ARC Models; New range of 4mm scale products

ARCModels

Interesting choice Adam, I would certainly be interested in one of those.

I guess that you have suitable drawings, would you be able to make copies of them available to purchasers of the kit? I ask because I would be looking to scratch build a chassis to fit under the resin body.

Yessss!!!!!!!! One of the 0-6-0 designs off my list! :yahoo:  As I have always wanted to recreate a loco which is close to home, but have not the courage or skill to modify or build my own. Will the kit have a curved bunker? So I would be able to create the RSH on the Avon Valley Railway! Would be amazing if you could create a kit for the same chassis of RSH 0-6-0st 'Moorbarrow'  in the future. She is top of my list as I was very lucky to get to driver for a day on the East Somerset Railway for my 18th! That would be a dream come true! :locomotive:

Yessss!!!!!!!! One of the 0-6-0 designs off my list! :yahoo:  As I have always wanted to recreate a loco which is close to home, but have not the courage or skill to modify or build my own. Will the kit have a curved bunker? So I would be able to create the RSH on the Avon Valley Railway! Would be amazing if you could create a kit for the same chassis of RSH 0-6-0st 'Moorbarrow'  in the future. She is top of my list as I was very lucky to get to driver for a day on the East Somerset Railway for my 18th! That would be a dream come true! :locomotive:

I am glad to have made some one happy

The first kit will have the straight back tender, as the image shows, but in the future variations will occure.

As for 'Moorbarrow', the chassis required would be the Hornby Electrotren 0-6-0st chassis, which makes sense as the ballast weight is inside the saddletank and not on either side of the motor which the 0-6-0t chassis has.

• Like 1

Interesting choice Adam, I would certainly be interested in one of those.

I guess that you have suitable drawings, would you be able to make copies of them available to purchasers of the kit? I ask because I would be looking to scratch build a chassis to fit under the resin body.

I am afraid that I have not located any drawings for this prototype, I simply use the age old method of taking the wheel diameter and using that as a guide for measurements, the wheel spacing I have not taken into consideration as this is a R-T-R chassis and so there was no need

But, I can say the Hornby Electrotren chassis has remarkably similar wheel spacing and at any viewing angle appears correct or near to, that is why I chose this prototype for use with this chassis

Thanks for that Adam, nothing against the Electrotren chassis other than the wheels seem to have quite deep flanges. I'll see if can find a drawing. What diameter are the wheels? That will be a start.

I am glad to have made some one happy

The first kit will have the straight back tender, as the image shows, but in the future variations will occure.

As for 'Moorbarrow', the chassis required would be the Hornby Electrotren 0-6-0st chassis, which makes sense as the ballast weight is inside the saddletank and not on either side of the motor which the 0-6-0t chassis has.

That's what I was thinking, I have both verities of chassis, so that's not a problem. Looking forward to see your first version of the RSH 0-6-0t!

Thanks for that Adam, nothing against the Electrotren chassis other than the wheels seem to have quite deep flanges. I'll see if can find a drawing. What diameter are the wheels? That will be a start.

The diameter of the wheels, presuming for the donor model chassis, is 14mm which equates to a scale 3'4"

The 18" RS&H 0-6-0t has 3'8", so not too much difference, but I am not sure if some members of the same type had slightly smaller wheels of 3'6", but in 4mm scale this would be barely perceptible.

Hi Adam,

Just been down to the Post Office in town to get my parcel as I missed the postie by about 5 minutes yesterday. Having a quick look at the castings and instructions, I can't see what glue you recommend although I am assuming superglue at the moment. Also now wondering if I have the correct donor for Bonnie Prince Charlie as you refer to the Bachmann H0 Percy. Is that the same as the Bachmann Junior 0-4-0ST (liveried as 'GREG' or GWR 311) which is the British equivalent of Percy but with a smokebox door instead of a face?

The diameter of the wheels, presuming for the donor model chassis, is 14mm which equates to a scale 3'4"

The 18" RS&H 0-6-0t has 3'8", so not too much difference, but I am not sure if some members of the same type had slightly smaller wheels of 3'6", but in 4mm scale this would be barely perceptible.

14mm is 3' 6'' in 4mm scale I believe, which may help some people

Paul A.

Hi Adam,

Just been down to the Post Office in town to get my parcel as I missed the postie by about 5 minutes yesterday. Having a quick look at the castings and instructions, I can't see what glue you recommend although I am assuming superglue at the moment. Also now wondering if I have the correct donor for Bonnie Prince Charlie as you refer to the Bachmann H0 Percy. Is that the same as the Bachmann Junior 0-4-0ST (liveried as 'GREG' or GWR 311) which is the British equivalent of Percy but with a smokebox door instead of a face?

