Soliciting Feedback

It has come to my attention that a trader has attempted to solicit positive feedback through RMweb offering previous customers a 10% discount on their next order if they mention the business in a positive light on RMweb and provide a link to their post.

I have written to the trader concerned to request that they desist such solicitation; if I have any suspicion that such feedback is given it will be removed. I would ask that no member does carry out such a practice as it devalues the honesty of freely given unsolicited feedback given by the members of the community. If a business provides good service obviously we're more than happy to hear but customers should not be incentivised to do so.

I was very disappointed indeed with the trader concerned when I saw what Andy refers to not long ago.

As for not soliciting, I am always amused when I see this phone box, just behind John Lewis on Oxford Street in London:

post-9664-0-80609100-1382624992.jpg

I wonder how many people with cards read the notice and decided that, it being a conservation area, they would miss that 'phone box out after all?

So the only feedback is that approved through a BRM review? ;)

I'm probably the only one here to believe in the "freedom" of forums where any such practise soon gets found out and exposed for what it is by the general (not admin) membership. Ultimately getting both the supplier and the member posting the product into a very bad place in terms of publicity.

We have, over the years, had several suppliers damned publicly in topics, usually for poor service but also poor product. Sometime justified, often not - or are specific to a select set of customers.

I don't see anything legally wrong with this type of service offer - though like many things it is morally suspect - and of course it is right that BRM should approve advertising (for that is what it is) on their site ... isn't it.

BTW I haven't a clue who the culprit is and respect BRM's position as owner to control site use - even if it is contrary to the way I'd deal with it.

• RMweb Gold

Andy Y said "If a business provides good service obviously we're more than happy to hear but customers should not be incentivised to do so." If you or I receive meritorious service, we are free to report it here as we always have been.

I'm probably the only one here to believe in the "freedom" of forums where any such practise soon gets found out and exposed for what it is by the general (not admin) membership. Ultimately getting both the supplier and the member posting the product into a very bad place in terms of publicity.

We have, over the years, had several suppliers damned publicly in topics, usually for poor service but also poor product. Sometime justified, often not - or are specific to a select set of customers.

I don't see anything legally wrong with this type of service offer - though like many things it is morally suspect - and of course it is right that BRM should approve advertising (for that is what it is) on their site ... isn't it.

BTW I haven't a clue who the culprit is and respect BRM's position as owner to control site use - even if it is contrary to the way I'd deal with it.

I'm trying to protect that freedom of honest reporting by the membership and not have it distorted by incentives. Once I was aware of the 'offer' if I chose to do nothing I'd be doing the general readers a disservice; would you know that feedback was genuine or just someone who wanted to save a small amount?

I was very disappointed indeed with the trader concerned when I saw what Andy refers to not long ago.

As for not soliciting, I am always amused when I see this phone box, just behind John Lewis on Oxford Street in London:

IMG_2363.jpg

I wonder how many people with cards read the notice and decided that, it being a conservation area, they would miss that 'phone box out after all?

In my younger days I was at a party in Kilburn. A friend and I got bored and caught the tube into central London. We walked back to Kilburn along Oxford Street collecting every 'business card' along the way. We ended up with the most interesting deck of Snap cards!

I see a lot of "comical" responses to Andy's message.  With due respect I think they are missing and minimising the point he is trying to make.  I feel he is trying to ensure the neutrality and integrity of this forum by stopping what I suggest is basically a Shrill practice.  Living where I do, I have to rely a lot on reviews and comments from people on this forum.  I will not say anymore except that I fully support Andy's position!  

p.s.  In another thread I will shortly be praising the service I have just received from a supplier that I sourced on this forum.  I will not be receiving any brown envelopes.

• RMweb Premium

Couldn't have put it better myself.  While the original message was perfectly clear and dealt with accordingly we can also be in danger at times of taking ourselves too seriously so a little humour after the point is made and perhaps just used to reinforce it is something I have no problem with.

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't have put it better myself.  While the original message was perfectly clear and dealt with accordingly we can also be in danger at times of taking ourselves too seriously so a little humour after the point is made and perhaps just used to reinforce it is something I have no problem with.

That'll be you off Chris T's Xmas card list, then !

• RMweb Gold

Returning to the original "problem", I got that email but didn't feel incentivised to fire off bogus recomendations just to get a paltry 10% off an item costing less than a fiver. I have had good service from the supplier, and have said so on the forum, (no I didn't get a discount!), so whilst I can see where the supplier is coming from, and maybe he didn't go about it in the totally correct manner, I think the issue is with any members who would cash in on the offer just for the discount.

Since the trader made the offer I haven't noticed an unwarranted flood of posts extolling the virtues of his goods, so we must have fair minded forum members who understand his viewpoint.

Just my two penn'orth.

Mike.

Archived