ARC Models; New range of 4mm scale products

ARCModels

No connection to ARC Models, David, but I don't understand what specifically it is that's putting you off?

Lack of drawings and ARC's unwillingness to offer info on such when he must have the data in order to produce the kits. Also if the kits require tungsten carbide tools (drills, files etc) these cost money and I've already invested substantial amounts in HSS tools and don't want to spend more.

These kits are attractive, but from a potential customer's point of view more is required and 'commercial confidentiality' isn't a good enough response.

Regards

Edited by PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Premium

Also if the kits require tungsten carbide tools

Where on earth have you got that from? The kits are made of resin, not the hardest material to work with.

David,

I think you will find that the use of tungsten carbide tools refers to making the masters, and are not required for the finished product.

I have never heard of any resin kits needing tungsten carbide tools to complete or modify.

Gordon A

Bristol

Where on earth have you got that from? The kits are made of resin, not the hardest material to work with.

Depends on the filler, some resins use glass. The glass makes the material stiffer, less prone to distortion. If so then you need tungsten carbide cutting tools.

It's disappointing that ARC isn't more forthcoming, all that is needed is an assurance re material and a source for the drawings.

Regards

ARC has answered your questions r.e. drawings previously in this thread, i.e. he's used what's available, and where not has made reasonable assumptions based on known dimensions, and the inevitable compromises of making kits to suit RTR chassis. Fundamentally the models are representations, not accurate scale models. If that isn't acceptable to you then fine, by all means take your wallet elsewhere (but it'll need to be a lot fatter than the sub £30 these kits are selling for...), instead of indulging in a rather unnecessarily agressive line of questioning. It rather appears as if you have a bit of an agenda, because the models don't fit your demanding criteria (you wouldn't be the only one on this forum to have such an agenda, but most stick to flinging rotten fruit at the major RTR manufacturers and leave the "cottage industry" manufacturers to it).

For the record- no connection to ARC whatsoever, I haven't even seen a kit "in the resin", but had these been available when I was a teenager dabbling in small space industrial 00 some 10 years ago, attempting to bash plasticard into something vaguely representative of a industrial saddletank, I'd have been a very happy space, money and skill impoverished modeller indeed.

Edited by brianthesnail96

Depends on the filler, some resins use glass. The glass makes the material stiffer, less prone to distortion. If so then you need tungsten carbide cutting tools.

It's disappointing that ARC isn't more forthcoming, all that is needed is an assurance re material and a source for the drawings.

Regards

I've built the Iornside kit out of the ARC range, and cutting the material was like putting a hot knife in butter. Exactly the same as working with Deansidings range of kits and many others.

ARC has answered your questions r.e. drawings previously in this thread, i.e. he's used what's available, and where not has made reasonable assumptions based on known dimensions, and the inevitable compromises of making kits to suit RTR chassis. Fundamentally the models are representations, not accurate scale models. If that isn't acceptable to you then fine, by all means take your wallet elsewhere (but it'll need to be a lot fatter than the sub £30 these kits are selling for...), instead of indulging in a rather unnecessarily agressive line of questioning. It rather appears as if you have a bit of an agenda, because the models don't fit your demanding criteria (you wouldn't be the only one on this forum to have such an agenda, but most stick to flinging rotten fruit at the major RTR manufacturers and leave the "cottage industry" manufacturers to it).

For the record- no connection to ARC whatsoever, I haven't even seen a kit "in the resin", but had these been available when I was a teenager dabbling in small space industrial 00 some 10 years ago, attempting to bash plasticard into something vaguely representative of a industrial saddletank, I'd have been a very happy space, money and skill impoverished modeller indeed.

The modeller needs drawings in order to complete a kit and the start is always a pointer to a source. I don't accept that I have 'demanding criteria' or I was 'flinging rotten fruit', all I wanted was a source for drawings and an assurance that I didn't need tungsten carbide cutting tools.

Now I have the assurance that I don't need tungsten carbide tools and I can assume that the drawing sources don't exist. Good, but it's been like drawing teeth. Unfortunately it's also become clear that 'Fundamentally the models are representations, not accurate scale models'. I think I'll leave it there.

