Peco O Gauge Set Track

two tone green

This mythical item was first discussed (from memory) about Feb 2013 so has now had its 2nd birthday as a topic but is yet to be born as a product.

Why not contact Peco? You could have learned to build your own turnouts and completed a layout while waiting for them to produce anything!

Dave

i probably will at york.

i have no interest in building my own points.

i have seen the images, thats why i asked if there was any new news since.

has anybody any more news on these points ?

whats funny ?

What's funny? I think Dave has summed up the situation quite well, and I find it all very amusing as that's exactly what I have done!

This mythical item was first discussed (from memory) about Feb 2013 so has now had its 2nd birthday as a topic but is yet to be born as a product.

Why not contact Peco? You could have learned to build your own turnouts and completed a layout while waiting for them to produce anything!

Dave

There's no 'black art' or anything to fear from building your own points. If anything it's easier in 7mm than the smaller scales, & the standard 32mm gauge has a lot of 'slack' in it, or as I prefer to call it, 'tolerance', so things don't have to be watch-maker-precise either. ;)

There's no 'black art' or anything to fear from building your own points. If anything it's easier in 7mm than the smaller scales, & the standard 32mm gauge has a lot of 'slack' in it, or as I prefer to call it, 'tolerance', so things don't have to be watch-maker-precise either. ;)

Agree completely. I enjoy building points and it is not a difficult process. I also like being able to tailor points to fit a situation rather than vice versa, a bit like real railways.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I talked to a chap who works in the design office at Peco and he said the design is done and now joining the queue for the tool room which is very long. Probably best to expect next year was his estimate purely down to the amount of work for the tool room. Plenty of time to plan ;)

If you need points quicker try places like Marcway who build in copperclad. They go down to 48in radius only slightly larger.

http://www.marcway.net/list2.php?col=head&name=Marcway+O+Gauge+Pointwork

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

Peck supply individulay milled point blades & crossing fees which simplify point building with either plastic or PCB sleepers

Dava

I talked to a chap who works in the design office at Peco and he said the design is done and now joining the queue for the tool room which is very long. Probably best to expect next year was his estimate purely down to the amount of work for the tool room. Plenty of time to plan ;)

If you need points quicker try places like Marcway who build in copperclad. They go down to 48in radius only slightly larger.

http://www.marcway.net/list2.php?col=head&name=Marcway+O+Gauge+Pointwork

i talked to the peco guys at york and saw the mock up.they told me the same sometime next year.

i couldnt be bothered posting on here at the time because of all the silly comments i was getting when i asked if anybody had any updated info.

i dont really like the look of the marcway points.

• RMweb Gold

Well I think it's a good idea, and I've handbuilt O gauge points in the past which to be honest I find tedious filing blades and crossings. To each their own but there seems to be a mixture of elitism from some and impatience from others that frankly doesn't encourage people into the gauge. I've been there done that and went into other scales. Now I'm dabbling again thanks to the rtr offerings which might mean other manufacturers offering products that those putting these down actually find useful ;)

It's not like Peco don't offer a lot for O gauge modellers and some of the most renowned modellers used their track.

Just for the record I had 3 Underhlill and etched steam locos plus 2 RJH diesels, an atlas switcher and a scratchbuilt sentinel I built for myself along with various other steam and diesel kits I built for others, (including a commission for EMD). So I am capable of modelling but just don't see the point (ha) in scratchbuilding track unless I need to ;) I know some damn good modellers, one who does work for masterpiece, and they don't show this scorn for rtr.

You must have a wide table......................

Best, Pete.

6'6" x 2'6" So it won't be a continuous loop layout, but I'd like to be setting up an industrial shunting layout, as I have quite a few industrial and light-railway locomotives either already on my roster or ear-marked for purchase in the next 6-12 months.

In the interim you could make your own set track if it is sorely needed. I did just that for a test track some years ago. I made it from code 100 and pc sleepers. A rail joiner was soldered on at each end. I made a template for the 3' radius sections ,which was nothing more than a curve drawn on a plank and some pins for guidance. It allowed me to test various coupler options and other ideas if I had to work in a restricted area. One thing I do remember from the exercise was not needing any gauge widening on those tight curves.

regards

Bob Comerford

• Like 1

Bob

You remind me that I built some industrial set track in 16mm scale some 20 years or so ago. Very good stamped brass sleepers, (originals were steel, Pechot?) three to a length of track, cast white metal crossing & check rails common for all point geometries (left, right & wye), all very prototypical.

Not ideal for two rail operation... Great for scratch built plasticard Rustons with a pair of AA cells,Slaters wagon wheels (coarse scale), and a Mabuchi motor. Some skips from Colin Binnie - hours of fun, on a card table!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Would be interesting to see any photos, Simons, though may predate digital era?

Did you cast the crossings?

Sounds similar to the Brian Clarke kits

Dava

Dava,

thanks for the reminder - Brian Clarke - that's the name.  Is he still going?  I'm sure he provided the whitemetal castings of the crossings, and possibly the blades as well.

no, sadly, no photos, and it all got sold, years ago.  The Rustons (one plasticard, one brass) were sold in December last along with my 16mm Prince and a Baldwin GM from Wrightscale - to fund a Lionheart mogul...

best

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

I'd imagine it being different radii in different directions.

But I'd also imagine that holding your breath might not be advisable.

(And do check out the Lenz set track)

Best

Simon

If Peco ever  released a medium radius 3-way point there would be one on every layout I would build. Heck, I would probably build new layouts just because there was a three-way available!

Marty you have to build your. " first one " of your " own " first

Yes you are right a 3 way RTR by Peco would be a winner

I did build a small shunting layout, but it only got as far as track-on-boards with DC wiring before I dismantled it. No photos exist, unfortunately. From memory, it was a basic 3-siding Inglenook with an added kick-back siding.

I dismantled it at the time because I only had my 19 class for motive power and it was really too big for such a tiny layout. If I had the Hudswell Clarke and Manning Wardle back then it would have been a different matter.

Edited by hartleymartin