DJM wish list thread

DJM Dave

Fair points by James and the Johns, I feel.  Probably those who actually have suggestions for DJ Models might view the recent debate as a diversion, but if people are not making suggestions or have given up on wish-lists, it is, perhaps, relevant to hear why!

I don't make suggestions either! 

If the colour and variety of UK pre-Grouping were better supported, I'd probably be modelling that scene.  In fact, I know I would.  I do empathise with those who are effectively forced into modelling the fifties and sixties steam because it's all that's supported by the mainstream hobby.  I confess, I am one of those who just cannot summon up the enthusiasm for BR steam.  My reaction was to take a - pretty daft - left of field decision to look overseas, at the Raj in the Edwardian era.  I say 'daft' because I have not been able to advance research, let alone construction, beyond the very initial stages. 

It does show how far I was prepared to go to avoid so-called mono-period modelling!  It does leave me as one of the offbeat marginalised fringe.  I needn't have been, and didn't particularly want to be.  I could be happy shaking a box with the best of 'em, if only there was something interesting inside!

Earlier periods are not only more varied, but can be more practical.  When even an express locomotive was a 2-4-0 and an express coach was a thirty something six wheeler, you are far more likely to fit a convincing mainline in your loft/shed/garage, without a jack-knifing Mark I in sight! 

RTR has reached the standard and sophistication that can motorise smaller locomotives successfully and capture the detail and ornate liveries.  Where it does, it can be stunning, e.g Blue Box E4 and C class. Pity it doesn't do it more often.  The Stirling Single will be a stunner!

Speaking of coaches for the NRM, it would be nice to do some to go with the Stirling Single. I can think of a few pre-groupers that would fly off the walls that exist there. If the single sells, maybe there will be more commissions.

Looking at DJM in particular though, my first choice vote at this time remains a class 89 electric. Sorry it is more recent, but really feel this iconic prototype is missed.

If I can afford it (!) I will subscribe to a Single, probably the large tender option.  If money were no object, I'd have the small tender option to run with late '30s LNER/ECML stock (yes, I do have some of that boxed up somewhere!).

A train to go with either (the 1938 train used 'period' stock, not modern Gresleys) would surely sell, and no doubt be of all manner of usefulness!

Really, though, what would suit me best is a Single with the splasher cut-outs filled in as the last of the breed were running in the 1900s.  That would be a better choice for me than either 1874 or 1938, but, even if I could afford to, would I dare make changes to such a model?!?

So, yes, I would add to DJ Models', or any other, wish-list, Great Northern 6-wheelers of the 1880s.  These, at least, could not be produced in BR only versions!

Fair points by James and the Johns, I feel.  Probably those who actually have suggestions for DJ Models might view the recent debate as a diversion, but if people are not making suggestions or have given up on wish-lists, it is, perhaps, relevant to hear why!

I don't make suggestions either! 

If the colour and variety of UK pre-Grouping were better supported, I'd probably be modelling that scene.  In fact, I know I would.  I do empathise with those who are effectively forced into modelling the fifties and sixties steam because it's all that's supported by the mainstream hobby.  I confess, I am one of those who just cannot summon up the enthusiasm for BR steam.  My reaction was to take a - pretty daft - left of field decision to look overseas, at the Raj in the Edwardian era.  I say 'daft' because I have not been able to advance research, let alone construction, beyond the very initial stages. 

It does show how far I was prepared to go to avoid so-called mono-period modelling!  It does leave me as one of the offbeat marginalised fringe.  I needn't have been, and didn't particularly want to be.  I could be happy shaking a box with the best of 'em, if only there was something interesting inside!

Earlier periods are not only more varied, but can be more practical.  When even an express locomotive was a 2-4-0 and an express coach was a thirty something six wheeler, you are far more likely to fit a convincing mainline in your loft/shed/garage, without a jack-knifing Mark I in sight! 

RTR has reached the standard and sophistication that can motorise smaller locomotives successfully and capture the detail and ornate liveries.  Where it does, it can be stunning, e.g Blue Box E4 and C class. Pity it doesn't do it more often.  The Stirling Single will be a stunner!

I am conscious that I have indulged in a much broader debate than the question of what DJ Models might be asked to produce, and it is probably the case that the issues have been sufficiently ventilated without the need for more at this stage. 

I do agree with your points and sympathise with your dilemma.  For steam-outline, meaningful choice is concentrated within a single period, though the late '30s modeller is not too badly off, if only because most of the prototype's 're-tooling' had been done by then!

I would make one DJ Models-specific point and, finally, get back squarely on topic.  The Hudswell Clarke.  Can we at least have a pre-WW1 variant?

So far as I can see there is an earlier cab design, which would cover the period c.1889 onwards.  The cab currently planned seems restricted to those built in the inter-war years.  It would be great to have both.  In support of an earlier version, I would add that Hornby's Peckett represents 1890s 'tooling'!

These small industrials had longer lives than most mainline locomotives, so you can still be running 1890s vintage Pecketts and Hudswell Clarkes on your Transition Era layout and, no doubt, beyond.  Further, they did not tend to be rebuilt to a later style during these long years in service.  The cab design dictates from when you can run your Hudswell Clarke, but not to when you can. Whereas, you can't run a 1920s-built Hudswell Clarke round your Edwardian factory/colliery/brewery!

