Farnley Burton - No Progress, but I am building a house

freebs

Anyone fed up of roof trusses?

I've added a couple of suuporting columns at either end, and I gave the beams an initial paint job last night. I've also started work on a crane, with many thanks to those people who have sent me source material :)

Apologies for the harsh camera phone pics. I left the DSLR switched on and exhausted the battery :(

post-15693-0-67389600-1386684465.jpg

post-15693-0-08190200-1386684466.jpg

• Like 4

Another vote of congratulations for the roof trusses.  I had liked my Scalescenes ones a lot, but there is certainly inspiration there for me, especially as I had "liberated" a shed load of coffee stirrers from Rugby.  When they charge £4.20 for a Guinness I think that's fair ;)

I was also planning to use the Wills yard crane inside, but am now thinking again.  Either styrene or some stirrers will come into play, depending on whether I can find a little wheel or two.  Looks as if the crane is fixed to a truss at the top?

I'm at home at the weekend, might need to borrow the copy of Vaughn...

• Like 1

Marvellous work, Lee! As Al says, very atmospheric interior shot.

Um...did you stain those beams with Colron :mosking: ? Someone will have something to say about that...

seriously though, it's looking fab.

cheers,

Iain

Iain - if I'd had some Colron, I would have, but no, it's a wash of burnt umber, followed by a wash of black. I'll dry brush a bit of lighter brown/ cream on next...

• Like 1

I have hit somewhat of a wall with my crane.

Without some fiddly little wheels and cogs, it's just a couple of lumps of wood stuck together. I tried dismantling an old clock, but the cogs were too big. What I need is an old watch, and what I don't have is an old watch :(

Anyway, here it is balanced in situ in the obligatory "through the door" shot.

post-15693-0-44914500-1386796918.jpg

I have actually dry brushed a bit of highlight onto the beams since the last update, but it doesn't show in this light. I've got the day of tomorrow, so I'll try and get a daylight shot.

What I have managed to achieve is a fireplace, communication door, painting and noticebaord in the office.

post-15693-0-99391400-1386796931.jpg

Also, I've started weathering the outside of the building. The office was the first to get the treatment:

post-15693-0-31664700-1386796924.jpg

Then came the main building:

post-15693-0-83110800-1386796937.jpg

I'm quite happy with how it's looking. It's nowhere near as dark as the last buildings and they don't match in colour, but this is more the colouring I was initially after. Although I like the station, I'm veering towards a repaint to take it more like the colour of this one...

Edited by freebs
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

You can get these on ebay, if you want. Missy gave me the tip and I used some of them for my cranes:

P2016576.jpg

As far as I remember I bought mine from this seller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HUGE-PACK-100g-50g-Watch-parts-STEAMPUNK-ALTERED-ART-CRAFTS-CYBERPUNK-cogs-gears-/190847932569?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2c6f6c5899

The contents vary, so there's no 100% guaranteee of what you get exactly. Most of the smaller gears in my package have cogs/teeth that you have to deal with, but some of the larger ones do not and could possibly be used.

Edited for bizarre mis-spellings, must have been sleepy :-)

Edited by Mikkel

Evening All

I've been roofing tonight.

post-15693-0-70929000-1386974038.jpg

Only got as far as the base layer, but after reading Allan Downes' explanation of how to tile a roof, I've got hundreds of little roof tiles ready to glue on.

I've added a strip of bargeboard to either gable, but at this point am undecided whether to add a board under the eaves or not...

post-15693-0-29877600-1386974041.jpg

Excuse the photos - The house is too much of a tip to find anywhere decent to set up a shot - I had to settle on the hall carpet :)  (I've been tto busy modelling to tidy ;) )

Anyway, thought I'd have a bit of a play with a roof on shot using an LED torch to provide "moonlight"

post-15693-0-57958800-1386974042.jpg

and a shot at night, with the moonlight streaming in through the open door and windows.

post-15693-0-99147100-1386974045.jpg

Crane has been removed again, waiting for some cogs to carry on.

I'm also going to make some packing crates.

*edit* And just a little photoshop with a conversion to Greyscale and a bit of Film Grain added...

post-15693-0-19836400-1386974441.jpg

Edited by freebs
  • Like 7

Wow... The last picture in B&W is Brilliant ! You'd guess it's a picture just taken out of the GWR Historical Society archives !!!!!

Can't wait to see the thing finished with flat wagons, figures and stuff inside the goods shed ! I can guess that's going to be one of the best modelling pictures I'll have ever seen then !

Eric.

Back to the Crane for a moment

Whilst doing a spot of tidying up last night, I found a lego steering wheel in one of my modelling pots (I keep bits of current projects in old takeaway tubs) whilst looking for something else. I had a bit of a brainwave - it looked just right (if a tad over scale) for the winding mechanism for the crane....

post-15693-0-74202000-1387285726.jpg

It's only rough at the moment, but the wheel is the steering wheel cut off the full piece, the winding roll is a section of biro tubing, which interestingly fits perfectly. I drilled a 3mm hole in two bits of 20thou and fashioned the brackets from this :)

I'll wait for it to dry a bit more and then try to sand the edges a bit more smooth. 

I think I'm being a bit too worried about achieving  finescale here as you'll never really see the detail of the crane, but it's fun!

In other news, I'm making some packing crates...

stay tuned...

• Like 3

it's a bit rough at the moment, but should look ok from a regular viewing distance. 

All hand cut, including the bars - I really need some more microstrip :)

what do you think?

1 packing crate= 45 minutes

I need at least a dozen...

post-15693-0-80299400-1387288251.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant!

Wot 'e said!

;)

Funnily enough, I was standing outside the office the other morning looking at a pile of pallets, and working out how to model them in 4mm :)

I think I need to step away from the MEK-PAK for a bit, it's becoming an obsession...