• RMweb Gold

The masts for the Two track cantilevers and most portals are very very similar, at least for the new design - I notice some older style ones creeping in to the pictures at Reading! 

Not just 'some' they're all over the place around Reading including mixed in among the new portal structures between New Jcn and Kennet Bridge.  Add to that the headspan which has been used in the new sidings immediately west of the station and it looks like it will almost be a life story of British mainline electrification structures :scratchhead:

• Like 1

For the first time in a while I've had chance to see how the work's progressing in South Wales.

The new IEP depot building in Swansea has been erected - there also appears to be a large new footbridge close to Llandore.

A temporary footbridge has been built at Port Talbot.

A new pseuso-GWR bridge has appeared at Bridgend.

It was too dark to see much after that!

....I did read a somewhere that there was a rumour that NR are looking into increasing capacity between Oxford Road and Southcote junctions, with possibly another line?

I don't know how much credence can be put on that story though?

.....And yes Ron, I'm sure I saw something somewhere a good time back about possibly adding a  third line between Reading West station and Southcote Junction - although they will have to move a few new structures etc if that is intended.

Not electrification, but going back to this matter.

The newly published draft Western Route Study (n.b. Route Studies have replaced the RUS's) mentions the future capacity issues between Reading station and Southcote Junction.

A proposal put forward for consideration for CP6, is to provide grade separation at Southcote Junction and a third bi-directional line between there and Oxford Road Junction.

Reading West station will need to be relocated from its present location.

Back to electrification...

The same Western Route Study includes a lengthy list of further electrification proposals within the region for CP6 and beyond.

Future Electrification proposals

In the July 2012 HLOS, the DfT indicated that it wished the industry to develop a ‘rolling programme’ of electrification into the future to provide capability for electric traction on a significant proportion of the national rail network.

Expansion of the electrified network would reduce rail industry costs and cut carbon emissions through the creation of an electrified route to link the core centres of population and economic activity.

Electrification could also provide additional benefits including gauge clearance for large containers and faster journey times for passenger and freight trains.

Network Rail, on behalf of the rail industry, will be publishing a ‘refreshed’ Route Utilisation Strategy for Electrification in 2015, to outline the priorities for future electrification from 2019.

The strategy will prioritise routes for further development based primarily on the density of diesel-operated traffic which could be converted to electric operation through the provision of electrification.

It will also consider options that may be worthy of further investigation in light of other factors. These could include, for example, whether an option would allow more efficient usage of the existing electrified network by reducing diesel running on electrified sections of the route, or by providing a diversionary route, or where there are synergies with rolling stock replacement, or other enhancement schemes.

For the Western Route, schemes identified for potential further consideration as part of the Electrification Strategy are anticipated to be:

A cross country package of options comprising:

- Bromsgrove to Westerleigh Junction (Bristol Parkway) including the Worcester loop and spurs to Worcester Foregate Street and Gloucester.

​- Severn tunnel junction to Gloucester.

- Swindon to Cheltenham Spa.

A Chilterns, Birmingham Snow Hill and Malverns' package of options, including:

- Chiltern Main Line, including diversionary routes between West Ealing/Hanwell Junctions and Greenford South and West Junctions.

- Worcester Foregate Street to Hereford.

A Southwest package comprising electrification between:

- Bristol Temple Meads and Weston-super-Mare.

- Weston-super-Mare and Plymouth and Paignton, including the Exmouth branch

- between Newbury and Taunton, linking with the Bristol – Plymouth route and including the diversionary routes between Westbury and Bathampton/Thingley Junctions, and between Castle Cary and Exeter St Davids via Yeovil Junction

- possible onwards extension from Plymouth to Penzance 

A Wessex package of:

Basingstoke to Exeter St Davids

Westbury to Redbridge and Eastleigh.

Electrification of the lines listed below has also been identified for further consideration by freight operators: 

- Filton Junctions – Avonmouth

- Bristol West Junction – Portbury Docks. 

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

• RMweb Gold

............Back to electrification...

The same Western Route Study includes a lengthy list of further electrification proposals within the region for CP6 and beyond.

I never thought that I'd ever see that in future proposals, however 'possible' they might be.

....wires to Plymouth..... :O

Edited by Re6/6

• RMweb Gold

I never thought that I'd ever see that in future proposals, however 'possible' they might be.

....wires to Plymouth..... :O

In any other European country, the frequency of trains to Plymouth would be considered to be at a level that amply justifies electrification. And the South Devon banks add to the case.

Still wonder how they think they will install catenary along the sea wall at Dawlish.

• Like 2

Still wonder how they think they will install catenary along the sea wall at Dawlish.

Nobody has managed a sensible answer yet on why Scottish science seemingly can handle it but English science apparently can't - did we agree to change physics as part of devolution? ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=saltcoats+train+storm+wave&biw=1280&bih=911&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ZWRTVLGAKbOQ7AaYvoDYCg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&safe=active&ssui=on

Anyhow - Exmouth! Blimey. ;)

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Nobody has managed a sensible answer yet on why Scottish science seemingly can handle it but English science apparently can't - did we agree to change physics as part of devolution? ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=saltcoats+train+storm+wave&biw=1280&bih=911&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ZWRTVLGAKbOQ7AaYvoDYCg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&safe=active&ssui=on

Anyhow - Exmouth! Blimey. ;)

Interesting photos. Seems that it can be done so long as one uses strong enough supports and close enough together.

