Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Premium

Decision time; main line at the front....

post-6677-0-90889300-1385321180_thumb.jpg

or main line at the back?....

post-6677-0-07927900-1385321188_thumb.jpg

Think I'm favouring the latter.

The V shaped area between the two sidings has been cut out since taking these photos and C&L foam underlay fixed down using carpet adhesive spray.

This layout needs a name: I can't keep calling it FL2!

• Like 6

Decision time; main line at the front....

attachicon.gifWP_20131124_001.jpg

or main line at the back?....

attachicon.gifWP_20131124_006.jpg

Think I'm favouring the latter.

The V shaped area between the two sidings has been cut out since taking these photos and C&L foam underlay fixed down using carpet adhesive spray.

This layout needs a name: I can't keep calling it FL2!

Have you got some building mock-ups to add?

To get the full picture before you decide?

• RMweb Premium

Most would, but why not be a bit more daring?

Too late!

As it is smaller in length at least, why not, "Forge Way", both words being diminutives of Foundry Lane?

Which way round do you think most would and which is the more daring; I like the idea of being daring!  The underlay is fixed to the track bed, but the track bed is not yet fixed to the baseboard.

Thanks for the name suggestion too; like the idea of the name being somehow related to Foundry Lane - with FL I liked the way it combined something industrial with something that sounded a bit rural.  Some time after deciding on the name I saw this photo of Furnace Lane in Birmingham.

Other 'gritty' street and road names, commonly used in the old iron and steel working areas, were sometimes related to pioneers in the industry, Bessemer, Cort, Hall, Siemens, Martin, Thomas and Mushet are examples with several lanes, streets and roads named after them. Blast Lane, Pig Lane, Puddlers Lane, are examples related to industry activities. Just for clarity, forge isn't a diminutive of foundry, they're different activities, both common in the Black Country.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There is actually a foundry lane in Bloxwich. So FL2 isn't too far fetched.

Just looked that up on Google (how was layout research done before Google maps?). There are still some buildings from the one in Smethwick that I'd like to find space for on a layout, one day

Other 'gritty' street and road names, commonly used in the old iron and steel working areas, were sometimes related to pioneers in the industry, Bessemer, Cort, Hall, Siemens, Martin, Thomas and Mushet are examples with several lanes, streets and roads named after them. Blast Lane, Pig Lane, Puddlers Lane, are examples related to industry activities.

I do quite like Puddlers Lane; only concern being it might be mistaken for Puddle Lane!!

I note (from good old Google maps) that the road which the siding into the smelters (which is the road which the viewer would be standing on if I arrange the layout with main line at the rear) is Fryers Road; while not industry related Fryers Lane has a nice ring to it and gives a nod of recognition to the real location.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think most would have the mainline at the back: easier to disguise, easier to see stock on the sidings, etc.

Interestingly, that's the way I saw it in my minds eye, possibly with a low brick wall running along the front (the brown line on the plans on the previuos page) which the viewer looks over to see the trains passing by. 

With three exits to hide and no bridges or tunnels to hide them with I always expected that at least one of these would simply disappear behind a "wing".  The unloading shed I'm considering putting between the sidings would probably take care of one of the others, which just leaves the exit at what would be the level crossing end.  An earlier suggestion of a signal box would work well here, although that might tie it down to one particular region - still need to get my head around that one.  As D suggested, I think some building mock ups are next on the to do list.

Just looked that up on Google (how was layout research done before Google maps?). There are still some buildings from the one in Smethwick that I'd like to find space for on a layout, one day

I do quite like Puddlers Lane; only concern being it might be mistaken for Puddle Lane!!

I note (from good old Google maps) that the road which the siding into the smelters (which is the road which the viewer would be standing on if I arrange the layout with main line at the rear) is Fryers Road; while not industry related Fryers Lane has a nice ring to it and gives a nod of recognition to the real location.

I wouldn't bet that Fryer's doesn't have a connection to the spelter works; I have an inkling that there used to be a firm called Fryer's that was involved in solder manufacture. 

• RMweb Gold

With three exits to hide and no bridges or tunnels to hide them with I always expected that at least one of these would simply disappear behind a "wing".  The unloading shed I'm considering putting between the sidings would probably take care of one of the others, which just leaves the exit at what would be the level crossing end.  An earlier suggestion of a signal box would work well here, although that might tie it down to one particular region - still need to get my head around that one.  As D suggested, I think some building mock ups are next on the to do list.

I know there were regional types, but how about a BR replacement box? I'm thinking something like the Bachmann one, I think that is an LM one but could you get away with one like it?