Yes, all my kits require just superglue to assemble

Regarding the Bonnie Prince Charlie kit, I recommend using the Bachmann H0 Percy chassis as the Bachmann Junior 'Greg' comes with an extra chip, which is for DCC running and I am concerned that there may not be enough room for both these chips, however, using this Junior chassis may be a little simpler as the eye-mechanism housing should not be filled with gears, thus making the removal less hampered

RSH 7151 located at the Avon Valley Railway was No 9 at Hams Hall Power Station, Birmingham, which was part of the Central Electricity Generating Board.

At a quick glance 7151 has different side tanks and the cutout in the cab sides are different.

Gordon A

Bristol

As a comparison here are three pictures of RSH 7141 built 1944.

post-7071-0-23321600-1395590442_thumb.jpg

A nice shot of Andy, but the picture shows the rounded style of cab cut out.

post-7071-0-50244200-1395590457_thumb.jpg

A front three quarter view from the drivers side

post-7071-0-12263300-1395590483_thumb.jpg

And finally a rear three quarter view, showing the curved bunker.

This is an early build of this type of RSH hence the detail differences.

I think the cut out in the cab back sheet is an AVR mod.

Gordon A

Bristol

• Like 2

I'm really tempted by this series of locos, I've always fancied a small industrial layout, space being at a premium.

I can't remember ever seeing any drawings of industrial locos in the model railway press - are there any sources?

Also what filler do you use in your resin, or, to put it another way, would I have to invest in tungsten carbide cutting tools?

Regards

I'm really tempted by this series of locos, I've always fancied a small industrial layout, space being at a premium.

I can't remember ever seeing any drawings of industrial locos in the model railway press - are there any sources?

Also what filler do you use in your resin, or, to put it another way, would I have to invest in tungsten carbide cutting tools?

Regards

Occasionally Railway Modeller magazine does a feature on industrial locomotives, which also features a scale drawing, however, if no drawings of a prototype are available I gather as many dimensions available, even visiting and measuring a loco.

As for the production of my kits, you must understand that I am a little reticent in revealing the 'trade secret', but I can say that nearly every model has so far had to be taken with a different approach, yes, occasionally using tungsten cutting tools.

Regards.

I would also be very interested in your kits. My big concern, however, is that I demand top quality slow running, and I'm an EM modeller. To get good slow running I use high ratio gearboxes such as the High Level Loadhauler Compact+ at 108:1, and the only way I see of being able to get this sort of drive train in a loco is by building the chassis myself.

If you were to investigate the production of scale chassis as well as the Bachmann Percy chassis etc., I suspect your market place would become far wider.Of course, I could be wrong - it has been known!  :no:

Phil

• Like 1

I would also be very interested in your kits. My big concern, however, is that I demand top quality slow running, and I'm an EM modeller. To get good slow running I use high ratio gearboxes such as the High Level Loadhauler Compact+ at 108:1, and the only way I see of being able to get this sort of drive train in a loco is by building the chassis myself.

If you were to investigate the production of scale chassis as well as the Bachmann Percy chassis etc., I suspect your market place would become far wider.Of course, I could be wrong - it has been known!  :no:

Phil

Hello Phil,

It is an idea to create chassis for my kits, but this does defeat the two object of these kits, to produce low cost body kits designed to fit onto R-T-R chassis and create a useful prototype

And, to produce kit which are less difficult and more enjoyable to make and can therefore appeal to those just starting out

I remember one of my first kits was a DJH SNCF 240P, I managed to produce  a good model, but what a headache, I simply consider, by direct experience, that etched brass kits are for the more experienced modeller, after all, a soldering iron is mostly needed with whitemetal and brass kits whilst resin need only super glue.

But, anyway, thank you for your advice, but over time, I may consider producing my own chassis, but for the time being I'll stick with resin body kits

Kind regards

Occasionally Railway Modeller magazine does a feature on industrial locomotives, which also features a scale drawing, however, if no drawings of a prototype are available I gather as many dimensions available, even visiting and measuring a loco.

As for the production of my kits, you must understand that I am a little reticent in revealing the 'trade secret', but I can say that nearly every model has so far had to be taken with a different approach, yes, occasionally using tungsten cutting tools.

Regards.

Mmm ... perhaps I'll pass.

Sorry

Attention!

I would like to inform all of you that I am now in the process of a house move, services may be disrupted, but I aim to send out all orders within a week of payment

So please, do not feel discouraged, it just might keep me going, ha!

Following on from my last post, I will have to add that any orders I would prefer to be mail orders, so if anyone is interested in purchasing any kits for the duration of this period, please send a SSAE to the following address;

For the latest listings and order form

Thank you,

Adam of ARC Models

Edited by ARCModels