Hattons Preowned

Theakerr

Don't think Hattons  are any worse than any others out there dealing with second hand - bought a few items recently and the description was accurate and for what I paid I was quite happy - you have to remember its just like any other shop whether it be online or on the High Street - if you don't like the prices walk on !

I don't know if things have changed recently, but most of the prices in Hattons' pre-owned section appear to compare quite reasonably with prices asked or realised on EBay for comparable items. The descriptions, though brief, appear to at least attempt a degree of honesty too.

Whilst modelers in the UK may well be able to find better value at swapmeets or through private sales, those of us overseas don't have those options. Our local s/h suppliers charge prices for broken 70s rubbish that will comfortably buy new Helbymann gear from the UK. For those of us working on a tight budget, there aren't many alternatives.

That said, I've only bought one item from Hattons' s/h stock and that remains sitting in its box until I can smuggle it past MrsB ;).

• Like 1

I have used the preowned and as usual from Hattons it has been great service. Like always only when there is something you really want you buy!

Some times the price is a above what you would accept others seem cheap but it keeps me looking each day.

The used stock pricing and descriptions have improved over the past year is my perception. And the 'don't show pre-owned' option is working competently now.

Worthwhile items turn up at reasonable prices, and you can search efficiently for only those things that are of real interest. It's a whole lot easier than raking through a pile of tat while bending over a table top in a poorly lit location, and finding nothing to justify tomorrow's backache.

• 9 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have sold about 3 lots of items to Hattons this year and have been very pleased with the service.

Very easy to send a list, offers received within a day or so (they offer slightly more if you use the money to buy something else rather than taking the cash), if you accept their offer they send a collect plus label. then pack up one box and drop off at local shop - job done

Regarding price, I looked at what items actually sold for on ebay as a comparison, then deducted the ebay and paypal fees, deducted postage and packaging costs, finally there would be a cost to travel to the post office and pay to park - perhaps multiple times!. The figure i got from Hattons was not a lot less than I would have actually made in reality from ebay. Taking into account the hassle of photographing and listing individual items on ebay, packing items, trips to the post office etc etc. I already have a severe lack of spare time

The only other recommendation would be to see what your local model shop would offer (if you have a local shop)

• RMweb Gold

I've bought several "pre-owned" items (including a couple of locos) from Hatton's in the past few months. In all cases, their condition met or exceeded what I expected from their descriptions.

A friend has been trading in some of his surplus American N stuff of late, taking at least some of the payments in goods.

Both of us are fully satisfied with the service.

No doubt there are ways of getting better prices, if one is willing to put in some effort. For those who can't spare the time or just don't wish to get involved with the logistics, Hatton's trading (in both directions) seems to be fair, transparent and efficient insofar as we have experienced it.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

I have purchased  several items  from  Hattons  pre owned  listings  only  1  had  a  problem ( A Bemo HOe diesel  which  was  Omni directional) so  back it  went  post  paid  by Hatotns  and  cost  refunded, 

I have  had a  couple of  surprises as  well  including  a ROCO  H0e Engarth 0-8-0 which  has  a typical S/H value of around £200 to £250  these  days  as it is currently out of production.  bought it  for  £175 it  was totally as  new al the  factory  wrapping  still intact,  but it  also  had Digital sound installed,  which  put  the   original price  at  around £350+ only a very limited number of  ROO H0e locos  have been sold Digital Sound on  board,  so  I was  quite pleased!

Never  sold  anything to  them, but  may  consider doing  so  or  at  least see what  they offer as  I  have  quite a few 00 SR items  to  sell, I use  ebay quite a lot  ( with my Stevesoller ID) and agree with previous comments  that  sometimes  it  does become  a  bit  of  a pain  listing, parcelling  up  goin to  the PO etc

• RMweb Gold

I have sold about 3 lots of items to Hattons this year and have been very pleased with the service.

