RMweb

North East Model Railway (Trenholme Junction)

dougattrenholmebar

Model Railway based on North East England large scale junction in the 1960's.

This film is a re-edited version of one which was published a while ago, using the technique of placing real world photographs in front of the moving images of the model.

We join the DMU at the Branch End taking the route to west side of the upper Marshaling Yard and onto the the East Station with a 4MT running beside us on the goods line. After a brief stop we go through the south tunnel and emerge next to a Pullman Train travelling North on the fast passenger line. After travelling on passing the the lower Marshaling Yard and a further stop at the South East Station, we travel on to the South Bay on the Main Station where the service terminates.

• 2 weeks later...

This film is a re-edited version of one which was published a while ago, using the technique of placing real world photographs in front of the moving images of the model.

Traffic is busy at the junction today as we are given our route. Setting off from the South Bay Platform, we call at South East Station, pass the Lower Marshalling Yard and the service terminates in the North Bay Platform.

At the termination of the route we head to the North Carriage Sidings after allowing further traffic to pass us.

The DMU has retired to the carriage siding adjacent to the Pit Exchange Sidings from where we set off on this turn of duty. After allowing a passing through train we head the bay platform to pickup passengers, and, after waiting for a train of empty wagons to be brought in to the head shunt we set off for the Main Station through the West Tunnel.

The last journey was through relatively quiet tracks (Sunday service, someone remarked). This journey is anything but, travelling finally to the Branch End through some busy end of afternoon traffic, evident by the Parcels Stock moving into position for the overnight mail services.

• 2 weeks later...

Built in the mid 1850's this bridge is a survivor from Picton to Battersby line. Double track, the bridge is on the first section between the stations of Picton Junction and Trenholmebar.

The line closed in 1958 but this piece of superb engineering is remarkably intact complete with its Yorkshire Stone coping stones and iron handrails. Repairs were made a few years ago to the brickwork, I think probably cheaper than demolishing it.

The track bed is almost intact, amongst lots of undergrowth.

The modern A19 trunk road passes nearby, with Trenholmebar station largely buried underneath it, but I often drive this way home through this quiet country lane and admire the bridge..... you can almost hear a train coming, so for just one minute only......

Trenholme Junction - Class 44 D1 Scafell Pike on Passenger Duty

This is a further experimental film combining real world photographs with models. I recently acquired a GoPro Hero 5 Session Camera and this is the first reasonable length film I've made with it, so some testing of the settings is going on.

The sound on this film is unfinished. I wonder if anyone has any sound recordings of a Class 44 they would let me use and I'll re-edit it.

I would like to thank Nigel Kidd for allowing me to use his photographs from inside the locomotive and James Culver for the view from the passenger coach.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In this series of films I've been trying various different techniques for the filming of Trenholme Junction.

One of the things I've come to regret when I built the train shed, was not plastering the walls. I never dreamed cameras would become so good. Although the walls are painted sky blue, you can still see the mortar seams in the films, irritatingly annoying.

I've been experimenting this week and come up with this solution, it looks like a sky backdrop..... but look closely, the clouds are moving.

There is some flicker on the clip, I know about that, but I think the principle is proved.

Neat eh?

Built in the mid 1850's this bridge is a survivor from Picton to Battersby line. Double track, the bridge is on the first section between the stations of Picton Junction and Trenholmebar.

The line closed in 1958 but this piece of superb engineering is remarkably intact complete with its Yorkshire Stone coping stones and iron handrails. Repairs were made a few years ago to the brickwork, I think probably cheaper than demolishing it.

The track bed is almost intact, amongst lots of undergrowth.

The modern A19 trunk road passes nearby, with Trenholmebar station largely buried underneath it, but I often drive this way home through this quiet country lane and admire the bridge..... you can almost hear a train coming, so for just one minute only......

A lovely idea, beautifully executed. Almost brought a lump to my throat...

Another in this series of films in which I've been trying various different techniques for the filming of Trenholme Junction.

This is a refinement on lasts weeks film using real footage of sky used as the backdrop.

The flickering caused by the fluorescent lights in the the train shed has now been resolved and the remarkable depth of field this camera has is evident in this clip.

• Like 1

Another in this series of films in which I've been trying various different techniques for the filming of Trenholme Junction.

The wind is up a bit today and this test film shows how effective it is to have a moving back scene and how the model and the real thing can be blended together.

(there is a little interference, limitations of my hardware and software)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This short film uses the same background as that used in Experimental Film 7.

There is some slight interference, I've not perfected this technique fully yet but I like the possibilities of blending the model and real world seamlessly together. The film is made and uploaded in 4k for those with the devices to view it in.

Note the attention the horse gives to the passing train.

• Like 1

In this film we jump onboard Class 46 'Peak' at the diesel shed at Trenholme Junction and head for the Lower Marshalling Yard.

The 08 Yard Pilot removes a train of sand wagons from one of the sidings and places them in the dispatch road. We couple up to them.

A Super D and train of mineral wagons ambles past on the through goods road and the DMU slips out from the bay platform in the station.

A diesel hauled tanker train passes and clears the road for us to proceed onto the loop at the south end of the main station in preparation to cross all the running lines and into East Tunnel.

Once traffic has passed we then pass through the South Bay and on to destinations unknown.

• 2 weeks later...

The wind is up a bit today and this test film shows how effective it is to have a moving back scene and how the model and the real thing can be blended together.

(there is a little interference, limitations of my hardware and software)

http://youtu.be/zhjPdoYiw_A

Clever that. It's a good idea

Continuing from last weeks film about the comings and goings around the Main Station South Bay at Trenholme Junction, we spend some more time around the same area taking in the views of the traffic.

The Station Pilot 08 has a broken axle and from the glimpses you see, it's about to tie itself in knots. Several hours of filming had to be scrapped when this happened and the Marshalling Yard Pilot was mustered to help out.

There are a lot of long shots in these sequences, I like the depth of field this camera has and the clarity of the objects far away. It also shows up any defects which have to be remedied.

There is a new blog about the equipment used to film the layout - link in the comments section below.

This series of films follows the traffic movements around the main

station at Trenholme Junction.

If you have any questions about the layout or want to know more information, there are several links to the blog in the comments section of this video. Feel free to ask any questions or request video subjects.

The final part of this trilogy showing the sort of activity you would see if you stood on a railway platform anywhere in the UK in the 1960's.

The 08 Diesel Shunter is the Station Pilot whose job is to move the rolling stock around within the station, making up the trains ready for the locomotives coming off shed.

Looking from the eyes of a nine year child.