Decorated Samples of Class 101

Nobby (John)

Norm

"North East C1975-1988" = good man! Never a bad location nor a bad era!

(Me: Whitby- 1984-1988)

BTW Your baseboard- aside from the clever ironing board bit, are you a carpenter by trade? Those box joints look really very accurate and strong indeed. They are a credit to you.

Norm,

I've been reading more of your posts about your construction methods. Here's me suggesting how to proceed with your 101 (really regurgitating what I've already been told)- I didn't realise I was addressing a master craftsman. You must be a carpenter or joiner in the "real" world based upon your board construction. That is, I think, the neatest and most professional job of building boards that I have seen yet.

I have only got as far as making a few test "planks" (using them to practice board construction as much as what will live on top) and I think I'm going to have to read your methods thoroughly before I embark on my main project as clearly I can learn from you.

Hi Derek,

Many thanks for your kind words, I'm actually an electronics engineer in the "real" world, however I do really enjoy woodworking. I think 90% of my tools were either my fathers or even grandfathers and I spent many a day of my childhood watching or helping my father with various construction/woodworking projects at home. He wasn't a carpenter or joiner either. So I guess you could say I learned the old fashioned way with skills being passed down. I think taking your time is the key, most mistakes I've made are from rushing things.

For baseboards, you can't go wrong with Tim Horn's laser cut ones. I've just reassembled one I have - I made a hash of it the first time as I rushed it and didn't have the necessary tools available. Proper preparation and it walked itself together second time round.

Back to 101's as we've strayed off topic, modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk have some discounted to £115.50 if anyone is still after one. I'm not the best at identifying dmu coaches side on, but in the video chard posted it looks to me like some of the consists were a pair of 101 driving cars with a 108 centre car between?

Back to 101's as we've strayed off topic, modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk have some discounted to £115.50 if anyone is still after one. I'm not the best at identifying dmu coaches side on, but in the video chard posted it looks to me like some of the consists were a pair of 101 driving cars with a 108 centre car between?

Indeed they were, and I'd not clicked the significance of that detail to this thread until you just pointed it out!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think the volumes through Kernow will upset Bachmann too much and rightly so. I cannot see people purchasing the 116/7/8 having any bearing on whether they also purchase the 101 twin car.

More of a threat to the bach 101 is the far superior (in my opinion) Lima/Hornby version

I think they'd be silly not to given that Kernow are starting with a 3 car for the 116/7/8 project.

I'm waiting for the NSE stripes!

• RMweb Premium

I don't think the volumes through Kernow will upset Bachmann too much and rightly so. I cannot see people purchasing the 116/7/8 having any bearing on whether they also purchase the 101 twin car.

More of a threat to the bach 101 is the far superior (in my opinion) Lima/Hornby version

If you want a Kernow 116 117 118 you will be needing a 3 car 101, either DMBS-TCL-DMCL or DMCL-TBSL-DMCL

• RMweb Premium

Why?

Is there some BR rule that says 101's must be operated as a three car if on the same line as a 11678?

Look at where they operated and what they operated with.

Western Region or Tyseley, all the 101s hey would have regular contact with would be the 3 car WR sets B8xx

Western Region or Tyseley, all the 101s hey would have regular contact with would be the 3 car WR sets B8xx

Depends how far back we go.  There was overlap of Hamilton and other Scottish sheds' 116s with other local depots' Met Cam twins.

But Rich was making the point that Bachmann would be silly not to because kernow are doing this three car 116/7/8. That is a different issue to whether it is prototypically correct to see two units from different makes running together.

Would the same not be true to say that the 101 must be a 3 car because Bachmann also make a Deltic and in the days of the Deltic (North) Eastern 101's were usually 3 cars?

I don't know if Rich meant "Bachmann would be silly not to as people will choose the 116/7/8 over 101 as it's 3 cars and thus better value". But that argument would make more sense.

To be honest, I couldn't work out where the questioning was leading us.  I certainly don't think Bachmann will give us a centre car other than as a result of a diligent business case and demand forecast.

From a purely technical point of view, I wonder how much of the cost of moulds/tooling is down to its design and how much down to its production.

If it's a design issue rather than construction, then the TC is fairly easy. They already have the underframe for a trailer (I assume the DT and TC are the same below?) and in terms of the body it's basically a case of cut and paste on a cad programme to make the design for the tc. Of course, if the mould/tool production is where the cost is then that point is irrelevant.

I know some moulds are built with removable sections to allow variations- ie loco headcode panels. A similar concept would work for 101's wouldn't it? If you're making DT's put in slides 1,2,3 and if a TC, put in slides 4,5,6. I think that's how Hornby did the 110 iirc.

• RMweb Premium

I would be very surprised if we didn't see a 3-car Class 101 at some point. If Bachmann/Farish thought it economic to produce in N gauge, the higher number of OO scale modellers could be expected to give better sales in OO. I think we can also expect to see additional variants of cab front too. Based on previous cases where Bachmann has scaled a model up or down, a look at what has been produced in N gauge would probably serve as a good indicator of what we will eventually get in OO.

There was a buffet version of the TC I believe that worked in 4 car Metro Cammell Scottish sets.......

Feel sure I saw a photo of one of those, declassified, working as part of a South Gosforth 4-car at Monkwearmouth on the Tyne & Wear system circa '76.

EDIT: and I bet it's in a combine

Feel sure I saw a photo of one of those, declassified, working as part of a South Gosforth 4-car at Monkwearmouth on the Tyne & Wear system circa '76.EDIT: and I bet it's in a combine

Don't go encouraging me to create a 4-car set... right era and location that is...

Feel sure I saw a photo of one of those, declassified, working as part of a South Gosforth 4-car at Monkwearmouth on the Tyne & Wear system circa '76.

EDIT: and I bet it's in a combine

Would that not make it Claas-ified?

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I remember seeing one of the buffet cars at Scarborough in '76 or '77. It was in a 4-car set, presumably on an excursion. Thinking of the 4-car sets, there were two versions:

DMBS-TCL-TCL-DMCL and DMCL-TBSL-TSL-DMCL.

I don't really see Bachmann going as far as those sets however! A 3-car set seems much more likely - that's if they think that it would sell sufficiently well.

All the best,

Market65.

Hello all,

Just to make sure everyone is aware, there is a TSBL preserved, technically class 111 (or 101/2) and as such the only class 111 vehicle to survive.  I remember it well as a loco hauled buffet on the K&WVR in the 70s and it was later almost scrapped a couple of times because of asbestos.  Have a look at the GCR page here, which includes a number of photographs.

They were ER vehicles as opposed to Scottish and no need to declassify them as already seconds.

Alun

Archived