Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Premium

Are you laying the track like this

For course, is there any other way?   :dontknow:

Had not really thought about it before but was surprised at the amount of mechanisation involved in preparing the sleepers, even at that date.  Very interesting, thanks for the link.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.  It was immediately before entering the tunnel so wonder if it was some sort of structure over the (what appears to have been) lower level line adjacent to the mainline?  You can see them on the Google maps photo of the area.

Not easy to tell from the photo, but they look a bit more sturdy/substantial than railings, I think

That makes sense, I wondered if it supported a canopy over a siding, maybe alongside a goods shed or warehouse.

I personally think they are too light to support a canopy or such. Looking at them they seem to be similar to the bottom of these railings. Of course something of decernable scale near them would help.

post-6894-0-05862100-1397331090.jpg

• RMweb Premium

You're gonna cut all the webs out between the sleepers ???

Now look what you've gone and made me do....

post-6677-0-71994900-1397404867_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-50953300-1397404874_thumb.jpg

Current thinking is as follows:

Concrete sleepered track on the mainline - ballasted to sleeper tops, well maintained, possibly quite recently laid

Through the turnouts and the mainline/loop at right hand end - lower ballast level, less well kept

Siding 1 (closest) - almost completely in filled, muck to sleeper tops

Siding 2 (back) - ballast level just below sleeper tops, weeds etc growing as close to the track as I can get away with

Now off to hoover up all the little bits of plastic spread about the layout and the floor around it!!!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

So far, I've been using Exactoscale common crossings and switches, which I've "borrowed" from a couple of B8 turnout kits I had stashed away ready for the W'ton Low Level project. However, as I move on to the complicated bit, I thought I'd better remind myself how to make my own, starting with the 1:7 vee for the tandem; the pictures probably explain it better than I can:

post-6677-0-86428800-1397418177_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-79204400-1397418187_thumb.jpg

(not quite there yet; need to file a bit more off!)

post-6677-0-29832500-1397418195_thumb.jpg

(that's better)

post-6677-0-96922900-1397418200_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-52466500-1397418209_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-26157300-1397418219_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking I'll make up all the component parts for this turnout before I glue anything else down; just in case :scratchhead:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Looking at this thread reminds me me I have so much to "re-learn" or even learn in the first place - so its all good to see how its done :)

That is very much what this project is all about for me too. I have (in my head at least) built up W'ton Low Level as being something of a magnum opus, so this is where I get to hone new and slightly rusty skills in the hope I can achieve what I want to with WLL.

It is likely to involve a little trial and error though, so don't assume I'm doing everything the right (or best) way ;-)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Made a bit more progress on the 1:7 crossing this evening:

post-6677-0-90890100-1397507837_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-14580000-1397507845_thumb.jpg

It seems to be ok, but I'm not 100% happy with it, so might treat this one as a practice and have another go, before moving on to the next one.

Another loco destined for this project arrived in today's post, but more about that another time.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

A useful "driver's eye view" photo here showing the colour light signal which will (I think) be positioned at the left hand end of the layout.  I'm wondering whether in my scenario (i.e. on a single track line with a facing connection into the loop) a position light mounted on the post would be appropriate?

• RMweb Premium

Evening Mark, That point work is looking superb, one day, just maybe one day I'll give it a go.

Bodge :sungum:

Thanks Andy. I'd urge everyone to have a go, it really isn't as difficult as many people think. Sure here I'm using some fancy jigs and bought in components, but I did all the track for Foundry Lane with nothing more fancy than a few roller gauges. Go on, give it a go B)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

No real progress to report on this little project as work and house have been taking up all of my time recently.  Following the weekend at DEMU Showcase with BCB feeling inspired to get back on with this and did manage to pick up a few useful bits needed for this too.  Hoping to make a bit of time to finish the track and look at a couple of wagons soon.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Work involves a fair amount of driving around, while doing so I'm often on the look out for useful buildings or scenes that might suit this or future layouts.  In Wigan today I spotted this place while sitting in traffic I know, it's a long way from Bloxwich) .

post-6677-0-29865100-1401826905_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking it might be some use in the front right corner of the layout (opposite side to the pub) as a view blocker at that end of the layout.  It would have to be in low relief, so you'd see the side (with bricked up windows) alongside the railway and part of the back.  Need to work out some dimensions, it might be a bit big/over powering.

• Like 2

Work involves a fair amount of driving around, while doing so I'm often on the look out for useful buildings or scenes that might suit this or future layouts.  In Wigan today I spotted this place while sitting in traffic I know, it's a long way from Bloxwich) .

attachicon.gifWP_20140603_001.jpg

I'm thinking it might be some use in the front right corner of the layout (opposite side to the pub) as a view blocker at that end of the layout.  It would have to be in low relief, so you'd see the side (with bricked up windows) alongside the railway and part of the back.  Need to work out some dimensions, it might be a bit big/over powering.

Question is, would that look right if it was modelled?

• RMweb Premium

Is that a former Chapel? It looks like it may have been one...whatever its still a good example of the mundane but slightly different skool of arkitecture :)

No idea of its origins, but agree it certainly has the look of a chapel.

More I think about it, the more convinced I am that it's too big for the site I have in mind.

I've also got my eye on a chip shop in Lichfield as an alternative.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...