Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Farnley Burton - No Progress, but I am building a house

freebs

Thanks Westerham. I spent a very enjoyable hour last night reading your thread (I'm still not finished) I'll be looking at your points throwing method in the coming months I reckon... :)

*edit* Woohoo Nine pages! (most of it's me, but never mind :) )

Edited by freebs

Those sacks go to show how careful painting can spoof the mind into thinking there's texture.  Lovely stuff!

It's surprisingly quick to achieve decent results. I just used a cheap stiff brush, wiped 99% of the paint off, then roughly flicked it over the surface of the sacks (getting a heck of a lot of it on my finger in the process)

I might make some more if I can squeeze a 25th hour in today ;) 

• RMweb Gold

I think they'll look pretty good in thee dingy light of the loading dock inside the shed.

I think they look pretty damn good in any light!

Brilliant mate, love the colouring you've got on them.

Al.

A bit of lunchtime modelling - I had to nip out to get some superglue to fix the "chain" in place

It's made from cotton, stiffened with a bit of coloured watered down pva

The winch rope was literally threaded on with a needle and thread, until I'd got sufficient wrapped around the winch drum, having already glued this on previously

The crane hook was made by drawing the shape of the hook in Illustrator, then sending it to the cutting plotter which then scored the shape onto a piece of 30 thou. I then carefully went round with a sharp scalpel. The rope end of the hook was then given a dose of solvent then introduced to the end of the "chain", finally being fixed firmly with a tiny dot of pva on the opposite side.

I then held the whole thing in the air with one hand whilst i gave the hook a short mist of aerosol grey primer in situ

post-15693-0-54200800-1387464036.jpg

• Like 1

This is turning into a brilliant relay race, with the baton being handed on, and the work being able to be compared, superb stuff.It is lovely to share with other people. I do  similar thing with the other Goathland layout people, sharing ideas. The point is not the race but the team effort. Plus the camaraderie. Not only informative but fun to read.  :sungum:

You know how it is Lee,how you can be happily grouching around moaning about how utterly crxp everything about Xmas is,when something like C&WR's card comes along and you lower your guard just momentarily and a bit of Christmas good will catches you of guard.

It's just happened to me Lee. So here's wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

All the best.

Iain.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for all the Christmas wishes that I missed until now, and a happy new year to you Kali, and indeed all the readers of this thread that made the second half of 2013 an inspiration. Here's to actually getting some scenic work done this year, and not changing my mind for the millionth time on the track layout!!

• Like 2

Freebs  I have been following the goods shed build with awe  i do notice  1 or 2 things you may have missed  out  

the shed cat   and a couple of mice  for him / her to catch   (   lol  that's a challenge  after the aspidistra)

• Like 1

Freebs

you've been away a while, have the cats emigrated? Or are you producing some secret new product?

I'm still here Jaz, just working on individually tiling the Goods Shed roof.... Oooh me back, oh my eyes!

I even had my daughter wanting to help me tile last night… Great stuff.

No Battery in camera, but now have slated the loading canopy and the office block (minus the coping stones which needs an order of microstrip)