Very easy to send a list, offers received within a day or so (they offer slightly more if you use the money to buy something else rather than taking the cash), if you accept their offer they send a collect plus label. then pack up one box and drop off at local shop - job done

Regarding price, I looked at what items actually sold for on ebay as a comparison, then deducted the ebay and paypal fees, deducted postage and packaging costs, finally there would be a cost to travel to the post office and pay to park - perhaps multiple times!. The figure i got from Hattons was not a lot less than I would have actually made in reality from ebay. Taking into account the hassle of photographing and listing individual items on ebay, packing items, trips to the post office etc etc. I already have a severe lack of spare time

The only other recommendation would be to see what your local model shop would offer (if you have a local shop)

I've just sent my second batch of stuff to them, having been happy with the amounts they have offered.

I've also considered the actual cost and time needed to sell privately (including EBay), and in overall terms, the considerable reduction in hassle does make the Hattons system look attractive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Either Hattons have listed all their LMS pre-owned loco stock or someone has just off loaded their LMS collection.

I counted 84 locos, http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/preowned.aspx 13th Sept. and 22 locos 12th Sept.

That sounds like a collection.  And it isn't the first time there has been a collection of items listed at the same time.  

Hattons second hand has gone beyond tat. The description 'like new' is self explanatory to anyone, so when i received a coach with glue finger prints all over the roof and down one side plus a great dolloping red light bulb glued on a large hole in the end of the coach, is that like new to you?  Cost to me? Return postage.

Another 'like new' model was a BR Standard Class 4 4-6-0. It arrived with the connecting rod broken off the crosshead. Not just snapped off but it was bent and so someone had had attempted to run it before it was dispatched to me. The cost to me was lost postage once again. 'Like new' isn't just a miss-description, it is a downright lie. Is this what we can expect these days from a high street retailer?

• RMweb Premium

I have bought a few second-hand items and found most to be almost indistinguishable from new.  The one exception had its only fault described on the website and that was sufficiently minor (loose glazing inside cab) that I felt it could be easily rectified.  It was.

But I too have heard from other sources off RMweb that some - and I stress some - of the "like new" items do indeed end up arriving like junk.  And some of the second-hand stock is visibly tat on the website and described as "Sold as seen".

However if an item is described as "Like new" and has as many faults as described above then surely Trading Standards should become involved?

But I too have heard from other sources off RMweb that some - and I stress some - of the "like new" items do indeed end up arriving like junk.  And some of the second-hand stock is visibly tat on the website and described as "Sold as seen".

However if an item is described as "Like new" and has as many faults as described above then surely Trading Standards should become involved?

I gave them an easy ride simply because of the reality of the situation. Hattons stock virtually everything under one roof and so are mighty convenient, plus they show a stock situation. Some places I won't mention have a funny way of dealing with customers and I had to wait over two weeks for one RTP item, which i suspect they did not actually have in stock! One box shifter advertise wares at low prices until you get down to ordering then it isn't in stock! But of course they hope that while you are on their website you will browse and see something else. At my age, I have seen all the tricks. To be safe, I only buy new items now.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have bought a few second-hand items and found most to be almost indistinguishable from new. 

Virtually everything I have sold to them in the last 12 months was virtually indistinguishable from new, because that's what it was.

I bought it, possibly had a quick look at it, then put it away, thinking I might one day actually use it. What a daft idea that was!

Anyway, the current round of sales to Hattons will finance the latest purchases of RTR goodies, which will, in turn, probably get sold on in a few years in 'new/mint' condition, allowing me to purchase a new banana.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having been off-line for a week I have just come back and now Hattons pre-owned section has virtually nothing for sale - just the odd coach and wagon.  Is anyone out there still seeing loads of stuff ie dozens of locos per day etc?

Think its a website issue, it was all there Friday morning then later on it appeared as you described.

Simon

Having been off-line for a week I have just come back and now Hattons pre-owned section has virtually nothing for sale - just the odd coach and wagon.  Is anyone out there still seeing loads of stuff ie dozens of locos per day etc?

There is a comment elsewhere from someone at Hattons about this- the second-hand stock is 'off-line' for a couple of days for stock-taking purposes.

I'm glad someone else spotted it, I thought I was going mad when I checked into their "pre-loved" section and saw virtual tumbleweed echoing through the site.  I'd got a couple of things bookmarked in my "wishlist" for the end of the month and they had disappeared too.

Hopefully normal service will be resumed soon.