RMweb

Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

one of which shows the rear of the train, with a ladder sticking out of the brake van veranda!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jerry-spillett/50929917971/in/photostream/

Speaking of Appledore... Taken from a RailforumsUK thread: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/trivia-southern-region-services-worked-by-dmmus.197694/

Class 117/119 on the Hastings-Tonbridge service deep in Southeastern territory.

SRDMMU01Appledore.WorkingtheAshfordHastingsLine.jpg.be1a0b4997547891b61bf3b3f7f09743.jpg

Edited by Weeny Works
  • Like 10

23 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

A rare photo of one of the vans that ICI used to deliver industrial explosives in. The black shed was a transfer point between the internal narrow-gauge network and BR.

Yeah, I'm guessing that they were the replacement for the NG line after it was abandoned.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just to add another former regular banking operation, here is a class 20 giving a Ravenscraig bound ore train a shove through Mossend.  The 20 would have been added at Rosehall Junction Coatbridge.  Banking was discontinued after a mishap on the Mossend North - Mossend East curve when the pair of 37s on the front braked sharply and the 20 kept pushing, resulting in HAAs being spread over the curve.  After this the 20 was added on front at Mossend then later it became 3 × 37s.

banker20@mossend.jpg.d89e71fc7c88ce8f7d814c3800d2f052.jpg

Jim

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Great pic Jim, never seen a pic of a 20 on it (or indeed any loco banking!).

I had it in my mind that it was an MGR of HAAs that derailed.

In later years, a cl.26 was sometimes added to 2x37 at Mossend North Yard.

There are some great videos on YouTube of the Ore & MGR trains

• Like 3

It is not often that an entire video justifies being in this thread, but I think this one deserves it.

From an intercity class 86 pulling a MGR hopper amongst other things, to a train made up entirely from DVT's being controlled by the lead DVT, test trains, other weird formations etc, in this almost 38 min long video you are never more than a couple of minutes away from something that could be in this thread...

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if that's the same Lewis Bevan that was part of my teenage spotting group in the 60s.  I last saw him in '85 at one of our favourite haunts from back in the day, Pengam Bridge, to the east of Cardiff, where we were amongst the crowd waiting for CoT to run past after visiting Maindy workshops as part of the GW 150 shindig.  IIRC he said was living in Surrey somewhere and working in the Civil Service but don't quote me on that.  In our spotting days, he owned a magnicent Voightlander medium format TLR camera, that his dad had brought back from Monte Cassino, the story being that he'd relieved a dead German of it...

He was, as a teenager, a gangly sort of lad with an uncontrollable mass of hair, sporting a pair of thick-rimmed specs, surprisingly successful at cross-country running; his various dissassociated limbs and bits would be all over the place, but one of them quite often mangaed to get ahead of the field and over the line first...  Good lad, and a great chum.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Nuneaton 1985 by Lewis Bevan

Class 87 drag at Nuneaton

I seem to recall 58s dragging Sparkies in the Midlands was quite a common sight back then, during weekend engineering work possessions where the diversion took the train away from the wires. Not sure what the diversion route was, but this isn't the first photo of this sort of working I've seen. Nuneaton was, IIRC, the start/end point of the diversion, so the 58 might have just been coupled up, or would soon be detached, in this photo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 27/07/2023 at 22:39, keefer said:

Great pic Jim, never seen a pic of a 20 on it (or indeed any loco banking!).

I had it in my mind that it was an MGR of HAAs that derailed.

In later years, a cl.26 was sometimes added to 2x37 at Mossend North Yard.

There are some great videos on YouTube of the Ore & MGR trains

Yes it was HAAs that were derailed, at that time coal from Hunterston to Ravenscraig could also be conveyed in HAAs

Here are a couple more of my collection, including  another 20.

20a37s@mossend.jpg.2f38a7531184a14f38bf90ee1377bd72.jpg

cls37smoke2(1).jpg.6cc457215e6750342a9c9b70d9699661.jpg

Jim

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I seem to recall 58s dragging Sparkies in the Midlands was quite a common sight back then, during weekend engineering work possessions where the diversion took the train away from the wires. Not sure what the diversion route was, but this isn't the first photo of this sort of working I've seen. Nuneaton was, IIRC, the start/end point of the diversion, so the 58 might have just been coupled up, or would soon be detached, in this photo.

Almost certainly the 58 has just  is about to drag New St - Nuneaton.

Edited by rodent279
Looked at the caption in Flickr!
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

cls37smoke2(1).jpg.6cc457215e6750342a9c9b70d9699661.jpg

Jim

I have linked to it before but here's the video of the erupting 37. (Did you film it, Jim?):

Edited by keefer
  • Like 7