Where are the Hornby models?

• RMweb Gold

Ian,

Are you saying yours arrived today? 

Are you happy with it?

Sorry....I phrased that incorrectly....I meant that it came into stock at Rails and Hattons today. Take a look on Rails website....nice pics.No,I haven't ordered one yet. At last,one without the deflectors in crimson and as built,though not as I saw her,at Shrewsbury in October 1953,ex-works from Crewe on a 3 coach non corridor local..... A "running -in" turn....BR green,deflectors and lion &wheel on tender.An hour later her sister 46236 "City of Bradford" took charge of a Plymouth-Liverpool express.Heady days on the North to West!

Well I have bought one from Hattons.

I have faith! I'll be interested in the quality of the lining, not Hornby's best on tender frames and maybe a different factory will do better!

And I also have a weathered streamlined wartime black 'City of Lancaster' which gives an overlap of 3 years where both could be seen together, if Irwell's book of liveries is right.... 6234 Abercorn LMS red right through the war, it got deflectors early on... 3/46 according to Irwell. 6243 was streamlined black from 1944-49.

What a contrast!

• RMweb Gold

Those were fascinating times,were they not ? The colours of the rainbow....crimson,black,blue,green....and eventually back to crimson for their swansong....and cries of "semi" from the schoolboys on the North end of Crewe station.

I shall buy 6234.....the dream team of Her Grace at the head of a rake of Hornby LMS Stanier coaches.

How about an "artists impression" ,Rob ?....Regard,Ian....P.S. Have booked a run of 46233 out over Shap and return via Aisgill in October.

Oh yes the great ? days of Duchesses hauling stupendous loads during the war and straight afterwards, the days of colour, I shall certainly exhume my several LMS Stanier coaches.. for both versions of Britain's most powerful steam express engines.

Here is a Rails pic of Abercorn, (suitably credited), the lining looks as rough as ever but judicious use of a dye or pencil tip might tone it down a bit. My well-practised art of editing will also render the engine to be a little more real.... once I have finished with several Black 5s and Bulleids...!

edit, image removed, copyright, sorry

Something that is beginning to annoy me is the hype write ups in the model press re new products, some of which are seemingly sold out before they are made / delivered to the shops !!

Fancy a P2 ? tough - all sold (at Hattons) - wait for the rave reviews though.

http://www.ehattons.com/60224/Hornby_R3207_Class_P2_2_8_2_2001_Cock_O_The_North_in_LNER_livery_Main_range_version_Etched_n/StockDetail.aspx

A strange and unsure future our hobby seems to have.

Brit15

Having received four new Hornby models this month all originally due for release in 2013, so I am assuming that Hornby are getting on top of their supply problems.

I ordered some SR Bogie Van B's back in January 2013(!) and both R4536B green and R4586 crimson varieties arrived early this month. Just for the fun of it I obtained the R4534A BR(SR) Maunsell Pull Push Coach Pack No.616, I don't really like the things, but they look just right behind a BR liveried M7.

This was followed by two of the LNER A4 No.4462 Great Snipe models, also ordered back in 2013. A few quality issues with this one though, the cabside numbers aren't straight and the front (bufferbeam, except A4s don't have bufferbeams?!) number is positioned too high, it's bisected by the middle lamp iron when it should be below it (and be larger) ... oh and the nameplate is not of the best quality, so a quick order from Fox yielded a much improved Great Snipe and a renamed Wild Swan is on the way.

Happy Modelling,

Glenn

Something that is beginning to annoy me is the hype write ups in the model press re new products, some of which are seemingly sold out before they are made / delivered to the shops !!

Fancy a P2 ? tough - all sold (at Hattons) - wait for the rave reviews though.

http://www.ehattons.com/60224/Hornby_R3207_Class_P2_2_8_2_2001_Cock_O_The_North_in_LNER_livery_Main_range_version_Etched_n/StockDetail.aspx

Brit15

Other retailers are available.....

Just different and perhaps more like the way the hobby already works in the US.

Here, if you don't preorder, you may well miss out. I expect that we will see more pre-production details available. (This is already happening.) The difference is the reviews in the press. We'll see more "pre-production" reviews of samples, rather than finished consumer items.

Well, this is a sign of the times. My one planned Hornby purchase for the year and this arrived from Hattons earlier today following a pre-order I placed some time ago ...

"Dear customer

We have been informed by Hornby that unfortunately we will now no longer be able to fulfil your order for The Great Goodbye A4 due to them being unable to provide us with a sufficient quantity to cover all pre-orders already taken.  As a result we have therefore no option other than to cancel the pre-order which you have placed for this item. In the interests of fairness this has been done in reverse order date.