To be honest, I don't think the strength of the supports and there closeness together would be a problem as far as water is concerned - even quite a large deposit of spray is unlikely to have as much effect as a large gust of wind, although admittedly the chances are that they would both occur together and the wind would be strong and necessitate close supports anyway!  All it is is an awful lot of water droplets close together, which due to the air gaps between them do not offer a path to earth.  The worst problem would be if salt were to build up on the insulators, this would reduce the resistance to earth and might cause a flashover. But the salt would be washed off any time it rained anyway. Maintenance would have to pay particular attention to greasing and corrosion which would be adversely affected, probably an increased maintenance and inspection frequency too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To be honest, I don't think the strength of the supports and there closeness together would be a problem as far as water is concerned - even quite a large deposit of spray is unlikely to have as much effect as a large gust of wind, although admittedly the chances are that they would both occur together and the wind would be strong and necessitate close supports anyway!  All it is is an awful lot of water droplets close together, which due to the air gaps between them do not offer a path to earth.  The worst problem would be if salt were to build up on the insulators, this would reduce the resistance to earth and might cause a flashover. But the salt would be washed off any time it rained anyway. Maintenance would have to pay particular attention to greasing and corrosion which would be adversely affected, probably an increased maintenance and inspection frequency too.

Along that stretch of railway (and at Saltcoats), one gets more than a bit of spray. It is whole waves crashing down on the train roof. And, as you say, that is always combined with a strong onshore wind.

When I travelled through Dawlish early one December morning, large pebbles were being thrown against the train and breaking windows.

An interesting document detailing proposed changes to the Enhancements Delivery Plan suggests Reading-Basingstoke electrification has been moved from the Electric Spine to the Thames Valley Branches programme.

W003/ ES003 – Thames Valley Branches Electrification/ Electric Spine Development Programme

This request is to update the entry to add the Reading to Basingstoke scope into this

project. We welcome the visibility that this will give as it is removed from the Electric Spine

project and note the aspiration for an earlier delivery. You have also changed the delivery

milestone to the entry into service date which makes it clear that the infrastructure will be

available before the timetable change that was previously shown as the milestone. We

approve this change.

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I can see why there is a question mark against the Severn Tunnel route. Clearances? You can sometimes lower the track, but I would have thought not for the Severn Tunnel.

The Severn Tunnel is included in the Paddington - Cardiff/Swansea scheme underway now (i believe it might be done using a more substantial conductor than normal contact wire - send for Titan, again).  Gloucester to STJcn would be presumably, and logically with Swindon- Gloucester, as a diversionary route plus a link to the Midlands.

An interesting document detailing proposed changes to the Enhancements Delivery Plan suggests Reading-Basingstoke electrification has been moved from the Electric Spine to the Thames Valley Branches programme.

W003/ ES003 – Thames Valley Branches Electrification/ Electric Spine Development Programme

This request is to update the entry to add the Reading to Basingstoke scope into this

project. We welcome the visibility that this will give as it is removed from the Electric Spine

project and note the aspiration for an earlier delivery. You have also changed the delivery

milestone to the entry into service date which makes it clear that the infrastructure will be

available before the timetable change that was previously shown as the milestone. We

approve this change.

Chris

Another thread elsewhere mentioned the possibility of a flying junction at Southcote and a third track between Oxford Road and Southcote junctions.

Wouldn't it be better to get that done before electrification?

Not electrification, but going back to this matter.

The newly published draft Western Route Study (n.b. Route Studies have replaced the RUS's) mentions the future capacity issues between Reading station and Southcote Junction.

A proposal put forward for consideration for CP6, is to provide grade separation at Southcote Junction and a third bi-directional line between there and Oxford Road Junction.

Reading West station will need to be relocated from its present location.

Back to electrification...

In imbedded quote:

Electrification of the lines listed below has also been identified for further consideration by freight operators: 

- Filton Junctions – Avonmouth

- Bristol West Junction – Portbury Docks. 

In the case of the second listed, could they not also add the extra 2 miles to any new station at Portishead?

Another thread elsewhere mentioned the possibility of a flying junction at Southcote and a third track between Oxford Road and Southcote junctions.

Wouldn't it be better to get that done before electrification?

They could have to wait some time and the sooner the wires go up the better IMO, though that section surely falls under the GWML programme (Reading-Newbury) anyway.

Chris

Edited by Christopher125

Looks like things are at last speeding up, with  regards to the electrification work with Network Rail sending out letters to people leaving near the railway advising us of the potential noise over the coming weeks see below . I thought this was a nice touch I live about 200 trades from the GWML and it is in a cutting near me so not a big issue!post-9506-0-37528400-1415138763_thumb.jpg  post-9506-0-78843700-1415138779_thumb.jpeg

XF

• Like 1

Looks like things are at last speeding up, with  regards to the electrification work with Network Rail sending out letters to people leaving near the railway advising us of the potential noise over the coming weeks see below . I thought this was a nice touch I live about 200 trades from the GWML and it is in a cutting near me so not a big issue!attachicon.gifGWR Electrification NR 2014 1.jpg  attachicon.gifGWR Electrification NR 2014 2.jpeg

XF

I think we should be getting out of the EU ASAP - not only are they messing about with many aspects of our lives, they now have introduced a new measurement system without our knowledge or authorisation... :no: :butcher:

• RMweb Premium

Thought we were back to olde english, aren't there 17 trades to a furlong? ;)

Nah, measure everything in rods poles and perch's and use hogsheads for volumes.   I love the scale on old railway survey maps of 2 chains to an inch.  Explaining that to a youngster brought up on metric is interesting.

Jamie

• Like 3