Decorated Samples of Class 101

Nobby (John)

A new edition to my layout today: a weathered Bachmann 101 in blue/grey livery.  I have followed this thread closely and the issues raised with the model, but upon seeing it in the cabinet at the Peterborough show a few weeks ago, I was very happy with it. 

A couple of unedited shots:

post-17625-0-06629000-1415388244_thumb.jpg

post-17625-0-08487000-1415388250_thumb.jpg

And an edited one:

post-17625-0-92953500-1415388235_thumb.jpg

Anyone tried changing the destination on the destination blind or is it just going to be easier placing the transfer on the front over it?

The plastic glazing, which is printed on the inside, can be pushed out from the inside after removing the light unit (small screws have to be removed and a bit of gentle brute force applied).

You can then carefully scrape the printing off the glazing with a thumbnail and insert a new printed destination blind and push it back into the body.

After reading through this whole thread and taking advice from people elsewhere (including seeing BR(S)'s photo of his) I went off to our local model shop, which said it had both makes in stock.

They only had the SPT livery for the Hornby/Lima one, but I did use it as a quality comparison to the Bachmann one and both had their good and bad points, as many people here have debated/argued.

My decision was really made by them only having Bachmann in stock, but the overall reasons that I would probably have gone Bachmann anyway:

- Sprung buffers

- commonality of mechanics with 105 unit

- finer front beam detailing.

Thanks to all for the.... educational and entertaining debate to read!

(newly restarted modeller, 22 year holiday)

• RMweb Gold

Wonderful - I need them for East Anglia myself. Hopefully they will be developed. Thank you!

Hopefully the green four light versions will have the cream stripes above and below the windows, as the 79xxx metcamms seem to have lost the 'toplight'stipe livery when they got yellow panels. This only applies to the ER 79xxx as the LM versions kept the original style

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Just  thoughts about the stripes on the green liveried 101's. The blue square sets of the NER of BR, by the mid '60's, certainly had, in a number of cases, a re-paint into the two stripe green livery - it always seemed to make them look somewhat 'fatter'!

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Gold

I've just noticed that there is clearly a "load X tonnes evenly distributed" right next to the DRIVER'S door.

Has anyone else got this as well? It seems a bit silly to load 1 tonne of stuff into a tiny cab when there's a guards compartment 57' back.

Hi. I believe it is one of those errors that have got through the system. Removal of it by using, carefully, the tip of a cocktail stick, and placing the 'load X tonnes' in the correct place, with a suitable transfer, will sort it out.

The first batch of class 108's had a similar error with the running number on one side of the body incorrectly positioned(the blue and grey set, circa 2006). Having got one of these sets, this was the way that I corrected the error.

All the best,

Market65.

Thanks Market65

I was in my local shop today trying to find combinations of ballast and glue that work for me and there was a used 108 sitting on the shelf all on its lonesome, so I had to have that (would be rude not to) so I will have a good look at it later and compare, but on face value it seems to be a better looker than the 101.

It is interesting to see the differences in the 101,105,108 all from the same maker.

This 108 has small headcodes, which if I understand correctly these were the earlier Bachmann model but in reality, were the second batch of real 108's. Is that correct?

Thanks
Derek

Hello Derek

I was very impressed with the 108s when first issued.

Thanks Market65

... on face value it seems to be a better looker than the 101.

This 108 has small headcodes, which if I understand correctly these were the earlier Bachmann model but in reality, were the second batch of real 108's. Is that correct?

Thanks

Derek

15114353943_4137c26413_c.jpg

Bachmann Class 108 (Three car)

I think you are correct saying that the small destination blind was the first Bachmann two car 108. Bachmann's second offering (two car again) had a large head code box in place of the destination blind. With the Class 101 units the first in service prototypes did not have a route number below the front windows and had an extra roof light above the destination blind. Others on RMweb will have to say how the earliest Class 108 appeared.

4031091481_ac1ebaa9d9_o.jpg

Early Class 101 units at Darlington

Regards Ray

I think it depended which works repainted them which i would have thought NER and ER sets would have been Doncaster

York also repainted some ER and NER units.

The 108s all had the two character route blind and two marker lights, until the advent of the four character alpha numeric indicator boxes for the LMR twins.

Regards

Al Taylor

Cheers Silver Sidelines, the green livery looks pretty good. I didn't realise they did it in a 3 car version. Now that solves a problem with the twin 101- as there are examples of one class 'borrowing' trailers from another one. Of course, the area I'm doing didn't get well noted for 108's (NER- Darlington area funny enough), but what the hell- it's a good looking unit.

45125- I am resisting to ask the difference between a 107 and 108....

BTW has anyone noticed that the Bachmann 105 engines are  4 cylinder units.... I don't think it'd go very fast if the real ones were so fitted.

Completely different body profiles...

The profile was much flatter.  The engine mountings (107s had visibly lower slung power units), seating, construction materials (107s were steel), window positioning (107s started higher up the bodyside), brake compartments and weight also differed.  I understand the class 108 was a development of the original "Derby Lightweight", whereas the class 107 "Derby Heavyweight" was essentially a new design, although class 108s were built prior to, concurrently with and post the 1960 class 107 builds.  Interestingly, the later class 108s shared the underframe (as opposed to bodyside) cooller filler cap of the class 107.  I don't think the 107s made it out of Scotland in normal revenue earning service.

Alun

Guest G567281

Cheers Silver Sidelines, the green livery looks pretty good. I didn't realise they did it in a 3 car version. Now that solves a problem with the twin 101- as there are examples of one class 'borrowing' trailers from another one. Of course, the area I'm doing didn't get well noted for 108's (NER- Darlington area funny enough), but what the hell- it's a good looking unit.

