Decorated Samples of Class 101

Nobby (John)

Although a little o/t and I don't know if this actually applies to all units, but why were trailer cars fitted with smaller buffers than the driving/motor cars? I can understand the outer cabs needing larger buffers for the forces during regular coupling etc, but (if that is actually the reason driving/power were so fitted) why are the inner ends large buffers- is there a rule that says they need to be the same size at one end as the other? Just seems a little odd to make them smaller for TC's.

(pointless observation #37 of the day)

I am not overly familiar with Scarborough, but I am assuming that about 50 or so yards in front of the camera would be the portal for running up to Whitby and Saltburn? and slightly to the left would be the additional platforms for holiday traffic???

Wandering off topic for a mo...

This pic may make things a little clearer.

You can see the bricked up portal between the station sign and signal box. The other side of the bridge parapet can be seen behind the A4 on the extreme right with the main station buildings beyond.

Porcys useless fact of the day-No. #3,456:

The A4 is parked adjacent to where the worlds longest seat begins.

post-508-0-02976400-1421689390.jpg

P

Thanks to Porcy Mane for linking in this picture.

Sort of like this?

My 1960 Ian Allan ABC guide has Metro Cammell M51558 as a Motor Composite (L) part of a 'Twin Unit'', M51558 - 60 are a group of three twin unit vehicles sandwiched between larger groups of Metro Cammel 3/4 units and Derby Works 'Twins'.

Regards

Ray

Wandering off topic for a mo...

This pic may make things a little clearer.

You can see the bricked up portal between the station sign and signal box. The other side of the bridge parapet can be seen behind the A4 on the extreme right with the main station buildings beyond.

Porcys useless fact of the day-No. #3,456:

The A4 is parked adjacent to where the worlds longest seat begins.

attachicon.gifScarbFalsgraveEdit.jpg

P

Didn't the line through the tunnel survive for quite a few years after closure in order to serve a coal yard...?

EDIT: Gallows Close:-

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?serial=2&img=Y-277-36

Hello,

I was interested in the allocations of the 111 buffet cars later.  A picture of 59577 has been posted at Dundee in September 1979, but I know 59575 was at the K&WVR from 1973.

I found some of my pocket books and according to the 1972 RCTS, all 6 were still in service, 59574 and and 59578 at Bradford and the rest at South Gosforth.  In the 1978 RCTS, only 59574, 59577 and 59578 remain, all at South Gosforth, the buffets out of use.  I have a 1980 Platform 5 somewhere, for the life of me I can't find it, but by 1982, unsurprisingly there were none left.

I hope that's of use to those who like the colour blue.

Alun

*** EDIT - why do I only notice the typos after I click 'Post'? ***

Although a little o/t and I don't know if this actually applies to all units, but why were trailer cars fitted with smaller buffers than the driving/motor cars? I can understand the outer cabs needing larger buffers for the forces during regular coupling etc, but (if that is actually the reason driving/power were so fitted) why are the inner ends large buffers- is there a rule that says they need to be the same size at one end as the other? Just seems a little odd to make them smaller for TC's.

(pointless observation #37 of the day)

The inner and outer ends had the same size buffers, not always the same type later on. Some Derby heavyweight did have ovals on the outer end with standard oleos on the inner ends. 

Not all units remained in fixed formations, unlike emus. 

Al Taylor

I guess you shouldn't rely on what Bachmann have to offer but their Class 108s have larger buffers than their Class 105 models.  I know because I had to modify the close coupling arrangement that I had provided for the Class 108s to prevent buffer locking with the smaller buffers on the Class 105.  Now might that be a problem with the prototypes?

Ray

• RMweb Gold

Hi. Just to add that the last batch of 108's from Bachmann had the same size of buffers fitted to them as on the 105's and 101's etc., I can't quite remember just why the earlier 108's from Bachmann had the larger diameter buffers - a mistake maybe?

I know that the larger buffers were fitted onto the long underframe units to help prevent buffer-locking - ovals and 'clipped' types were indeed used as well, including some oval buffers on a small number of LMR class 108's for an unknown (to me) reason.

All the best,

Market65.

• RMweb Premium

To change the subject but still be on topic. Last night I ran my Bachmann 101 and with the DTC leading the marker/rear lights were flickering from white to red, oh the joys of DC modelling.

It is not a problem in the long term as I disarm all locos and DMUs with lights. In the 1960s the lights were so dim that they did not show up in daylight, models seem to be fitted with too bright illumination. I do not run my layout in the dark with just the layout and train lights on, I keep bashing into things. Another thing with lights on models some are inappropriate. The red tail lights, when lit only one would be on and this was very rare as normally a tail lamp was used. So there is no need for lights hence my disarming my models. It also means I don't have to fit lights to my older models. 

A few post ago the Met Cam buffet cars were mentioned, I have a spare Lima center car awaiting conversion to a buffet car. It will be used on the Sheffield Exchange to York services.

Very much agree with Clive.

First generation DMU's were built with headlamps which were illuminated with just one tungsten(?) bulb which were barely visible during daylight. Only in their final few years did the last remaining units receive the square halogen high intensity lamp.  As Clive says a traditional tail lamp fitted to the bracket was attached to the rear.

