Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Premium

He'll be putting scale diesel engines in is loco's next

Now there's a thought

Careful Mark, you're making unnecessary work for yourself if you don't watch out.

Yes, you are probably right; but in an odd way that is sort of the whole point of this little side project.  It doesn't need anything like at much stock as BCB and most of it will be modified RTR rather than the kit builds I've focused on for FL and BCB.  My logic is that the time I save building (and painting) kits can be put into other fiddly or more technically challenging elements - while I decide whether these are things I want to include in the stock for WLL.  So hopefully there is method in my madness!?

• Like 2

I've currently got a mix of spring and fixed buffers in my P4 stock.  I do find, as has been mentioned that they are sometime a bit to springy and the wagon bounces away from the loco when being propelled.  I've got a couple of bogie wagons with fixed buffers and they have no problems being propelled through point work albeit they are fairly large radius turnouts...

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thought I'd have a go at signalling the layout, taking some guidance from this photo on Flickr:

5137574786_9980ea94d6.jpg

This is what I have so far, not added any of the ground signals yet.  The area modelling is from the left of the level crossing to the end of the siding with the stop boards.

post-6677-0-31828000-1395264248_thumb.png

Think I have also identified a suitable building for the back right corner of the layout, which I need to mock up and try for size.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The level crossing won't be on the scenic section of the layout, but I wanted to suggest that it is there.  The obvious answer seemed to be to have the back of some buildings running perpendicular to the railway.  I thought a pub might be good, after all, every good layout needs a pub.  After a bit of Googling I decided upon the Hatherton Arms in Bloxwich:

3171483720_a71273389a_b.jpg

This seemed to be about the right size and has some extensions to the rear which make the back of it interesting.  I worked out a few basic dimensions using Google maps and guessing from photos and put together a very rough mock up from foamboard and card.  Initially it was placed square to the backscene but space was a bit tight and it didn't look right.

post-6677-0-38984100-1395609156_thumb.jpg

Cutting off one end at a slight angle helped though and I think this looks ok.

post-6677-0-68984700-1395609164_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-93436400-1395609171_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The level crossing won't be on the scenic section of the layout, but I wanted to suggest that it is there.  The obvious answer seemed to be to have the back of some buildings running perpendicular to the railway.  I thought a pub might be good, after all, every good layout needs a pub.  After a bit of Googling I decided upon the Hatherton Arms in Bloxwich:

3171483720_a71273389a_b.jpg

This seemed to be about the right size and has some extensions to the rear which make the back of it interesting.  I worked out a few basic dimensions using Google maps and guessing from photos and put together a very rough mock up from foamboard and card.  Initially it was placed square to the backscene but space was a bit tight and it didn't look right.

attachicon.gifWP_20140323_009.jpg

Cutting off one end at a slight angle helped though and I think this looks ok.

attachicon.gifWP_20140323_020.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20140323_022.jpg

Pub - good choice

Do we need to audit it - to check for suitability?

• RMweb Premium

I'm considering whether to use a short length of concrete sleeper, flat bottom rail track at the left hand end of the layout

post-6677-0-38771600-1396295624_thumb.jpg

I think this is a good way of  making it clear to anyone looking at the layout that this is the mainline through the scene rather than another siding.  The mixture of flat bottom and bull head rail seems to match Bloxwich too.

6877596554_2589da441c.jpg

and also here: https://flic.kr/p/aJidpB

• Like 6

Marc,

Looking good, it seems to be progressing well and at a steady pace. I like the look of the concrete sleepered track along the front, it makes it clear that it's the mainline.

Look forward to seeing more.

Cheers

I would certainly do that. Small layouts are often hard to tell what their story is by looking at them. Visual cues such as a concrete sleepered lines for a main make a big difference.

• RMweb Premium

What no Colin Craig FB track Mark? 

Looking good.

Thanks Dave. I did think about using some of Colin's track instead of the concrete sleeper bit that I've done. I need to use a length of it (BR1 baseplates) for one platform road on WLL, so it'd be a chance to practice folding them up! Flat bottom for the turnouts was never really something I considered, the point work at Bloxwich was still bullhead until at least '84 so I think I can get away with using it :secret:

• RMweb Premium

Another parcel from C&L arrived today, containing the rest of the parts I had forgotten to order previously - ordered Sunday evening and delivered in today's post  :good:

I'm using some of the Exactoscale brass chairs on the last couple of sleepers on each line which crosses into the fiddle yard for added strength and durability.

• RMweb Premium

You're gonna cut all the webs out between the sleepers ???

Dunno; TBH hadn't really thought about that yet. Not sure what we did on BCB, was totally immersed in wagon building at that stage of the project!!!!  Any advice from those who have used these products before greatly appreciated.

The ballast will be deep enough to cover them. Thats why they are modelled at half the sleeper depth. Removing them would be a proper ballache.

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1