ARC Models; New range of 4mm scale products

ARCModels

The Barclay fits on a Hornby Pug chassis. High Level do a conversion kit for this chassis so I'm going to buy one of the ARC kits and see whether it fits on the High Level chassis (which I already have). Don't expect a report in the near future, I've got a lot of other items in the queue first!

Phil

IIRC the High Level kit does not include cylinders and slidebars.

Gordon A

Bristol

IIRC the High Level kit does not include cylinders and slidebars.

Gordon A

Bristol

You're correct, Gordon, but if one has a Hornby Pug (and you're going to use the chassis to motorise the ARC body, the sourcing of  cylinders etc. resolves itself if you want to try the High Level chassis.

The question then arises "is it worth the price of two chassis for just one loco?". To me, the answer is Yes, as the High Level chassis makes a far better running chassis than the Hornby one ever will, whatever you do to it and whoever does it, and to me, quality of running is as important as the looks, and personally I think even more important!

As I've said before on this thread, and I'm happy to repeat myself, I can't help but think that the proprietor of ARC has missed a trick by not having the option of a decent chassis under his locos that appeals to those who want an EM or P4 version, and perhaps this is why he's having to try and find external funding for his kits.

Phil

With the completion of stage one of my upcoming kit, the RS&H 0-6-0t, I am pleased to announce my next kit, the Bagnall 16" 0-6-0st

This kit will also use the Electrotren 0-6-0st chassis and will feature an easy to build structure and will be in 'as built' condition, with Bagall chimney and other fittings

I am hoping to have the post-war variant and round topped saddle tank variants available also.

post-20366-0-75850200-1420829832_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I am pleased to inform you that I can now take pre-orders for the upcoming RS&H, this has been priced at £35 (non ebay price)

Kit concludes;

Main body

Cab rear spectacle plate

Cab roof

Brake column

Chimney

2 small footsteps

2 large footsteps

4 sprung buffers

Instruction manual

This kit is designed to fit onto the Electrotren 0-6-0t chassis, but can also fit onto the Electrotren 0-6-0st chassis (ballast essential) and has an easy to build design feature.

To make your pre-order, please email me at arcmodels@fsmail.net

Thank you.

I received one of the 14" Barclays today as a gift - absolutely lovely looking kit of a locomotive I have always had a soft spot for. I'm very happy with it. However, I'm having trouble building it, as I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to do with the motor. I apologise in advance if what follows is a stupid question, but I'm completely new to kit bashing/building and such. 

Could someone explain to me exactly where I am supposed to cut the wires, and how/where I re-attach them?

Similarly, I'd like to avoid soldering if possible - so how exactly do I "bind the wires together"? (quoting the instructions) Is this just a simple case of using tape to connect the cut wires back together? 

Like I said, sorry if this is all stupidly simple, but I have absolutely no experience of working on motorised models. 

Cheers.  (If you'd prefer to PM the answer to avoid cluttering the thread please do) 

Edited by RayEllis

Assume you mean the RS&H 0-6-0T, Kernow are showing the Electrotren Sharp Stewart in stock. I can't paste links on this PC (browser issues) but it's under H0 Gauge- Electrotren- Steam Locomotives. I'm sure it (and possibly the side tank as well) are available elsewhere too.   

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Its been much longer than expected, but the first samples of the RS&H 0-6-0t kit have finally arrived and here are the first images of the kit in unpainted assembled form complete with the Electrotren chassis (however, without the sprung buffers, but these will still be supplied in the kit).

If you wish to place an order for this kit, please contact me at arcmodels@fsmail.net and request a pre-order form.

post-20366-0-16833200-1429305449_thumb.jpg

post-20366-0-82469500-1429305460_thumb.jpg

post-20366-0-36578600-1429305558_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic news! The first batch of the new RS&H 0-6-0t have now arrived, those who have already placed their order should expect theirs soon.

However, there are still model available, so to make an order, please either contact me at arcmodels@fsmail.net and request an order form, or type in 'resin locomotive body kit' in the browser on ebay (please note: due to ebay fees, prices will be higher than if purchased direct from me).

Thank you.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My RSH tank arrived last Friday,

post-6861-0-65409100-1430938369.jpg

and I'm very impressed with it. Cleanly cast with well fitting parts it should go together readily enough.

Though it's designed for an RTR chassis I intend to build my own, I just need to get some data and measurements.

If anybody has any information it would be very useful.

Ah, sorry, the prototype chassis.

The wheelbase, the front and rear buffer beam to axle distances and wheel diameter are the minimum I need to know, the position and outside dimensions of the cylinders would be useful too. I could probably estimate from photographs but the actual dimensions would be the best.

