Fryers Lane - Speedlink in the '80s (P4)

Mark Forrest

• RMweb Premium

it doesn't take long and it's well worth it.

The look of the lower ballast is great !!

Agree, it does look better, however my "research" (i.e.trawling of Flickr) suggests that ballast to the sleeper tops would be more typical, particularly in the sidings; for example:

https://flic.kr/p/fjE7t4

or

https://flic.kr/p/amLLoR

Same is probably true on the mainline too:

https://flic.kr/p/7HYwTV (look, Roarer on the clayliner)

or

https://flic.kr/p/9ZCP93

• Like 1

I have to disagree with your disagreement. Haha. Its far more typical that ballast is upto the sleeper tops, low ballast does exist but its the minority. Mainlines always have a proper depth of ballast to support the track correctly (or should) and as those pics show, typically small yards are buried in an almost solid old compacted ballast/ground again upto the sleeper tops. In model form this looks best as low ballast tends to look like track plonked on top of ballast train set style rather than track as an imbedded integral part of the scenery.

Edited by RBE

Fair enough but you find me a pic of excessively proud sleepers and Ill find you 500 that arent. My philosophy is always model the typical because it will then look right. Modelling the least common case whether you have pics to prove it will always jar with the onlooker. If you have to pull pics to prove something right then your already behind.

I know the places you mean but there are as many if not more back of little used sidings so buried in terraforma that you can barely tell theres a track there. If he wants to do some exposed sleepers at the end of his siding great but I think it would look odd on the rest of the layout especially on the main line and adjacent spur. These areas would certainly be sufficiently ballasted to cover those webs.

Edited by RBE

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

I think I'll try a couple of short lengths of track with and without the webbing removed.  I think the majority of the layout will have ballast to the top of the sleepers, but I'm a bit concerned that the web might show through the ballast or that covering it while keeping a gap between the top of the ballast and the bottom of the rail will be tricky.  Thanks for bringing this up, it was something I'd not thought about.

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

I think I'll try a couple of short lengths of track with and without the webbing removed.  I think the majority of the layout will have ballast to the top of the sleepers, but I'm a bit concerned that the web might show through the ballast or that covering it while keeping a gap between the top of the ballast and the bottom of the rail will be tricky.  Thanks for bringing this up, it was something I'd not thought about.

You would have no problem covering the web. Your sleepers are quite deep and the web as a result quite far down. I used SMP on Outon Road and still covered them easily while maintaining a gap under the rail and their sleepers are only about 1mm thick overall! The pic below is how it turned out.

post-6894-0-64324900-1397199546.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nice plan Mark, but an unusual length, sort of a bit Stephensonian waggonway in concept?

Why not go the full monte and add another 149mm, or is 1584mm too long for the new motor?

Let me know if you need any fencing and point rodding!

Good grief; BCB gets to a completed state and you all go bonkers building new layouts. You did a cracking job on Foundry Lane, no.2 will be a cracker too I'm sure.

If you need any buildings, give me a shout mate :D

Er, how many caravans would you like ? :mosking:

• RMweb Premium

Er, how many caravans would you like ? :mosking:

Not sure I'll have room for any; Brunel was right 4'8.5" isn't big enough!

Meanwhile, photos of ballast taken on my trip to Wakefield today:

post-6677-0-68065300-1397322126_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-97523400-1397322152_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-65415400-1397322159_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-09764600-1397322169_thumb.jpg

Out of curiosity; any idea what this is the remains of (on the way into Sheffield from the Derby direction, out the back of B&Q):

post-6677-0-85546100-1397322140_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-29836900-1397322362_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looks like an old run of railings to me. Cut off to the ground.

Not easy to tell from the photo, but they look a bit more sturdy/substantial than railings, I think

The B & Q is on what was the old Queens Road Goods yard if that is of any help about the mystery picture......

That makes sense, I wondered if it supported a canopy over a siding, maybe alongside a goods shed or warehouse.