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't bet that Fryer's doesn't have a connection to the spelter works; I have an inkling that there used to be a firm called Fryer's that was involved in solder manufacture. 

As far as I can tell the site at Bloxwich was part of the Imperial Smelting Co, earliest mention of the Bloxwich site seems to be around 1945, although I guess it could previously have been home to Fryers.

I know there were regional types, but how about a BR replacement box? I'm thinking something like the Bachmann one, I think that is an LM one but could you get away with one like it?

I think (and am certainly no expert on this) that even the BR ones were region specific designs - happy to be proven wrong on this one though.

To set the era, how about a Portakabin or two, outside the railway boundaries.

Great minds.....I've already made a start on a Knightwing kit for one of those  ;)  

• RMweb Premium

It occured to me this morning that I might be over-thinking this non-specific region thing.  If I made the features ex-LMS (but not ex-Midland or ex-LNWR) I think I could justify most of the locos/stock that I might ever be tempted to run on the layout.  Regional boundary changes could then allow the line to be an ex-LMS line under LMR, WR or ScR control depending on where my mood takes me.  Further research beckons I think....

• Like 3

Other 'gritty' street and road names, commonly used in the old iron and steel working areas, were sometimes related to pioneers in the industry, Bessemer, Cort, Hall, Siemens, Martin, Thomas and Mushet are examples with several lanes, streets and roads named after them. Blast Lane, Pig Lane, Puddlers Lane, are examples related to industry activities. Just for clarity, forge isn't a diminutive of foundry, they're different activities, both common in the Black Country.

Working on from Arthur's 'gritty' names, very close to the original Bloxwich station is Sandhill Street and this road could be adapted to be a level crossing just out of scene.  This helps with a reason for a signal cabin and keeps a 'Blocko' connection.

Somewhere in the background (or foreground, perhaps) you need a model of the "Romping Cat" public house.  It was still using sawdust on the floor of the snug, when I last went there in about 1979.  And a Jack Russell terrier took a crafty leak up the corner of the bar.  Jayne wasn't impressed with the "Cat", but there were lots of great pubs for darts around there, too!

• RMweb Premium

Somewhere in the background (or foreground, perhaps) you need a model of the "Romping Cat" public house.  It was still using sawdust on the floor of the snug, when I last went there in about 1979.  And a Jack Russell terrier took a crafty leak up the corner of the bar.  Jayne wasn't impressed with the "Cat", but there were lots of great pubs for darts around there, too!

It doesn't look that bad now and there's a chip shop next door!  Pukka pie anyone?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking good so far Mark, be interested in seeing how you go about hiding the exits at either end as I'm having problems with one end of my small plank...

John

Hi John, thanks, I liked the pipe bridge suggestion for yours; did something similar on (old) Foundry Lane, although it could really have done with being a bit more substantial than the pipe I ended up using.  Here is what I did, would have been better if the building had a bit more depth:

post-6677-0-13547400-1385494172_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Working on from Arthur's 'gritty' names, very close to the original Bloxwich station is Sandhill Street and this road could be adapted to be a level crossing just out of scene.  This helps with a reason for a signal cabin and keeps a 'Blocko' connection.

Some people miss those spittoons !!

Andy

• RMweb Premium

A bit more progress today; the track bed is now fixed in position.  It is fixed to strips of ply which raise it above the board cross-members. I spent a lot of time making sure that these were nice an level before fixing the track bed in position.  Coincidentally the baseboard fits nicely on the armrests of the bench we have in the back garden!

post-6677-0-62138400-1385912999_thumb.jpg

The rear siding will slope down slightly to exit at a slightly lower height than the main line.

post-6677-0-83003400-1385913004_thumb.jpg

A look along the track bed from the level crossing end

post-6677-0-17363200-1385913011_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Cheers guys.

A quick check to make sure it still fits:

attachicon.gifWP_20131113_007.jpg

Then some holes cut in the end boards to give access to the fiddleyards:

attachicon.gifWP_20131115_005.jpg

Had a bit of a false start on the track work, I decided I'd use the templates from Scalefour Society rather than draw up the tandem in Templot, unfortunately after gluing down most of the timbers I found out there are some dimensional inaccuracies with the templates I was using.  I've now abandoned this and spent last night reminding myself how to do it in Templot.

Added another wagon to the fleet on a visit to Alsager exhibition this morning; this Bachmann POA now has P4 wheels with S Kits disc brake inserts (that factory weathering needs sorting out!).

attachicon.gifWP_20131116_009.jpg

I'm really liking your 'box' idea - lots of layout protection and quick erection

could be worth nicking.....