Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium

From someone I follow on Flickr...

Wickham Trolley at ICI Wilton Works. Yes you can run a full size flat wagon behind your Wickham trolley 😆

wickham.jpg.2546490a853c93860d2b47ffebd76948.jpg

Edited by Weeny Works
  • Like 13

21 hours ago, Weeny Works said:

From someone I follow on Flickr...

Wickham Trolley at ICI Wilton Works. Yes you can run a full size flat wagon behind your Wickham trolley 😆

wickham.jpg.2546490a853c93860d2b47ffebd76948.jpg

This might also be good for the 'when the real thing looks like a model' thread!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Cowley 47521 said:

With Bulleid coaches too. Must be a long time since any of those were on the main line?

If they are on the mainline they have no cantrail stripes 

If they are trying to recreate a southern train for a film seems odd they would go to the trouble of finding actual southern coaches then completely messing up the loco 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Fairly sure that's the loop at Hellifield, so it's on the main line.

Yes they’ve definitely been out and about on the main line:

edit - Actually where have the coaches come from? Are they from the Bluebell Railway maybe?

Edited by Cowley 47521
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Fairly sure that's the loop at Hellifield, so it's on the main line.

Yes - the down goods loop. 

The usual watering spot for WCRC going west or northbound.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Yes they’ve definitely been out and about on the main line:

edit - Actually where have the coaches come from? Are they from the Bluebell Railway maybe?

Yes, they are from the Bluebell - 3 Bulleids and a Mk1 RMB.

I found another video here:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Something a little different for a class 40 front end?FB_IMG_1676807662372.jpg.31d9599957a7290c8e9577ce8d022c85.jpg

Photo posted with permission of Jonathan Dixon who posted this on Facebook.

The loco is 40127 taken at Poulton-Le-Fylde on 15 August 1975 sporting two types of headcode.  A later poster said that the nose end doors complete with discs apparently were fitted at Reddish in 1976 from withdrawn 40021 Iverrnia, however that creates a date discrepancy.

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

There is a photo in " Class 40s at work" of 40127 at Llandudno. Also inthe photo are three other class 40s.

One with disc headcode, one split box and one full headcode. Four different headcodes in one photo. I`m

afraid I no longer have the book so I can`t give the loco numbers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, simon b said:

Admittedly a us prototype, but mainline gauntlet tracks installed in the 21st century.

No other way to get floor level entry to passenger cars with wide freight vehicles.

I think there are some instances in Europe (Germany?) where they have adopted the same approach.

Note those 45XX locos (Bombadier ALP-45DP) are bi modes with dual voltage OHE and diesel power.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Interesting approach. 

It's an inconvenience If they accidentally misroute a passenger train to the wrong track, but it's going to be expensive if they route a wide freight train too close to the platform - especially if there are litigious passengers waiting on that platform at the time!  Do they rely on signallers knoowing what's what or do they have some form of automatic fail safe system to prevent this?  Perhaps something like fitting the passenger stock (only) with a transponder that has to be detected to set the route to the platform?

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

it's going to be expensive if they route a wide freight train too close to the platform

Bit more than expensive, I would guess.

The freights are already very close before getting routed even closer. I can see bits of loco being removed, as the platform edge disintegrates.

On that NJT one the passenger service is routed closer, the default route is straight on for wide trains.

I notice it is not unusual to do it the other way, straight on through the platform, divert away for wide trains.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Niederkaufungen Mitte in Germany is triple gauntlet so LRT vehicles are switched left or right heavy rail trains go down the middle.

1280px-Sechsschienengleis.JPG

Not sure why you need two platforms on a single line!

That's a new one on me.

But it could be necessary if the stock only has doors on one side à la Glasgow SUbway, and it gets turned on a loop at both ends, with the result that all the doors are on the other side on the return.  More probably it's just easier to explain to the passengers that trains for this direction run from this platform and for the other direction you need to use the other platform (especially if that's how you signpost all your other stations).

Three-way gautletting might make sense if you could at least run two narrow trains past one another, but there would need to be a wide enough space for a six foot - here even the narrow platform tracks overlap so it isn't a double track despite its six rails.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

But it could be necessary if the stock only has doors on one side à la Glasgow SUbway, and it gets turned on a loop at both ends, with the result that all the doors are on the other side on the return. 

They do only have doors on one side: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Haltestelle_Niederkaufungen_Mitte_01.JPG

Quite common on trams on the continent, usually with ballon loops at each terminal - and generally makes sense. Except in Belgium, where it gets silly:

(Incidentally, that entire channel is pretty much "prototype for everything"...

Edited by Nick C
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

They do only have doors on one side: https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Haltestelle_Niederkaufungen_Mitte_01.JPG

Quite common on trams on the continent, usually with ballon loops at each terminal - and generally makes sense. Except in Belgium, where it gets silly:

OK then, so it's a prototype for a roundy-roundy layout  😁

• Like 1