So, this isn't a case where a subsequent rebuild means that the manufacturer cannot sell a model representing an early condition to the mono-period modeller.

It's all about planning for maximum coverage, and I fear it is not done as often as it might be.     

Again, this is likely to prove too expensive, sophisticated and exquisite a model to buy in order to hack about, so it is important for the manufacturer to provide for a range of options.  

I would make one DJ Models-specific point and, finally, get back squarely on topic.  The Hudswell Clarke.  Can we at least have a pre-WW1 variant?

So far as I can see there is an earlier cab design, which would cover the period c.1889 onwards.  The cab currently planned seems restricted to those built in the inter-war years.  It would be great to have both.  In support of an earlier version, I would add that Hornby's Peckett represents 1890s 'tooling'!

And a different smokebox door, and sandboxes above the footplate. Different wheels pre 1904 too I think. Things I have on my mind for my O gauge Ixion one. Do I sell it, knock it about, or live with it?

• 2 weeks later...

I keep seeing the Fell mentioned

As I didnt know what it was, I googled it

That loco takes the expression " a face that only a mother could love" to a new level :derisive: 

Would I want one . Maybe????????????????????

John

• Like 1

One off locos and prototypes are likely to have a very limited uptake and following.  We all need to be more realistic as far as production runs and the associated unit cost.

I'd like to see one of the East & West Yorkshire Union Joint Rly Manning Wardle built 0-6-2ST but that is not going to happen!

Small tank locos, ideal scenario is a universal loco used all over the UK this would be covered by say a Manning Wardle L class 0-6-0ST.  If designed correctly there are cab variations none through to a full cab, WB Wilson/MW style wheels or later ones.  

Larger tank locos would also need to be determined based upon how many were built and areas covered.  The GCR Neasden or even the Metropolitan tanks ran on such a small area compared to some the 2-6-2T's such as the Std 2.

Express locos seem to have been more than covered by others.

Goods engines probably best to find a mixed traffic medium sized loco as even the prototype photos of a black 5 on a single 20T brake van looks out of place.

Diesel shunters most of the common types that operated throughout the UK seem be covered, taking the lead for the Janus there are a few big Hunslet 0-6-0DH built and used by many industries.

Medium and larger locos also seem to be covered.  

Fascinating film, thank you for posting it. I have no idea why the project was abandoned. Apparently, enginemen found it as effective as any other diesel and its withdrawal was as a result of a boiler fire rather than anything to do with the novel engineering.

Perhaps with computer control the running of all six diesel engines could be evened out but in those days maintaining all six engines, each doing different amounts of work, might have required too much attention.

The film shows all the driving wheels coupled. The internal drive was to the two central wheelsets and It was found that the central coupling rods were in conflict with the internal gearing, so they were removed.

It’s a shame that Heljan stopped producing experimental locomotives. I’d love a model of one of these.

Fascinating film, thank you for posting it. I have no idea why the project was abandoned. Apparently, enginemen found it as effective as any other diesel and its withdrawal was as a result of a boiler fire rather than anything to do with the novel engineering.

Perhaps with computer control the running of all six diesel engines could be evened out but in those days maintaining all six engines, each doing different amounts of work, might have required too much attention.

The film shows all the driving wheels coupled. The internal drive was to the two central wheelsets and It was found that the central coupling rods were in conflict with the internal gearing, so they were removed.

It’s a shame that Heljan stopped producing experimental locomotives. I’d love a model of one of these.

Perhaps the fact it had a unique transmission, coupled with 6 engines was part of the reasons. 6x the maintenance costs potentially perhaps. A novel approach, but probably deemed unsuited compared to more conventional methods being brought into use when it was withdrawn?

A class 319 in OO gauge (as it doesn't seem that Bachmann have any plans to upscale their N gauge one)

Perhaps they are waiting to see how their (presumably) low height drive works/is regarded in the updated OO Class 158.

Regards. Nick

A class 319 in OO gauge (as it doesn't seem that Bachmann have any plans to upscale their N gauge one)

It is more likely they're waiting until the N gauge one is actually out and seeing how it sells. It would be rather risky of DJM to go with a 319 in OO with Bachmann having the potential to have it ready (without us knowing) and guzumping him on it.

It is more likely they're waiting until the N gauge one is actually out and seeing how it sells. It would be rather risky of DJM to go with a 319 in OO with Bachmann having the potential to have it ready (without us knowing) and guzumping him on it.

Yes, and didn't Bachmann announce a change of policy to announce new models just before they are produced - around Jan - Feb time each year.

I'd forgotten Bachmann haven't produced the N gauge 319 - I assumed it was out when I saw the mention of upscaling their N gauge one.

Regards

Nick (just running in a rather noisy new Bachmann 2-EPB before measuring its current draw).

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone mentioned Western Manor and 6300. Mogul?

In which scale?

Given that Dave is risking his own money it takes quite a bit of time to get from design to production.

My wish list would be for the following, all in N gauge:

•Binliner containers (now that Revolution will be making the appropriate flats for them)

•323 (they have carried several liveries and run around Greater Manchester, Crewe and the West Midlands)

•304/305/308/504 (all externally very similar)

I can dream!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Never heard of this - what was it? Googled and couldn't find any info!

Try this. I cannot believe I looked something up to do with the Late & Never Early Railway. Going away now to give myself a good talking to. Ridiculous railway....

http://www.lner.info/co/EWYUR/

Rob.