If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Hello from Essex

BigBountyHunter

• RMweb Premium

Originally there was three different versions, two four car units one with and one without a buffet car, the third a two car unit that was unusual for an OHLE EMU in having the guards compartment (and pantograph) at the cab end of the power car.

Originally there was three different versions, two four car units one with and one without a buffet car, the third a two car unit that was unusual for an OHLE EMU in having the guards compartment (and pantograph) at the cab end of the power car.

I remember the one with the panto at the front, i think i also vaguely remember when it was bumped up to a four car unit, as a nipper i used to look out for it because it stuck out like a sore thumb! (sad aint i lol) i always liked the 308's and 302's aswellespecially when they were in plain blue livery, there is part of a 302 unit at Mangapps railway

Hello from another Essex lad from part of the county that also misses the 309s, Harwich. High time a RTR model was produced I think, although I'd be after an NSE one. However if one came out in maroon it'd be hard to resist.. They looked superb!

It might be time to start having a word with those nice people from Barwell me thinks.. :yes:

Welcome from another Essex boy, although I live on the border with Herts.

If you can make the Shenfield show, I'll be there but as a helper rather than exhibitor. I belong to the club and enjoy going - I can't stand politics when my hobby's involved, so Mid Essex club does me just fine as they don't like politics either!

Class 309's were wonderful, I don't mind admitting I remember them in maroon.

We obviously know neither Bachmann or Hornby do a RTR model, but there is this http://www.britanniapacific.co.uk/Overhead%20Electric%20Units.htm Not cheap, but ready to run.

Phil

Welcome 'BBH', from an older 'Essex-boy', born in Chelmsford, grew up in Ongar area, lived in Witham (1982 -6 ), now live in glorious Dorset, and here I'll stay - say no more :sungum: .

Thankyou good sir, and i might i say you are living my dream!!!! one day when i win the lottery im going to move to Dorset i love it there! im slightly green with envy haha! my Grandad had a farm in the Ongar area so i know that quiet well, cheers mate  :sungum:

Welcome from another Essex boy, although I live on the border with Herts.

If you can make the Shenfield show, I'll be there but as a helper rather than exhibitor. I belong to the club and enjoy going - I can't stand politics when my hobby's involved, so Mid Essex club does me just fine as they don't like politics either!

Class 309's were wonderful, I don't mind admitting I remember them in maroon.

We obviously know neither Bachmann or Hornby do a RTR model, but there is this http://www.britanniapacific.co.uk/Overhead%20Electric%20Units.htm Not cheap, but ready to run.

Phil

Thats brilliant Phil thankyou, a bit beyond my means but great to know someone produces them, id love to get to the shenfield show, fingers crossed! cheers mate

Hello from another Essex lad from part of the county that also misses the 309s, Harwich. High time a RTR model was produced I think, although I'd be after an NSE one. However if one came out in maroon it'd be hard to resist.. They looked superb!

It might be time to start having a word with those nice people from Barwell me thinks.. :yes:

Hello mate, I love harwich, love visiting the old forts and redoubt, i also like the fact the old goods yard is still intact if only just, looks rather neglected now, wonder how much longer it will survive?, I always remember when the 309s got past colchester whether going to clacton walton or harwich they always started making that clickety clack noise that only a 309 can do so well!

• RMweb Premium

You couldn't beat the refurb 309's for sheer comfort. I rather liked the bouncy seats on the 302's and 308's aswell though.

You what Lloyd????????

Referb 309 comfortable with its Mk2 seats??????

No the most comfortable seat in a Mk1 was on an AM9. The non smoking section of the open saloon in the downgraded first class of the country end DTC of a buffet set just before they refurbished them. A single armchair.

post-16423-0-61528900-1379012716_thumb.png

hi glen welcome aboard.

its a shame space always confines us im stuck with an 8`x 4` layout out the moment but cant wait to get a bigger space and sprawl out you no 

Hi soldier184, nice to meet you, i can only dream of an 8'x4' layout! mines a rather embarrassing 3'x1' micro ! lol i am also in the planning stage of 3'x8" n gauge layout which will either be a blue diesel depot or a light railway branch , just cant decide, im breaking up my 4'x1' oo gauge layout and trying to make some space, I know how you feel id love to sprawl out but alas!!!

Hi Glen,

I'm a bit of a stranger in these parts, living just inside the East Midlands, modelling 30's GWR and rarely travelling to your end of the world but clearly you are not alone and the fact that you take the trouble to respond to posters makes this thread grow very fast. Welcome, it is nice to hear from you as it brings about a burst of collective "Essex Men"!

Hi Glen,

I'm a bit of a stranger in these parts, living just inside the East Midlands, modelling 30's GWR and rarely travelling to your end of the world but clearly you are not alone and the fact that you take the trouble to respond to posters makes this thread grow very fast. Welcome, it is nice to hear from you as it brings about a burst of collective "Essex Men"!

hello mr Gruffalo!! thankyou, nice to meet you too! i have never been called a "collective" before so on behalf of Essex men we honored! seriously though i am pleased to meet all you guys and gals its a great little community, i dont feel such a loner anymore! i do military modelling too but have never had anyone to share my interest in railways with except my mate who lives miles away! so im pleased to have found you guys! im modelling 70's / 80/s br and am building a 3'x1' micro shunting yard and today have just ruined a very expensive pair of points! :banghead: nevermind two more on order should be here tomorrow, if at first you dont suceed and all that!

• RMweb Premium

Hi Glen,

Oi Gruffalo !!!!!!

I may live in Essex but I ain't no Essex Man :nono: ....I don't own a pair of white socks for a starter :dontknow:

I was born and brought up in Bedford.....as one of my army colleagues said "Someone has to come form there".

It was the lovely army that sent me to Colchester. While there I met my first SWMBO and when I left the army I settled here apart from a short stint in Worthing. 35 years I have lived in Essex.....still no white socks :cry:

I think here in Essex we are lucky in having quite a few well established clubs, and exhibitions. Over the years we have had some good model shops, and here in Chelmsford we are very lucky in having John Dutfield Model Railways.

"Essex Man" lives on in the mind of newspaper reporters and rotten stand up "comics".

Born in Highbury, moved to Shenfield when 5 years old. I still like the place, even from Gotham City.

Welcome to RMWeb... 

Best, Pete.

Hello Pete, thanks mate nice to meet you, I dont know why Essex has that image, personally i think its a lovely place, i lived in lawford, manningtree, Tollesbury, Great Totham, and now back in Witham, spent many a happy day at Colchester depot as a kid and Stratford, and of course london's not too far either. Thanks for getting in touch  :sungum:

I'm Colchester born and bred. I too spent many happy days at Colchester Station back in the days when diesels still reigned supreme. The depot is a sad reminder of the good old days when 31's, 37's and 47's were an all to common sight there.

Last time i saw the depot, (about 6 months ago) it was very run down, a single DRS 57 was the only diesel i saw standing outside the shed, the rest of the site was full of 321 units and a hell of alot of weeds ! :huh: You probably used to sit in the same place as me right on the end of the platform as close as you could get to the shed!? i remember the 31's and 37's and 47's fondly also the green 08 and 03 shunters the 08 was called Camulodunum, oh the memories! you have inspired me to go dig out some old photos sir!!

Archived