Where are the Hornby models?

Railroad Duke of Gloucester just arrived at my local box shifter. One less now...

I did a search for a Duke via Google yesterday and came up with what I hope is going to be a RR version delivered to me this week or next, but they are certainly not all over the web.  At under £70 I think this will be great value, I tend to compare it to models before the age of highly labour-intensive detail, shades of Binns Road...

Not worried about it being the RR version either as I find the white-painted detail less-than-convincing, and can probably source front steps from a Standard class detail pack, and I will be looking to photograph it in BR condition, or the BR condition it ought to have had, with the design/construction shortcomings fixed.

I borrowed this pic from Rails who have none in stock, and hope they don't mind. I need something to slaver-over while waiting for the parcel to arrive!  Hattons have an excellent pic of the main version but the RR version is hard to find illustrated..  I have re-touched the cylinder area in the pic.

edit; it has brakes shoes on all six drivers, how cool is that for a basic model? And the engine tender gap looks about right...

post-7929-0-27390500-1388948817.jpg

Quite a few things beginning to arrive but it seems in quite small numbers. I've hear mention of DoG , Sentinels, B17 and I think a Grange. But it does seem to be a trickle.

Here is part of that trickle, a B17 which I received three days ago, it was despatched from Liverpool to NZ  six days before that, and it arrived undamaged in spite of being thrown at my back doorstep.

Anyone for a holiday by the sea courtesy Nigel Gresley and his summer-relief semi-fast train to the coast?

post-7929-0-82116400-1388949376_thumb.jpg

Emailed Hattons as to when one might expect a delivery of non DCC Knight of the Grand Cross.

Answer was Hornby have issued no delivery date!

Fantastic ! Not !

Beyond a bl##dy joke this is.....I knew I shoulda got one from Cheltenham Models before Xmas when I had the chance.... <grrrrr>

Beyond a bl##dy joke this I

The whole hobby (major supplier side) seems to be getting the same.

Sky-high prices, non availability, short production runs pre sold out, meaningless dates for future deliveries (that are put further & further forward), design clever moulded detail cost cutting, locos with no bearings, solid con rods binding on curves, increasing quality control problems, non existent spares to rectify same, the list goes on and on.

Now Hattons are selling "pre owned like new" locos that are more expensive than a brand new one !! (Baccy Class 25). This will all end in tears I predict.

Apollo's new year resolution - Stop spending & get some of those modelling projects started / finished.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Hattons Email just now delivered the bad news that the R3167 BR Star is now delayed AGAIN to at least the 24th of February.

Shambles, shambles, shambles....

The Castle Wellington slated for February 24th also. So, that'll have slipped from 25/08/13 to 16/12/13 to 24/02/14. What shall we say for the next date in that sequence? 28/10/2015? It's now becoming like groundhog day month - preposterous! 

I would love to know Hornby's cash flow situation right now... 

• RMweb Gold

The Castle Wellington slated for February 24th also. So, that'll have slipped from 25/08/13 to 16/12/13 to 24/02/14. What shall we say for the next date in that sequence? 28/10/2015? It's now becoming like groundhog day month - preposterous! 

I would love to know Hornby's cash flow situation right now... 

Any idea on the reason for the delay as this one has been promised for several catalogues.Is it because it's a difficult livery.

I think that while Hornby's reputation is close to being in tatters due to a combination of factors, some self-inflicted, the best route now would be to pull out of model railways for an unspecified period. At least Hornby's dissapearance would get people saying how much they missed the company therebye enhancing it's reputation. A 2015 come-back or later would be welcomed and it would give Hornby a chance to lay out its stall in a sensible and sustainable manner.

I'm just going through one of my rare phases where I'm acquiring new red boxes in some quantity: Fish vans, LMS CCTs, and admittedly heavily discounted Hawksworth and Stanier full brakes. 

Hornby are doing something right just now where I'm concerned, I guess it really does just take ages for the supply cycle to turn.  And as I'm between layouts, I'm in no hurry whatsoever. 

I do sometimes wonder how many of the new products being clamoured for literally have a train waiting in someone's holding sidings, unable to move because its loco, brake van or some other key constituent has exceeded the original delivery promise from China....

