Prototype for everything corner.

• RMweb Gold

Are there any photographs of these containers on the Cannel Islands!

Mark Saunders

BD containers were worked to/from the Channel Islands but I would seriously question whether they were ever loaded with produce.  The usual way of handling produce, such as tomatoes was by hand although this might have changed in later years - however there were very definitely produce trains running out of Weymouth via the GW route at the end of the steam with traffic loaded in Vanfits and not containers.

• RMweb Premium

Mention of tomatoes reminded me of an old thread about company stickers on rail vans.

One of the subjects was 'Guernsey toms' and a scene in BTF film 'fully fitted freight' from 1957:

guernsey.jpg.e9c9b6bc89725472b20ee37b89e91a47.jpg

The screengrab shows the manual handling of the 'Isle O'Sun' chip baskets

Article about them here: http://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.co.uk/2011/07/history-f-guernsey-tomato-growing.html

Apparently, "the busiest week being the week ending 11 June 1955 when 793,966 chip baskets were exported"

Edited by keefer
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That'll be worth a few Texaco loyalty points..........

Cheers,

Mick

Some years ago to I travelled to Prague by coach. On the way back they stopped to refuel and were given a rather large quantity of something like green shield stamps. The non-driving driver (so to speak) then spent considerable time pasting them all into the book. I don't know what you got for them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Some years ago to I travelled to Prague by coach. On the way back they stopped to refuel and were given a rather large quantity of something like green shield stamps. The non-driving driver (so to speak) then spent considerable time pasting them all into the book. I don't know what you got for them.

A bad taste in the mouth......?

Cheers,

Mick

When I worked for the Civil Engineers one of the jobs on Monday morning was taking all the hire vans down to Tesco to fill them up before the hire company collected them.  You should have heard the moaning when the chap who did it discovered one Monday that he had forgotten his Tesco loyalty card, so out of the goodness of my heart I lent him mine.

• RMweb Gold

Another gem from the Transport Treasury:

https://goo.gl/kuodMt

Who needs buffer stops when a grounded van will do!

Regards

Ian

Are these ex-Gun Powder vans?

If so, then lettings shunters know that may help reduce the number of "hard shunts" up against the buffers!

Kev.

• Like 1

Another gem from the Transport Treasury:

https://goo.gl/kuodMt

Who needs buffer stops when a grounded van will do!

Regards

Ian

Looking at how they're set up, I suspect they'd also provide some rudimentary shock absorption as they look as if they'd slide along the rails a bit if hit. ISTR one of them appearing in an old copy of RM (quite possibly under the title "Prototype for Everything" :D) but this shot is at a better angle, showing how they sit on the rails.

• RMweb Premium

Are these ex-Gun Powder vans?

If so, then lettings shunters know that may help reduce the number of "hard shunts" up against the buffers!

Kev.

Look like Iron Minks, maybe V6 with replacement doors?

Keith