DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

slightly smaller, say a 16" Hunslet. Or, a big Barclay 18" side tank. I'd guess here are many that could be scanned or measured.

If Dave wants to make a serious model, it could be a fully working 'Rivet Counter Detector Van'. It would glow bright green, when a knowledgeable person would indicate that Firestone only made that model in 1964, and it should be on crossply tyres....  

Oh! The fun! The drama!

Ian

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As a serious proposal I would suggest the LBSC E2 as a money maker.

As a small tank engine it would be suitable for anything from the smallest micro layout as a shunter to the largest layout as a station pilot. Some were also fitted with extended tanks to give detail differences for multiple models and purchaces. The model could be produced in a range of liveries from pre grouping to BR black. Models can be produced in N to O to maximise the use of the research and CAD and save a bit of money at your end.

N gauge.

No regular size 0-6-0 available and would be an ideal companion to the Dapol terrier. A simple 0-6-0 chassis with a body big enough for a DCC socket. Again no DCC ready southern 0-6-0 tank engine available. In the event the Bachmann E4 was shrunk this would also contribute to interest and sales. A southern tank engine is needed and would do well. Multiple liveries available

00 gauge.

Again no southern 0-6-0 to modern standards. A multitude of southern models to compliment it including LBSC specific models. An ideal companion for the E4 and the H2. Room in the body for the latest DCC sockets and sound options. Pre grouping liveries available to match existing models increasing the range of potential sales.

O gauge.

A small 0-6-0 locomotive to compliment the Dapol terrier currently available. O gauge rtr seems to be on the up and a small tank engine would fit the micro layouts or more extensive club layouts. A range of suitable rtr wagons available. Plenty of room for DCC sockets, sound, heavy chassis and lighting effects. Pre grouping liveries available for the larger core of modellers of this era in O due to the shorter length of coaches. If priced competitively impulse buys could be forthcoming.

That's were I'd put my money anyway ;)

It's a pity we haven't got a box shifting model shop in the North East. The likes of Rails or Hatton's. If we did they would certainly have commissioned a 4mm J27 by now.

Can't believe there isn't one out there already.

Bob 

• Like 2

As a serious proposal I would suggest the LBSC E2 as a money maker.

As a small tank engine it would be suitable for anything from the smallest micro layout as a shunter to the largest layout as a station pilot. Some were also fitted with extended tanks to give detail differences for multiple models and purchaces. The model could be produced in a range of liveries from pre grouping to BR black. Models can be produced in N to O to maximise the use of the research and CAD and save a bit of money at your end.

N gauge.

No regular size 0-6-0 available and would be an ideal companion to the Dapol terrier. A simple 0-6-0 chassis with a body big enough for a DCC socket. Again no DCC ready southern 0-6-0 tank engine available. In the event the Bachmann E4 was shrunk this would also contribute to interest and sales. A southern tank engine is needed and would do well. Multiple liveries available

00 gauge.

Again no southern 0-6-0 to modern standards. A multitude of southern models to compliment it including LBSC specific models. An ideal companion for the E4 and the H2. Room in the body for the latest DCC sockets and sound options. Pre grouping liveries available to match existing models increasing the range of potential sales.

O gauge.

A small 0-6-0 locomotive to compliment the Dapol terrier currently available. O gauge rtr seems to be on the up and a small tank engine would fit the micro layouts or more extensive club layouts. A range of suitable rtr wagons available. Plenty of room for DCC sockets, sound, heavy chassis and lighting effects. Pre grouping liveries available for the larger core of modellers of this era in O due to the shorter length of coaches. If priced competitively impulse buys could be forthcoming.

That's were I'd put my money anyway ;)

You may want to check the Hattons retail commision page before saying there's no modern standard 4mm Southern Region 0-6-0T, lol, but in all seriousness, te E2 is only imortalized due to that one children's show, the E2s were horrid locos IRL, if we get any modern standard ex-LBSCR 0-6-0T, it should be the Terriors.

It's a pity we haven't got a box shifting model shop in the North East. The likes of Rails or Hatton's. If we did they would certainly have commissioned a 4mm J27 by now.

Bob

Hi Bob

I think there would be more than the J27 would a Johnes good be of interest lol

Thanks

Alan

You may want to check the Hattons retail commision page before saying there's no modern standard 4mm Southern Region 0-6-0T, lol, but in all seriousness, te E2 is only imortalized due to that one children's show, the E2s were horrid locos IRL, if we get any modern standard ex-LBSCR 0-6-0T, it should be the Terriors.

