Prototype for everything corner.

2 hours ago, WessexEclectic said:

Top'n'tail shunting on a limited layout, within the last 35 years (just)? Drinnick Mill, Cornwall, UK 1987, photo credit Colin Underhill (archive link) - Several other photos if you scroll down in the link...

drinnick-mill-cornwall-uk-1987.jpg

Surely most of us have had the phenomenon of the last waggon detaching when you take you eye off the train only for it to reappear on the front of the loco

• Agree 1
  • Funny 9

20 hours ago, WessexEclectic said:

Top'n'tail shunting on a limited layout, within the last 35 years (just)? Drinnick Mill, Cornwall, UK 1987, photo credit Colin Underhill (archive link) - Several other photos if you scroll down in the link...

drinnick-mill-cornwall-uk-1987.jpg

Unless I'm badly mistaken that's Parkindillack on the old Newquay line that now terminates here.

The original line ran on the left to St Dennis Junction where it met with the current Newquay line.

If you search Parkindillack you will come up with a selection of Ernies railway archive dated 19 2 1982 which show the same move occurring but with a lot more stock....Both rolling stock & china clay....

Unfortunately I am not clever enough to link the picture to this post.

Cheers Bill

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Ian Smeeton said:

I like this:

https://www.railcar.co.uk/images/18596

Regards

Ian

Well, well, I never knew about that one, and Bletchley was a reasonably frequent spot for me. Of course, anything painted orange shouted "ignore me" to an ordinary spotter like myself (real trains - those with REAL NUMBERS - weren't painted orange in 1976!), but I've just found it in my 1978 Combined Volume (not highlighted as seen). I'd spotted the other Bletchley departmental (DB975042, ex-M55019), but that was a more recognisable DMU shape.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, treggyman said:

Unless I'm badly mistaken that's Parkindillack on the old Newquay line that now terminates here.

The original line ran on the left to St Dennis Junction where it met with the current Newquay line.

If you search Parkindillack you will come up with a selection of Ernies railway archive dated 19 2 1982 which show the same move occurring but with a lot more stock....Both rolling stock & china clay....

Unfortunately I am not clever enough to link the picture to this post.

Cheers Bill

GWR 1982-02-19 Parkindillack 37135

GWR 1982-02-19 Parkindillack, 37135 By Ernies Railway Archive on Flickr

I don't suppose it's actually a problem - as long as it's authorised in the Sec. App. or  Local Instructions etc.

Shunting, even involving a main running line, could quite often involve propelling trains over some distance. The main requirement was usually that there was a 'responsible person' ready to signal stop/go/whatever to the driver.

Even in more conventional shunting, it was rare that the driver would change ends unless absolutely necessary, so there would be a lot of 'hingin oot the windae' to get a better view.

Edited by keefer
  • Like 11

On 27/09/2019 at 03:58, martin_wynne said:

Here's another Templot corruption -- 1 buffer stop for 2 tracks:

http://templot.com/martweb/info_files/rlj1.jpg

It's Roe Lane Junction, Southport. The building is the maintenance workshops for the L&Y electric stock. Here's the 1927 map, the photo was taken from the footbridge:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/gallery/2/original/2_100856_220000000.png

© National Library of Scotland

Here's a link to the full map: https://maps.nls.uk/view/126518903#zoom=4&lat=6551&lon=9998&layers=BT

cheers,

Martin.

Or, what can be done with those broken Hornby/Peco points that you knew would/could/might be useful one day.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, keefer said:

GWR 1982-02-19 Parkindillack 37135

GWR 1982-02-19 Parkindillack, 37135 By Ernies Railway Archive on Flickr

I don't suppose it's actually a problem - as long as it's authorised in the Sec. App. or  Local Instructions etc.

Shunting, even involving a main running line, could quite often involve propelling trains over some distance. The main requirement was usually that there was a 'responsible person' ready to signal stop/go/whatever to the driver.

Even in more conventional shunting, it was rare that the driver would change ends unless absolutely necessary, so there would be a lot of 'hingin oot the windae' to get a better view.

Hi

Yes .that's the picture I was referring to.....

Thanks for posting....

Cheers Bill

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one we prepared earlier. An LNER A2 Peppercorn at Exeter Central station. Thanks to John Freeth:

A2 60532 Blue Peter (now preserved) has arrived at Exeter Central station with the LCGB ‘A2 Commemorative Railtour’ from Waterloo on Sunday 14 August 1966. It was two hours late having run out of steam on Honiton Bank and is seen here backing down to Exmouth Junction shed.

Just in case you get raided by the Elucidated Brethren of the Counted Rivet,  don't forget:

Rule 1, sub clause 22a

Any locomotive from a specific Big Four company (GWR, LMW, LNER & SR) can be run on the "wrong" region simply by adding a RailTour sign on the front of the loco.

A2 at Exeter Central

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
On 31/12/2022 at 17:32, Wild Boar Fell said:

When you model the GWML, but want to show off your (Ex ECML now WCML) Mk4s, but you forgot your matching 90 so you stuck a TfW 67 on it.

20220429_034448.jpg.d2a672b81e33ebd36eabf0fc2f5fec63.jpg

20220429_034343.jpg.5f36b127d8bac4d9d2e9fe0d3fa755ae.jpg20220429_034348.jpg.4867c4eb66d629ba65eaf626943961d0.jpg

Someone's going to have to tell me what I'm supposed to see.

Apart from A DVT & Mk4s in TOC livery that in the end didn't run any trains plus GW 57604 in the bay what is there?

• Agree 3

On 15/01/2023 at 10:57, KeithMacdonald said:

Here's one we prepared earlier. An LNER A2 Peppercorn at Exeter Central station. Thanks to John Freeth:

Just in case you get raided by the Elucidated Brethren of the Counted Rivet,  don't forget:

Rule 1, sub clause 22a

Any locomotive from a specific Big Four company (GWR, LMW, LNER & SR) can be run on the "wrong" region simply by adding a RailTour sign on the front of the loco.

A2 at Exeter Central

Rule 2, should the aforesaid loco fail to perform while on that region, it is mandatory that fans of the host region must ridicule the capabilities of the visiting loco.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 15/01/2023 at 16:55, melmerby said:

Someone's going to have to tell me what I'm supposed to see.

Apart from A DVT & Mk4s in TOC livery that in the end didn't run any trains plus GW 57604 in the bay what is there?

The pictures were taken at Reading, so I think the poster has posted them on the grounds that that’s not somewhere that that stock/livery would normally be seen. 

Edited by The Pilotman

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Pilotman said:

The pictures were taken at Reading, so I think the poster has posted them on the grounds that that’s not somewhere that that stock/livery would normally be seen. 

But a TfW class 67?

It was mentiond but what's that got to do with the photo?