Prototype for everything corner.

Unusual coach formation here from time 4:15, presumably heading to or from maintenance.  As well as Mk2s and a Mk3, also includes three buffets, and a TPO coach.

https://youtu.be/7z0lLmz0UNU?t=255

Could well be the Wolverton to Old Oak stock move, a regular job for quite a few years. It would sometimes be electric hauled down to Mitre Bridge where the WR loco would come on the back and take it to Old Oak via South West Sidings, Acton Wells and the Greenford Triangle.

Edited by Rugd1022

• RMweb Premium

Unusual coach formation here from time 4:15, presumably heading to or from maintenance.  As well as Mk2s and a Mk3, also includes three buffets, and a TPO coach.

https://youtu.be/7z0lLmz0UNU?t=255

Most of the running seems to be on the slow lines which would fit in with ecs movements.

In a backward step a lot of the electric freight now seems to be class 66 hauled.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Just a thought, but was it necessarily to do with adhesion, or was it not the case that for the reason you say the Class 158 were disappearing off track circuits as the wheel surface was not being conditioned/ scrubbed. I believe this led to the partially accidental invention of TCA (Track Circuit Assist), which was then retrofitted to the 158s.

Wild Boar Fell

there was a period around 1990 when the first 158s apeared that a single 156 coach was attached at one end during the leaf fall season for just this reason used to see them on services through the calder valley

• RMweb Gold

there was a period around 1990 when the first 158s apeared that a single 156 coach was attached at one end during the leaf fall season for just this reason used to see them on services through the calder valley

The TCA isn't the solution for leaf mulch it's either tread brakes or scrubber blocks you need. That's why FGW split the scrubber equipped sets when they made them up into three car sets so at least one coach would have scrubber blocks in each set. Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

Another interesting watch, especially around 2:20, 89001 with a Mk3 set consisting of buffer-fitted TGS, FO, buffet, 5xTSOs, another HST TGS and the HST generator vehicle.  Seem again twice at 5:05 - 5:55.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Also, at 2:50 during the intro is what looks like a 47 with 4x guv's, no bg.

This would be fine for a class 4 train post 1969, when a single manning agreement allowed guards to travel in the rear cab of locomotives; this dispensed with the need to provide train heating for them.  This could be seen on class 4 or 6 trains, which were fully fitted with automatic vacuum or air brakes on all vehicles, operated by the driver. 

• RMweb Premium

Came across this by chance, when looking for something else:

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/30/257/

Reminds me of the time in the very early 70s at York. Coming into platform 9 (as it was then) was a very quiet engine (I think it was a deltic) hauling a northbound passenger. On investigation, halfway down the platform was a class 40 propelling the obviously failed deltic and its train. However the '40' was at the time hauling its own passenger train. Unfotunately I didn't posses a camera at the time (couldn't afford one), and I no longer have my spotting notebook. By chance, is there anyone out there that recalls this incident?

Regards, Ian.

Another interesting watch, especially around 2:20, 89001 with a Mk3 set consisting of buffer-fitted TGS, FO, buffet, 5xTSOs, another HST TGS and the HST generator vehicle.  Seem again twice at 5:05 - 5:55.

That brings back the memories - the shots of DMUs at the junction between the ECML and the Nottingham line (at around the 4 minute point) are taken from the opposite side of the line from my parents house. I'd have seen most of these trains from my bedroom window, although I don't recall seeing the the HST set with the generator van which suggests it was only a temporary formation. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No picture but on Saturday just after leaving Grantham southbound I passed an East Coast set, nothing unusual there, but there was a 91 blunt end outward tagged on the back complete with flashing tail lamp

Apparently the DVT failed, so the 91 was tagged on. It also did two Leeds-KX trips with the 91 blunt end leading.

http://www.wnxx.com/17/1712/311217/91105.htm

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2