45125- I am resisting to ask the difference between a 107 and 108....

BTW has anyone noticed that the Bachmann 105 engines are  4 cylinder units.... I don't think it'd go very fast if the real ones were so fitted.

Hi Derek,

101/108 combinations (split sets) two car and three car units worked the Stainmore Route and Middlesbrough/Scarborough route. With speed whiskers and small yellow warning panels. 108 three car units worked the Guisborough service on occasion together with 101's and 104's. Also through services to Newcastle. Hope this helps. Best regards. Alan

Hi Derek

An interesting question

.... Now that solves a problem with the twin 101- as there are examples of one class 'borrowing' trailers from another one. Of course, the area I'm doing didn't get well noted for 108's (NER- Darlington area funny enough),

I grew up on Teesside and only have memories of the Metro Cammel  Class 101 units.  They went everyhere, Darlington, Whitby, Newcastle.  Bachmann have made two versions of their 3 car 108 sets, both with Middlesbrough / Scarborough destination blinds.  I have lines through through the numbers of the Bachmann models in my Ian Allen book, so the 108 units must have been around.  The comments from GF567281 are particularly interesting as the only picture that I have of a 3 car unit shows the set leaving Great Ayton for Scarborough with a Class 101 trailer car. Who would know what the centre car was!

4031091641_7a68513a1e_o.jpg

Regards Ray

Alun,

it just shows how the hobby has changed since I was last involved nearly 1/4 century ago (22-23 years?) - back then the few hand made (I think this was PRE DCK) examples of 107/108 could be differentiated by number only.

Alan,

Thank you- all information is always useful. When you say Middlesborough to Scarborough- I take it you mean via Saltburn and the coast road?

Ray,

Great Ayton to Scarborough? Now that's got me puzzled. What route would it have taken? Or do you mean it's a Whitby service and that stock is then diagrammed to run a Whitby Scarborough service afterwards (or was the service advertised as Scarborough as a through service, despite the two changes of direction?)

I am modelling Whitby in P4 (yes I know there's much to learn first- hence my "somewhere on sea" test plank under construction now)- I don't suppose you know Whitby station well by any chance do you, being in the area?

Hello Derek

Ray,
Great Ayton to Scarborough? Now that's got me puzzled. What route would it have taken? Or do you mean it's a Whitby service and that stock is then diagrammed to run a Whitby Scarborough service afterwards (or was the service advertised as Scarborough as a through service, despite the two changes of direction?)

I am modelling Whitby in P4 (yes I know there's much to learn first- hence my "somewhere on sea" test plank under construction now)- I don't suppose you know Whitby station well by any chance do you, being in the area?

I have copied the two pages that make up Table 34, the 1961 / 62 Timetable for the Middlesbrough to Scarborough service.  That should help.

Table 34a:  https://flic.kr/p/q1WGZX

Table 34b:  https://flic.kr/p/pJFRzM

By 1961 the coast line via Sandsend had closed along with Whitby West Cliff Station. Trains reversed at Battersby, Whitby Town and then finally at the site of the old Whitby West Cliff Station before crossing the River Esk viaduct for the final leg of the journey to Scarborough. We left Middlesbrough to go to college at the end of the '60s and never really returned - so cannot help much with Whitby Station. Go onto Flickr and search for Whitby Station - you might be pleasantly surprised.

Regards

Ray

Thanks Ray

So they advertised it as a through service- which I suppose if it's the same unit(s) then that's perfectly reasonable.

Believe me I have looked at all sorts of websites for photo's of Whitby using all sorts of search terms (rail station, railway station, train station (americanism!) ) and have well over 100 photos and artifacts now- including drawings probably close on 200. There are only a couple of very small parts that I don't know (and if I haven't found them out, no one will... except those who were there at the time as regular passengers or railway crews)

Would it be OK for me to download those timetables? I want to keep a 'scrap book' of all my research.

Many thanks
Derek

(ps sorry for hijacking the thread)

Hello again Derek

.Would it be OK for me to download those timetables? I want to keep a 'scrap book' of all my research.

I do believe they are in the public domain and there should be a tab to allow you to download the original size.

Good hunting

Regards

Ray

PS I do admire the detail that you P4 modellers go to.  I no longer have the patience and need to see something up and running much faster.

Hi Russ,

I have now managed to get most of it, but the following are still a bit mysterious:

1. The cattle dock area

2. The look of the coal yard East of the station (I have a track plan- but it's oddly 4ft below the station... is the station on an upward incline or the yard down (I suspect the latter)

3. The buildings (wooden+1 brick) at the SE side of the main station building.

4. What was Langbourne road really like after you go past the old shacks about adjacent to the end of the old platform 4.

They are really only nit picking issues for me now. 1 I think I have a rough idea from photos and maps. 2. I can guess. 3. Still bits hidden in the maze of lean to's, but I think I can work it out. And 4. Just a mess.

Considering I only came back to modellling 6 weeks ago, I'm pretty pleased with my research on the rest- with great thanks to many people here with advice.

Thanks Ray

I am not actually a P4 modeller- yet. I have been out of this for 22 approx years and never before other than a very basic level. But I have a personal reason for wanting to do this now and usually when I decide to do something...

But I am a long way off classing myself as P4. I think there will be much blood, sweat, swearing and disposed components before then.

• RMweb Gold

The only item I can really help you with is that there was a slight gradient into the yard, if you watch the film 'brakevan to Whitby' there is footage of a freight going into the yard and the loco is 'chopped off' on the move and the wagons continue into the yard but at a speed that it must be on a gradient.

What ere are you modelling?

Archived