Regards

I have a list going back almost 50 years of drawings which have appeared in modelling magazines. Neither Bonnie Prince Charlie nor any Barclay 0-4-0ST appear on that list. So, without published drawings, I assume, as has been said before, that Adam is using best guesses and photographs to work from to fit RTR chassis. I for one will be quite happy to build my Barclay and have something different to a Lanky Pug (which I have found to run very well) and to have a body transplant for the Bachmann Junior 0-4-0 chassis.

• RMweb Premium

The modeller needs drawings in order to complete a kit and the start is always a pointer to a source. I don't accept that I have 'demanding criteria' or I was 'flinging rotten fruit', all I wanted was a source for drawings and an assurance that I didn't need tungsten carbide cutting tools.

Now I have the assurance that I don't need tungsten carbide tools and I can assume that the drawing sources don't exist. Good, but it's been like drawing teeth. Unfortunately it's also become clear that 'Fundamentally the models are representations, not accurate scale models'. I think I'll leave it there.

Regards

HI David

I have a Barclay 14 inch waiting to be placed on a Pug chassis. At £20 it is a wonderful little kit. I am looking forward to a day when I can sit down and make it without being asked "Canewe just do........"

There is always Judith Edge Kits http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/catalogue/judithedge they might meet your needs.

• RMweb Premium

I have been thinking about a thread regarding the demise of kit building, someone suggested that body line kits like Kays use to do might be a way to restart the kit manufacturing and in turn making process.....This is what Adam appears to be doing. So there might be a compromise here or there but for their price I don't think you can go wrong.

I just re-visited this blog and think that there has a lot of unnecessary debate over the technicalities of these kits.

For those not familiar with this type of kit and hesitating to take the plunge, basically they are cast in silicone rubber moulds using polyurethane resin which is a versatile material that has been used by many manufacturers of kits and components for some years now. This type of resin medium does not contain a filler and is reasonably rigid, but quite soft and very easy to work with basic tools such as swiss files and fine grade wet and dry paper and can be assembled satisfactorily with super glue. Therefore no hardened tipped tools or similar are required to clean up or prepare the parts.

I have obtained three of the kits and am quite pleased with the quality. There are a few blemishes, but these can be easily remedied with a fine filler such as Perfect Plastic Putty by Deluxe Materials. Ironside and Bonny Prince Charlie are basic kits with a relatively small number of parts and details such as handrails are moulded on, but these can be filed off by those who would like greater detail and replaced by handrail knobs and wire. The Barclay's are slightly more developed with more separate parts and have indents for drilling holes for handrail knobs, the smoke box dart, etc. For those wanting detailing parts there are quite a number available from 'Mainly Trains.'

I have just obtained two of the Bachmann HO Percy locos, and have been pulling them apart. The basic body kits are designed to go on this chassis and from what I can see the proportions look right. These chassis are a bit chunky and obviously not designed to be a super-detailed model, but provide a robust working base for the body. Once again there is scope for improvement such as after giving the solid footplate moulding a good clean up to remove all unnecessary mouldings, a good coat of matt black paint on the underside would make a simple and immediate improvement. The wheels are very nice with quite a fine flange profile and are chemically blackened, but the coupling rods, slide bars and motion brackets are rather heavy and the tapered connecting rods definitely wrong. Unfortunately the cranks pins used are rather massive and not easy to replace.  I am now therefore looking at stripping the motion down and filing the rods to a more acceptable thickness and profile which should improve the appearance.

The Barclay's go on the L & Y Pug chassis which is a nice ready to run unit. If you are happy with this good enough, but if you want a little improvement, the disc type wheels appear to be specific to this particular loco and after removing the covers over the slide bars there are small tabs visible which are there to hold the covers on. The latter could be filed off and it may be possible to replace the wheels with proper Barclay ones which are available in several sizes from 'Markits.' However, I believe that this ex-Dapol loco, (and the Terrier and J94), have a non-standard axle size of 2.5 ml, so some adaptation may be required to accommodate the axles and gears.

These are just a few observations, but I hope that they might help to answer a few queries and inspire a few more potential purchasers to take the plunge, invest in some interesting kits and do a little upgrading.

I have no interest in any of the afore-mentioned manufacturers other than as a satisfied customer.