Mine arrived Friday / Saturday.

Assembled Monday evening, about 4 hours work.

Good quality castings with very little flash, easily scraped off.

Handrail knobs / wire, safety valves, whistle, and smokebox dart are required..

the dart's the handwheel type, though as a BR(NE) modeler I had a surplus supply of these from previous kits.

(just mentioning so builders can be prepared).

The only minor snag, although the instructions say to re-use the original body fixing screws when fitting the chassis,

a slightly longer (8BA) one will be required for the rear fixing, though could be because I used the Electrotren 0-6-0ST chassis, don't know if the recomended 0-6-0T chassis' different.

Although if that's the biggest snag, there's not much wrong!!

Painted Tuesday, ran on club test track Wednesday, and general comments there that it's a nice model - from those that know more about industrials

Ah, sorry, the prototype chassis.

The wheelbase, the front and rear buffer beam to axle distances and wheel diameter are the minimum I need to know, the position and outside dimensions of the cylinders would be useful too. I could probably estimate from photographs but the actual dimensions would be the best.

I'm not sure but I think some of the dimensions may have been adjusted to suit the RTR chassis so the prototype dimensions may not necessarily be appropriate (can't find any published drawing in my list btw). Adam would be the right guy to ask.

Edit for spelling mistake and to add that I have some photos of a preserved example taken at at Foxfield in 2002. The wheels look to be about 3ft 6in (buffer centre height) or just under. Will post the photos when I can re-size them.

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

Yes, I believe that you may be right on the model being adjusted to fit the RTR chassis but I'd rather start with the accurate dimensions and work from there. I can build a chassis with the correct axle spacings and relative positions and adjust the overall chassis length to fit.

I'll ask the question on an open thread and see what comes up.

Arthur, and any one else who is interested.

The following dimensions were taken off RSH 7151 (Ex Hams Hall power station No 9) at the Avon Valley Railway.

Front and rear buffer beams are 1.25" thick.

Wheel diameter is currently 42.75". The centre drivers are flangeless.

Inside rear buffer beam to centre of trailing axle       93"

Trailing axle to centre driven axle                              72"

Centre driven axle to centre front axle                      72"

Centre front axle to inside front buffer beam            87"

Cylinders are 24" diameter measured across the outside casing.

Slide bars top and bottom are 4.75" wide by 2.75" deep.

I hope the above is of some use.

Gordon A

Bristol                   

• Like 1

That certainly is of some use Gordon, exactly what I need. Thank you very much indeed for taking the time and trouble.

I'll post a build thread when I make a start, probably towards the end of May.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Is this for the RSH 0-6-0T?

If you want to use a RTR chassis you might as well use the Electrotren chassis for which the body is designed, it has the outside cylinders too. I'm not sure that the 64XX chassis would fit. The body is considerably shortened to fit it the Electrotren chassis, though it's been cleverly done to maintain the right proportions.

I've started the process of building a chassis from scratch and have had to reduce the wheelbases from the prototypical 24mm + 24mm, as per Gordon's measurements above, to 21mm + 21mm, again in order to maintain the right 'look'. The 64XX scales down to around 29mm + 29mm, it would look very odd even if it fitted.

Anyone else had problems with the electrotren chassis?

At my recent test session on our club test track, my RSH with 6 wagons managed just one lap before grinding to a halt and the motor going up in smoke.

(My J73 of Arthur's - OO gauge, rigid chassis, and unweighted - comfortably managed all 24 wagons I had with me! )

(more posted on Wright Writes about this model)

Anyone else had problems with the electrotren chassis?

At my recent test session on our club test track, my RSH with 6 wagons managed just one lap before grinding to a halt and the motor going up in smoke.

(My J73 of Arthur's - OO gauge, rigid chassis, and unweighted - comfortably managed all 24 wagons I had with me! )

(more posted on Wright Writes about this model)

I have. Last week I test fitted the RSH body to the saddle tank chassis and took it for a test run round the club's Duffield layout. It was a bit 'lumpy' to start with so I turned the wick up a bit to see if it would run in. NOPE. After two or three circuits it decided to stop for a smoke! To start with, the motor wouldn't turn more than a few degrees but eventually it freed up and ran again but not very well. Seemed to work OK on my dc supply at home. Took it to the club again last night - without the body on, it stopped after about ten feet with smoke issuing from the PCB with the chip 'socket' (blank fitted) looking distressed. Although the motor would turn by hand, it wouldn't under power so I am thinking of re-wiring to bypass the PCB.

Also tried one of the Jouef 0-6-0Ts last night and that pottered round for more than an hour without any apparent problem.