Still waiting on the HST that was supposed to be delivered November 2012. Last date was December 16th 2013. I thought HSTs were fast? :jester:  :jester:

R3138, Western HST:      Due w/c 30th June into Margate

R3269: Eastern HST:       Due w/c 6th June

R3270: Midland Mainline:  Due w/c 4th July

I do sometimes wonder how many of the new products being clamoured for literally have a train waiting in someone's holding sidings, unable to move because its loco, brake van or some other key constituent has exceeded the original delivery promise from China....

No progress at Greenfield since late November while awaiting a track laying crane and tamper..... :D

What about the Mk3s to go with them? Some time in 2015/16?

This has already proved a problem for me as a retailer this year (2014)

R4444A and R4446A (1st and TGS respectively) are both showing as due into Margate on w/c 6th June.

However, be warned, they have already sold through the production run of R4445A (2nd Class) and are not accepting any more orders from retailers for these coaches. It might be wise to reserve these coaches in advance as they will be on short supply. I have not been allocated any 2nds, so my order for the 1sts and TGS has been cancelled.

This has already proved a problem for me as a retailer this year (2014)

R4444A and R4446A (1st and TGS respectively) are both showing as due into Margate on w/c 6th June.

However, be warned, they have already sold through the production run of R4445A (2nd Class) and are not accepting any more orders from retailers for these coaches. It might be wise to reserve these coaches in advance as they will be on short supply. I have not been allocated any 2nds, so my order for the 1sts and TGS has been cancelled.

Aren't they doing a full set of differently-numbered coaches this time for the three sets (blue and grey, executive and Midland Mainline) recently announced?

• RMweb Premium

Emailed Hattons as to when one might expect a delivery of non DCC Knight of the Grand Cross.

Answer was Hornby have issued no delivery date!

Fantastic ! Not !

Beyond a bl##dy joke this is.....I knew I shoulda got one from Cheltenham Models before Xmas when I had the chance.... <grrrrr>

But where to go?  Bachmann Wainwright C - 4 months ago I was informed delivery end March beginning April.  Just before Christmas I get an update - end June beginning July.  So in 3 months it has slipped 3 months.

The world will not stop as a consequence of the delay.  I will continue modelling.  But just like Hornby, Bachmann have missed out on cash in their accounts 3 months earlier, that currently posted.

Aren't they doing a full set of differently-numbered coaches this time for the three sets (blue and grey, executive and Midland Mainline) recently announced?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the only other Blue/Grey Mark 3 2nd Class coaches are the ones fitted with internal lighting and which therefore carry a premium price.

This illuminated series also includes 1st Class versions, a TGS and Buffet car.

So I shall modify my previous statement slightly, and say that the unlit Mark 3 2nds in Blue/Grey livery (R4445A) are likely to be in very short supply.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the only other Blue/Grey Mark 3 2nd Class coaches are the ones fitted with internal lighting and which therefore carry a premium price.

This illuminated series also includes 1st Class versions, a TGS and Buffet car.

So I shall modify my previous statement slightly, and say that the unlit Mark 3 2nds in Blue/Grey livery (R4445A) are likely to be in very short supply.

R4445A is the Western Region standard class open coach in Blue/Grey (without lights).

This had already been released.  I sold one on ebay about two weeks ago.

R4444A is the Western Region first class open coach and R4446A is the Western Region TGS coach.

Both are in blue/grey (without lights) and neither have been released.

R4633/A, R4634/A/B/C, R4594 and R4595 are all the Eastern Region coaches (with lights).

R3138, Western HST:      Due w/c 30th June into Margate

R3269: Eastern HST:       Due w/c 6th June

R3270: Midland Mainline:  Due w/c 4th July

Blimey, I must have known, today I cancelled my order for R3138 (on order since summer 2012) with Rails of Sheffield, as Hornby keep putting back the delivery date whilst increasing the price and I have had enough. Instead I have ordered an East Coast HST set which Rails had on offer at £99 which I will re-body with old Lima power car bodies. Flush glazed and tidied up a bit these will look fine, alright it means a bit of work but I will have a smooth running blue and grey HST for a little over half the price!

Geoff.

Archived