rails and an operating lever next to each tie bar in addition to the usual Peco 'over-centre' spring arrangement. The rail section matches the flat bottom rail in the Peco code 143 series but the rail is held in place by 'chairs' not 'Pandrol clips'. The geometry appears designed to mirror that of the existing Lenz range which is not the same as Peco UK products. The crossings (frogs) are DCC friendly with separate wires provided to power them independently via a changeover switch or a hex frog juicer.

Edited by vaughan45

• 3 weeks later...

well, i bought an oval of this set track, my terriers run well round it with my mix of 4 wheel wagons, and push the wagons round without buffer locking, even my longest wagon, the pill box and the long end of the terriers don't buffer lock coming onto the straights. so thumbs up from me, just need points. this allows me to play and run in my locos. needless to say, my Heljan class 47 can't push back round the track. anyone want to swap it for another terrier LOL

Ok.

Regarding s bend...

Bear in mind the terrier has a long end (cab end) and short end so the swing is different each end.

First, using my pillbox brake, as it has a long wheelbase and overhang, the buffers locked on the long end of the terrier but made it through on the short end.

I repeated the exercise with my slaters Thomas Meakings Po wagon and it worked both end of the terrier

It must be noted that it is only just not buffer locking and done at low speed allowing buffer faces time to wipe. If done quick then they might lock. I shall put a vid on YouTube and drop it on here to see