I find, even on top exhibition layouts, the lamps on older diesels far too bright.  I turn my CV's down to 0 but find they are still too bright, so usually fit a little piece of blackened masking tape inside the body to reduce to just a glimmer (easily removable if ever needed).  I tend to disconnect tail lights altogether.

Great reference books on old DMU's include:

First Generation DMU's in East Anglia (John Brodribb)  Ian Allan ISBN 0-7110-3139-8

First Generation DMU's (Kevin Robertson) Ian Allan ISBN 978-0-7110-2970-5

and First Generation DMU's In Colour (Stuart Mackay) Ian Allan ISBN 0-7110-3156-8

I think in fairness that some people have done really well in making their lights look realistic. For starters, using a grain of rice bulb in place of an LED is a good start if it is an older unit.

Personally I think it's worth working at the lights rather than just dismissing them- but each to our own. I do agree 100% that seeing a 1960s railcar with LED bright headlamps that would put a lighthouse to shame, doesn't look right and it is amazing how many quality layouts overlook this.

The red tail lights, when lit only one would be on and this was very rare as normally a tail lamp was used. So there is no need for lights hence my disarming my models. It also means I don't have to fit lights to my older models. 

Not rare Clive, in the green era you mention it wasn't allowed at all.

Best regards

Simon

• RMweb Gold

It wasn't possible to switch the markers to red until the late 70s or early 80s, there were no red bulbs fitted. The original intention was that a red lense could be dropped in over the white marker light, but this was never authorised in the rule book. Interestingly the loco's on the woodhead did display this arrangement, perhaps the management on this line were more trusting of the properties of electricity!

The tunnel behind Falsegrave Box at Scarborough has been bricked up for many years. The old track bed behind the box infront of the tunnel also has been built on.

I am not old enough to remember the working line to Whitby (what a money-spinner that would be today for through tourist operations from NRM / NYMR circuit trips if still here).

I do however remember the last remnants of Gallows Close.

Sadly just a supermarket now at Gallows Close. I guess they used to hang folk there in the distant past.

Incidentally I remember getting a cabride in a Class 31 in the early 80's. We were shunting the stock and it was so busy the resident 03 pilot pushed us into the tunnel mouth to wait out of the way for a short while until we were clear to finish our shunting manoeuvres. I never saw it happen again so guess I was very lucky to bag the 03 for haulage + the 31 and ride into the tunnel mouth!

Not rare Clive, in the green era you mention it wasn't allowed at all.

Best regards

Simon

Many of the dmus when new actually had a red lens that could placed over the white marker light, this what the lip on the front of the marker light was for. 

The odd dmu fitted with alpha numeric headcode panels also had a red blind, as per Southern units.

Regards

Al Taylor

It would be nice if Bachmann released centre cars separately.

If they think it will be profitable and have the capacity in their factories they probably will but... who knows what Bachmann UK think?

P

It would be nice if Bachmann released centre cars separately. That way if you already have a two car set you can easily make it a three or four car set. Lima did this so it can be done.

The problem with that is that the only Bachmann releases so far have been power-trailer sets (i.e. only one powered vehicle). Three and four car sets would require a DMC as well as an MBS. The 2 car Lima sets were only released as power twins so the addition of a centre car is legitimate.

If Bachmann were to produce a DMC it would be logical to release it as part of a 3 car set.

The next logical step would be to produce a power twin. just like the Cravens. The DMC body is already there, just needs the exhaust sorting pot. The chassis should also be to great problem as the DMBS chassis just needs modifying so it can be  unpowered and be made in plastic.

Then a trailer would be nice, either a TCL or TSL which are basically the same thing, just the seating changes. 

Al Taylor

• RMweb Premium

The next logical step would be to produce a power twin. just like the Cravens. The DMC body is already there, just needs the exhaust sorting pot. The chassis should also be to great problem as the DMBS chassis just needs modifying so it can be  unpowered and be made in plastic.

Then a trailer would be nice, either a TCL or TSL which are basically the same thing, just the seating changes. 

Al Taylor

Would it? I'm not so sure. The Cravens is a different issue as there were only 19 TCLs and they went very early (1969/70?). Did any go into BR blue? I would have thought the Class 108 was a better example.

Would tooling up a Power Twin only generate sufficient sales to justify the cost? Many ordinary modellers will probably be happy with any 2-car version in their livery of choice and won't care about the extra accuracy of a power twin if that's more correct for their operating area, if they have one. Others, which includes me, are likely to wait for a three car version to appear.

Time will tell - hopefully in the new 2015/16 catalogue.

I have just finished putting passengers into both cars, fitting an old Bachmann 21 pin out of a loco I had sold, putting the two cards  on the track  I have found that Both ends of the cars only show red lights at the same time in either direction, I have tried resetting the decoder back to manufacturers setting to no avail. normally I usually only use Lenz and Zimo  decoders but decided to use the Bachmann spare. Also the driving vehicle carriage lights work, however the unpowered lights only work if I put some downward pressure on the coach.

Has any one else had either or both of these problems, the lights I do not understand ,other than a faulty decode.  As for the trailer perhaps some extra weight on the floor perhaps?

I will probably contact Bachmann tomorrow but in the meantime if any one has some suggestions I would be most grateful

Archived