RMweb

Smoked mackerel & spiced lime pickle

Mornin' all,

Our pre-festive season raid on the seasonal goodies at the Chatsworth farm shop provided a good haul yesterday. Along with the usual less common continental nibbles & chocs I couldn't resist the smoked mackerel at the fish counter...add to this the spiced lime pickle (usually the one most avoided with the poppadoms at the local Indian) and wow...what a taste sensation! The accompanying bottle of nice cider and fresh crusty bread helped too...but well worth a try.  

Dave

Hi Dave.

I like to spread my time between the modelling room and kitchen. Any method to this, or just pop it on a plate one next to t'other?

Mrs Penguin* is a particular fan of Mackerel so I'd like to give it a go.

Cheers.

Sean.

* Mrs Penguin is not the real name although the irony of a Penguin liking fish is not lost on me.....

Hi Dave.

I like to spread my time between the modelling room and kitchen. Any method to this, or just pop it on a plate one next to t'other?

Mrs Penguin* is a particular fan of Mackerel so I'd like to give it a go.

Cheers.

Sean.

* Mrs Penguin is not the real name although the irony of a Penguin liking fish is not lost on me.....

...I grilled the mackerel as directed then added a spoonful of the pickle to the side of the plate...forkful of fish dipped into the pickle and enjoy!

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Always up for lime pickle here.  Smoked mackerel is also a rare delicacy in these parts given the strict controls on imported foods.  

We usually (when we can find it) pair the mackerel with hot horseradish.  I'll give it a go with lime pickle next time.  

• RMweb Gold

Back in the dim and distant past, when I was early turn in the Control, I had to leave home by just after 6. So by the time the canteen opened at 10, I was a hungry boy. I kept lime pickle - and mango chutney - in my locker as the perfect accompaniment to a pastie!

Actually, I do see the lure.

I went to a Polish wedding a few years ago and quite enjoyed some of the roll-mop herrings and unknown (to me) accoutrements. Two hours of vodka apperitifs may have helped though.  :imsohappy:

P.S. I'm not 'with child'.

Actually, I do see the lure.

I went to a Polish wedding a few years ago and quite enjoyed some of the roll-mop herrings and unknown (to me) accoutrements. Two hours of vodka apperitifs may have helped though. :imsohappy:

P.S. I'm not 'with child'.

Mrs P and myself were married in Poland. I recall the first few courses were lovely, unfortunately, most events after that are a blur.....

Cheers, (literally).

Sean, (who is "with child" - well, Mrs P is.....).

Well.

Myself and Mrs Penguin visited the Humber Bridge Farmers Market this morning and picked up a couple of fillets of smoked mackerel. Unfortunately, the stall selling spiced lime had sold out so we have gone for Red onion chutney and spiced mango chutney.

Coupled with a nice chunk of toasted home made bread, I reckon we're still onto a winner!

Cheers.

Sean.

Mornin' all,

Our pre-festive season raid on the seasonal goodies at the Chatsworth farm shop provided a good haul yesterday. Along with the usual less common continental nibbles & chocs I couldn't resist the smoked mackerel at the fish counter...add to this the spiced lime pickle (usually the one most avoided with the poppadoms at the local Indian) and wow...what a taste sensation! The accompanying bottle of nice cider and fresh crusty bread helped too...but well worth a try.  

Dave

Must get down to Chatsworth before Christmas myself and export some oatcakes back north to Gods own county.

Must get down to Chatsworth before Christmas myself and export some oatcakes back north to Gods own county.

....the oatcakes for sale in Leek (made in Fegg Hayes and also the Povey's brand) are superb. Sold in the indoor market on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays....if you get there early enough to grab some.

Dave    

Archived