By the way, Bonny Prince Charlie is preserved at Didcot and there are a number of photographs on the internet which would prove useful.

Further to yesterdays post. Just bought a copy of S.C. Townroe's Journey in Steam from Noodle Books.

Page 114 has a nice colour view including Ironside at Eastleigh awaiting scrapping. Good front offside three quarter showing footplate, chassis and buffer-beam details, plus inclined cylinders and a pipe running along the top of the tank. Potential for some improvement work.

I also saw the Bachmann HO Bill/Ben loco last week. This has a shorter wheelbase chassis with smaller wheels and might suit Ironside better than Percy. However, the coupling rods are gross, and the connecting rods cranked to avoid the cross-heads. Food for thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news!

Here are the first tantalising images of me next kit;

Barclay 14" 0-4-0st with post-war cab

This kit is designed to fit onto the Dapol and Hornby L&YR 'Pug' chassis

I am hoping to have this kit on sale at the end of spring/early summer

Thank you,

Adam.

post-20366-0-55965900-1398687843_thumb.jpg

post-20366-0-31557100-1398687854_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

During the ensuing months since the establishment of my business, and through greater understanding of my customers, I have therefore decided to allow for pre-orders to be made at a more advanced date to availability than previously.

Therefore, I can now accept pre-orders for the latest model kit, the Andrew Barclay 14" 0-4-0st with post-war cab.

Please contact me via email at arcmodels@fsmail.net for the latest listings and pre-order form, cheques are preferable but Paypal is also accepted.

Kind regards,

Adam.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Good news!

Earlier than expected, both of the following models are now availabe;

Barclay 14" 0-4-0st with post-war cab

Barclay 14"0-4-0st with pre-war cab (optional open & enclosed cab rear)

please contact me ar arcmodels@fsmail.net to request an order form

Those who have made a pre-order should receive their model by next week

• 4 weeks later...

Hi only just noticed your RSH 0-6-0 design is there any update on this? Got a spare Electrotren lurking about & been looking for something to put on it :P

Thanks

Adam

Hello Adam,

The RS&H 0-6-0t is still in the first development stage, but without too much delayI am hoping that this will be completed by the end of the month.

As such, I cannot confirm a release date.

Regards,

Adam

• Like 1

Hello Adam,

The RS&H 0-6-0t is still in the first development stage, but without too much delayI am hoping that this will be completed by the end of the month.

As such, I cannot confirm a release date.

Regards,

Adam

That's great news :D look forward to the pre-order announcement, Until then I will wait patiently ^.^

Thanks

Adam

I'm really tempted by this series of locos, I've always fancied a small industrial layout, space being at a premium.

I can't remember ever seeing any drawings of industrial locos in the model railway press - are there any sources?

Also what filler do you use in your resin, or, to put it another way, would I have to invest in tungsten carbide cutting tools?

Regards

There was a run of industrial loco drawings in the Railway Modeller between 1973-1977 IIRC

Hello,

I have two announcements to make, firstly, the No.0458 Ironside 0-4-0st kit will be discontinued once the current batch (4 remaining at time of writing) have been sold, pending reintroduction if sufficient interest is shown.

Secondly, due to lack of interest, the GWR 3150 class 2-6-2t will not be proceeded with.

Thank you,

Adam.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just purchased the pre-war Andrew Barclay 14" kit and it seems to be good value for quite frankly not very much money at all. Yes, it's quite basic but I much prefer to work up a kit without having to remove lots of inaccurate detail (an analogy from cooking, it's always easier to add more salt or sugar than to try to remove too much of it...). Moreover, the separate cab sides mean that backdating it to a pre-WW1 example should be pretty easy. 

Edited by CKPR

• 1 month later...

Thank you Mikkel, There will be a special feature in the upcoming Model Rail magazine, issue 200, whereby George Dent will demonstrate how to construct the Barclay kit. And in issue 202 George will complete the kit with his spectacular painting skills. I was very excited and thrilled when I was first approached for these features and still am, as shown by the link kindly supplied by Milkkel, we are able to see how great a job George is doing, thank you Model Rail team.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I came across this thread after seeing the ModelRail article, the kit featured looks like it makes up into a nice little model... completely useless to me though, any plans for an industrial diesel at some point?