Magwatch : Hornby Magazine #32 :February 2010

spamcan61

• RMweb Premium

Contents as follows:-

Update : 9 pages : recent news, Hornby 2010 releases inc. pre-production pics. Of Hawksworths.

Romley Midland : 8 pages: Richard Proudman describes his 50s/60s OO Midland / Eastern region layout.

Lineside Plot : 4 pages : James Lavery shows how to model allotments.

Soldering Metal : 4 pages : Phil Parker shows how to solder.

Layout of the year 2009 : 8 pages of photos of layouts featured in 2009.

2 pages letters

4 pages feature on Kernow Model Rail Centre

Flockborough : 8 pages : Phil Parker describes the 3mm finescale model of a Scottish seaside resort he built with his father.

BR Liveries ??“ Blue to Sectorisation : 4 pages : Summary by Evan Green-Hughes

A Scalescenes low relief block of flats to cut out and build.

Reviews : 17 pages : Hornby Castle ( including 2 pages on prototype), City of Truro and Bachmann N gauge class24 feature heavily.

New Haden Colliery : 8 pages : Andy Banks describes the Stafford Railway Circle??™s 50s/60s EM gauge layout.

Basic Electrics : 2 pages : Ian Morton points out the pros and cons of the spawn of satan known as high frequency track cleaners.

Signalling The Way : 4 pages : Evan Green-Hughes looks at the variety of signalboxes used on the railways.

That??™s about all folks.

Mike's made it VERY difficult to vote in the individual's category for layout of the year 2009. Hmmmm, Catcott Burtle, Iron Mould Lane, Hendre Lane, Fisherton Sarum etc etc

Just goes to show what a good year for layouts 2009 was in HM :D

Indeed. Iron Mould Lane is a stunning layout. I must have spent a good half hour or so watching it at MRS a few years back. Lovely operations, lovely detail and a throughly nice owner who clearly took great pleasure in entertaining the kids who were gathered round it.

Unfortunately Overlord on it's own gives it a run for it's money, let alone the other dozen layouts.

A 4 page summary could be useful if it's good. Is it?

Answer: Not really. It's actually 2 pages of text (the rest being photographs and those are not paticularly special).

But overall it's a good issue. Interesting reviews. It's going to be very hard to judge the layouts.

The low relief flats look good.

Glad I bought it.

pp58-59 photo spread, spot the schoolboy error with Flockborough traction. Now I'm in no position to criticise, having never finished a layout to such a standard, moreover in TT gauge, but I do know my Cornwall from my Borders.....

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget to vote in the layout of the year competition that can be carried out online here

Not quite sure how the Pendon Layouts can be classed as club layouts but still. The Individual section is a toughy this year and demonstrates the standard of layouts so go on have a vote

*cough Fisherton Sarum cough*

:rolleyes:

pp58-59 photo spread, spot the schoolboy error with Flockborough traction. Now I'm in no position to criticise, having never finished a layout to such a standard, moreover in TT gauge, but I do know my Cornwall from my Borders.....

I know Cornwall from the borders too - that diesel exists because I had built the power bogie for the railcar and then decided it looked wrong. So I needed to find a suitable model to use it in. The range of kits in 3mm scale (14.2 gauge by the way not TT which is 12mm) is a bit limited. The front is about right for that end of the country, even if the sides aren't !

To be honest I adopt a simple strategy for my 3mm stock - if I can build it, it will stay on the track and work when required, they it's good enough for my train set ! Strict prototype fidelity can come in time for the next layout...

Phil

Archived