We hope you appreciate that the matter is beyond our control and it is a situation that we are working closely with Hornby in order to improve for the benefit all our customers. We thought we would notify you as soon as possible to give you the best chance of finding an alternative supplier for the model.

Kindest regards,

Hattons Model Railways"

Still, at least it will leave more money left over for all the Bachmann purchases I have planned. Even pre-orders don't seem to be enough to guarantee a Hornby purchase these days. Very sad to see. I just hope Hornby can get their act together at some point. It's already some time since my last Hornby purchase.

Well, this is a sign of the times. My one planned Hornby purchase for the year and this arrived from Hattons earlier today following a pre-order I placed some time ago ...

If you would still like one, Hornby will be happy to sell it to you directly. They will staff a telephone hotline starting at 9:00am on Sunday to take orders. They have sent an email to that effect to their mailing list.

You can also find the details here.

If you would still like one, Hornby will be happy to sell it to you directly. They will staff a telephone hotline starting at 9:00am on Sunday to take orders. They have sent an email to that effect to their mailing list.

You can also find the details here.

Thanks for that, but it was just the Union of South Africa I wanted. I see it's still advertised on Hatton's website as due to arrive on 15th April.

Not the first time I've seen that. If I remember correctly Hattons did the same thing with an O1 - may have been one of the BR liveried ones. :scratchhead:

I bought a second hand NRM Butler Henderson at Perth last year and it had the dart missing too. Perhaps if both manufacturers started making that particular part out of metal rather than plastic it might last a bit longer!! :angry:

Mike. :)

Alternatively, what if they moulded it into the smokebox door, then it wouldn't fall off! You could call it 'smart design' or something similar ..... [thinks] ..... I know - 'design clever'!!

I see today's Rails announcement includes Gresley Full Brakes at £47.00.  Gone are the days when you could save up your pocket money and buy a coach.  Perhaps Hornby have decided that it is only us older members who have not yet grown up that are willing and can afford to buy these models of older rolling stock?

Regards

Ray

• RMweb Gold

I see today's Rails announcement includes Gresley Full Brakes at £47.00.  Gone are the days when you could save up your pocket money and buy a coach.  Perhaps Hornby have decided that it is only us older members who have not yet grown up that are willing and can afford to buy these models of older rolling stock?

Regards

Ray

Other suppliers offering them for under £40 but I suspect they won't last long at that price.

John

Other suppliers offering them for under £40 but I suspect they won't last long at that price.

John

Curiously I recently tried shifting some Gresley's on Ebay they are very slow to move.

• RMweb Gold

Curiously I recently tried shifting some Gresley's on Ebay they are very slow to move.

I think I know what you mean; I got a mint/boxed maroon Buffet for £14 the other day!

The Full Brakes seem more popular, probably because the real thing covered a lot more territory.

John

Maroon, I am somewhat stunned at the RRP price hike. I've about 23 I was going to halve that number - likely I'll try some Goddard conversions I've done an RF and and RTO I may try some others...  

In the thread '2014 Hornby Announcements' some BR (ex-lner) Gresley teaks were mentioned, R4598 to R4602, which would be available through Hornby concessions.

It talked about an RRP of £62 each.

Has anyone seen these items mentioned anywhere else?

I can't even find them on the Hornby website.

Alternatively, what if they moulded it into the smokebox door, then it wouldn't fall off! You could call it 'smart design' or something similar ..... [thinks] ..... I know - 'design clever'!!

:beee: :D

All joking aside, though, there are many small details on the latest generation of RTR that would benefit from being done in metal rather than plastic. The pipework over the firebox on Hornby's T9, M7 and N15 being good examples. Also lamp brackets, whistles, reversing rods and anything else which would run the risk of being broken no matter how careful you are handling them.

Yes, it would probably bump the price up, but they would be more robust.

Mike. :)

Those were fascinating times,were they not ? The colours of the rainbow....crimson,black,blue,green....and eventually back to crimson for their swansong....and cries of "semi" from the schoolboys on the North end of Crewe station.

I shall buy 6234.....the dream team of Her Grace at the head of a rake of Hornby LMS Stanier coaches.

How about an "artists impression" ,Rob ?....Regard,Ian....P.S. Have booked a run of 46233 out over Shap and return via Aisgill in October.

I hope you enjoy this trip Ian, I'm rather jealous. Have no doubt I will enjoy making photos of 6234 Abercorn and Lancaster in various scenes yet to be devised, City of Lancaster in weathered wartime black arrived today from Preston. I think the Duchess suggests that Hornby isn't dead yet. The Rails pic shows a slightly bent nameplate on the fireman's side of the boiler, so it ain't perfect! But as others have said recently in various threads, the RTR models of the last 14 years have been very, very good.

Archived