There was a RTR E2 before Thomas was famous. In fact Rev Awdry's model was based on one. Made by Stewart Reidpath in the 1940s. Decades before the "childrens show" was made for TV.

Thomas wasn't even that popular in the 1970s as if it was then surely Hornby would have released the E2 with extended tanks rather than as the first batch.

I don't know what was so horrible about them either? They done their job which was a medium sized shunter based on the Midland 3Fs, and lasted nearly to the end of steam on the Southern. Only being replaced by dieselization in the 1960s.

Jason

Bob 

Isn't Rails in the North East?

It is to most of the country anyway.  ;)

Jason

I don't live in most of the country. Just the North East bit.

Rails is in the South for me  :no:

Almost everywhere is south.

And the Hatton's shop, it's even been suggested that it's in the North. Ha!

It's about two and a half hours in the wrong direction.

Edited by RBAGE

• RMweb Gold

There was a RTR E2 before Thomas was famous. In fact Rev Awdry's model was based on one. Made by Stewart Reidpath in the 1940s. Decades before the "childrens show" was made for TV.

Thomas wasn't even that popular in the 1970s as if it was then surely Hornby would have released the E2 with extended tanks rather than as the first batch.

I don't know what was so horrible about them either? They done their job which was a medium sized shunter based on the Midland 3Fs, and lasted nearly to the end of steam on the Southern. Only being replaced by dieselization in the 1960s.

Jason

Trix did an E2 also, though IIRC theirs didn't look all that much like an E2. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

OO Gauge

Southern tank locos? For me (in order of preference), W, G6, E1R, H16, Z. 

Southern tender classes? (no particular order), 0395, H15, D15, D1/E1. 

O Gauge:

LSWR/Beyer Peacock "Ilfracombe Goods" 0-6-0. LSWR/Beyer Peacock "0330" 0-6-0ST.

Either/both would be irresistible plus a 7mm version of the Road Van already under development in OO, please.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

One thing that is missing from the current OO accessory supplies is a working LNER/BR standard fluorescent "sausage on a stick" lamp.  I know that whilst Dave builds up his business he's more likely to focus on rolling stock, but the cocktail sausage lamp was around for many years, having first been pioneered by the LNER albeit larger and on concrete poles.  There is a German lookey-likey in the Brawa range but it is too short for a BR lamp.  They are not easy to make as a working lamp, or to adapt from existing ranges, yet were incredibly long lived and cover steam through to near contemporary periods.  Modern LED technology can pretty accurately represent fluorescent tubes, more so than the older grain of wheat lights, and I think a good, easy to use working version would be a good, steady seller.

​There's a lot of Chinese made working LED lights out there that are based on more modern road based prototypes, I wonder if a "Chinese whisper" with one of these manufacturers might get something made at relatively low risk?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't reckon Dave needs to make anything...

If you want a model, get a crowd of you together...

Pay Dave to mention that you're making product X, Y, or Z....

Everyone & their dog rushes to make product X, Y, & Z, and cutting out Dave....

Result! We buy the models, and Dave gets to sit on a beach in Hawaii- nice one Dave!

What a business plan!

Here's the best bit. Dave doesn't get the blame for late delivery, wrong colour, wrong rivets, price, scale, or anything else. Even the wrong biscuits on the office tea trolley.

Makes me wish I'd thought of this years ago....

Ian.

How about a 16xx pannier?

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Ok... How about an N gauge 2BIL? Two vehicles to tool, and option for dummy sets to tow and a few liveries to choose from. Ok... Hornby have a 00 model available but there is a gap for a short complete O gauge train.

You could sell them individually powered, in packs as one dummy and one powered and individual dummy sets.

And if you was feeling brave I'm sure the 00 model could be taken on.

I'm sure an N gauge crowd funder would fly once the decks clear. We're crying out for a proper southern electric unit!

• RMweb Gold

Ok... How about an N gauge 2BIL? Two vehicles to tool, and option for dummy sets to tow and a few liveries to choose from. Ok... Hornby have a 00 model available but there is a gap for a short complete O gauge train.

You could sell them individually powered, in packs as one dummy and one powered and individual dummy sets.

And if you was feeling brave I'm sure the 00 model could be taken on.

I'm sure an N gauge crowd funder would fly once the decks clear. We're crying out for a proper southern electric unit!

Or... How about an N gauge 4SUB. Two vehicles to tool, and you can take advantage of the small size of N gauge trains to run long ones.