Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Premium

I am not quite sure why you would model this but I found this bit of railway architecture quite fascinating - brick arches built between roof girders.

attachicon.gifLO 378 154 Surrey Quays station roof structure 17 1 2018.jpg

Hi Phil

I think you will find it is more common than you think.

e.g. Baker Street:

https://goo.gl/maps/DocXVCJnxG52

Keith

• RMweb Gold

If Deltics in general never had OHLE warning stickers, and if I'm honest I'd have to say I've never looked but will now, they are pretty unique; the stickers were more or less universally applied everywhere, even to Southern 3rd rail 750v dc stock which would hardly have been expected to run under 25kv cables under any circumstances. I used to be mildly amused in a juvenile sort of way at the thought of some poor railwayman on the SR electrocuting himself on the 3rd rail while gazing skywards looking for the lethal cables he'd been so thoroughly warned about, but that was the sort of silliness I went in for in those days...

Until sometime in the late 80's/early 90's, no AC electric locos had OHL warning flashes.

Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself. There's loads on Flickr.

• RMweb Gold

Until sometime in the late 80's/early 90's, no AC electric locos had OHL warning flashes.

Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself. There's loads on Flickr.

Where one can see the ends of locos in Dad's photos from the 1980s there are none to be seen. They do appear on carriage ends though.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4434-electric-traction-in-the-1980s-ohle/

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Gold

This is new to me and fascinating stuff, and supports my opinion at the time that sticking warning flashes on Bullied pacifics or Radyr 56xx was a bit silly as they were never going to ever go anywhere there were wires.  The electric stock and locos on the Manchester-Sheffield route seemed to have them, which appealed to the juvenile humour mentioned before in the imagined scene of someone on top of the loco complaining that he was being electrocuted by a different voltage to that specified on the flashes.  It's 'elf an safe tee gorn mad I tells yer.

But a factor I have not taken into account might have been the difficulty of access by staff to heights that exposed them to danger on some locos.  Steam engines had steps or ladders, and handrails, to enable firemen to get on top of tenders or tanks for watering purposes, and many diesels had similar access to points high up for fitters to get at things; perhaps this was not so on the Deltics, which had very high roofs, and it is possible that the AC electrics were specifically designed with this sort of thing in mind so didn't need the flashes, or that they were simply not issued to AC depots because everybody understood the dangers anyway.

I am guessing here, so don't quote me as being authoritative on any of this!  I loved the anomaly of steam locos with cabside stripes banning them from running under the wires that still had flashes stuck on them in the appropriate places!

I loved the anomaly of steam locos with cabside stripes banning them from running under the wires that still had flashes stuck on them in the appropriate places!

But the stripes did not ban them from running under the wires, only some of the wires. The warnings were still needed.

Regards

This is new to me and fascinating stuff, and supports my opinion at the time that sticking warning flashes on Bullied pacifics or Radyr 56xx was a bit silly as they were never going to ever go anywhere there were wires.  The electric stock and locos on the Manchester-Sheffield route seemed to have them, which appealed to the juvenile humour mentioned before in the imagined scene of someone on top of the loco complaining that he was being electrocuted by a different voltage to that specified on the flashes.  It's 'elf an safe tee gorn mad I tells yer.

But a factor I have not taken into account might have been the difficulty of access by staff to heights that exposed them to danger on some locos.  Steam engines had steps or ladders, and handrails, to enable firemen to get on top of tenders or tanks for watering purposes, and many diesels had similar access to points high up for fitters to get at things; perhaps this was not so on the Deltics, which had very high roofs, and it is possible that the AC electrics were specifically designed with this sort of thing in mind so didn't need the flashes, or that they were simply not issued to AC depots because everybody understood the dangers anyway.

I am guessing here, so don't quote me as being authoritative on any of this!  I loved the anomaly of steam locos with cabside stripes banning them from running under the wires that still had flashes stuck on them in the appropriate places!

One reason for people getting close to the wires on many diesels might be to replenish the water tanks for the boilers. I know some diesels had filler points low down, sometimes accessible through body-side windows, like the Warships, but others, such as the 44/45/46 and the 31, had them on the roof. 

Did DB take their tail lamp back!

If thats a loaded 10 set what's going to pull them up the bank?

It went up the bank with the 66 in 2 rafts of 5, hence the "proper" tail lamp on the 2nd raft.  It didn't help that the 66 had a traction motor out, the driver reckoned he was lucky to make it up Nunthorpe bank, it was down to 2-3mph at the top.

Do you know who the driver was?

Nunthorpe is actually 1 in 44 and you have to stop at gypsy lane for the crossing

That's not the easiest question to answer as DBS had 8 members of staff directly involved with the move, and I've not got a good memory for names.  However I think the chap in question was Mike(?) Wetherell, used to be a guard on the NYMR in the early days.  I may have the first name wrong, in the hour or so they're at Grosmont things are a bit hectic, with running it round, splitting off, dealing with the Moors PICOP and trying to restrain the more overenthusiastic volunteers!

• Like 2

Generally, if it was a steam / diesel combination, the diesel was placed ahead of the steam loco. This avoided the diesel ingesting a lot of dirt and ash.

In this case, and judging by the exhaust, I'd say that the steam loco is working.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Generally, if it was a steam / diesel combination, the diesel was placed ahead of the steam loco. This avoided the diesel ingesting a lot of dirt and ash.

In this case, and judging by the exhaust, I'd say that the steam loco is working.

As usual the (ex)GWR in Cornwall had to be different and a Grange or Hall piloting a Warship or a pair of "baby" Hydraulics was not unusual, having seen it several times myself when holidaying there.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

That's not the easiest question to answer as DBS had 8 members of staff directly involved with the move, and I've not got a good memory for names.  However I think the chap in question was Mike(?) Wetherell, used to be a guard on the NYMR in the early days.  I may have the first name wrong, in the hour or so they're at Grosmont things are a bit hectic, with running it round, splitting off, dealing with the Moors PICOP and trying to restrain the more overenthusiastic volunteers!

Its Mark Wetherill we were volunteers up there together in the very early 80s.

Me and mark were very good mates but haven't seen him in years we did our driver training together in 88.

Had a feeling he might have been on that job.

I'm still in regular contact with Gordon Dollimore who also used go up there

• RMweb Gold

From the exhaust and leakage on the steam engine, I would have assumed that it is the failure and the Co-Bo is assisting in advance. 

But there were certainly diagram for double headed Co-Bos, famously the 'Condor' Cricklewood-Glasgow via Leeds and Carlisle overnight express freight on which the locos failed so often and had to be replaced by Black 5s, Jubilees, or 9Fs that their reputation was permanently compromised and they were banished to Cumbria where Vickers could look after them.